Update on my handmade commonplace journal

It’s gorgeous, @Hazel_Rae- beautiful work! :bookmark: :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Hahahaha same. Except art , even though I’m working on my creativity for some reason that stuck lol

7 Likes

@BryWisteria thank you thank you! Now I just have to fill it up!

7 Likes

Thank you all so very much! I have to admit I really enjoyed making it and love learning a new craft. This won’t be the last one I make for certain.

Well I don’t know that I found a cure for it, but I finally made myself draw a few hearts on the last page and that did it… I’m using the journal now!

Oh gosh, that’s beautiful! I love the artwork on the cover :heart: :clap:

So so so many possibilities! I started off small making a hardcover sketchbook. Honestly jumping in and making my first one a casebound hardcover wasn’t the easiest way to learn but it got me hooked. I am a sucker for a hard-bound journal and for one with lots of (over 200) pages. I couldn’t find the right-sized journal (I use a B5), hardcover with 250 pages… so I made one. And then you can foil them, or put raised patterns on the covers, or put leather on the corners, or gild the pages, or put a book lock on, or marble the edges… sigh already dreaming about the next one :laughing:

9 Likes

So, if I were to make a hardbound journal, what would be the best/easiest/most effective cover material? :sweat_smile: Asking anyone with an answer lol

6 Likes

There are two ways - well, I’m sure there are lots more but two basic ways I know so far of making a hardcover book. One is gluing the covers to the text block endpapers and then gluing the spine covering, the other is the casebound method of creating the cover separately and gluing that to the text block endpapers. I need to try the other method to see if I like it. I chose the casebound method first as it’s the one sturdy hardback books are made with.

As to cover material, you can use paper, fabric, leather or book cloth, which you can easily make yourself. I made my own floral bookcloth for my watercolor journal.

I enjoyed watching and learning some techniques Sea Lemon - YouTube but she is a bit self-taught and there are some details she glosses over (like cutting the corners on the cover material) or that she learns later. I can send you links to the pro video channels as well. But Sea Lemon is a good intro. She even has a video on how to make your own bookcloth.

Yes, I might be a wee bit bookbinding obsessed :wink: :rofl:

9 Likes

Thank you for the information and the YouTube recommendation! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think I’m going to find myself down a bookbinding rabbit hole when I have some extra time. This looks like fun - and I already have some ideas for little books to make! :clap: :partying_face:

8 Likes

You’re doing a great job! Very beautiful! :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Amazing work @Artemisia and @Hazel_Rae looking at these I might have another go at making one. It’s a basic enough but there are still things that my brain just can’t comprehend and free-range crafting is one of them but y’all have inspired me to try again

8 Likes

For me, if I can find an online tutorial, either written or video that walks me through the steps, I can tackle harder tasks like bookbinding. There’s NO way I could seat-of-my-pants create something like that. Sculpting a little diety? That is in my comfort zone.

I like the tutorial put together by Sea Lemon - Sea Lemon DIY - Beginning Book Binding :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Thanks I’ll check that one out

7 Likes