Update on my handmade commonplace journal

I have been working on making hardcover journals for sketching and watercolor painting. When Witchy Challenge -Your Sacred Book came up, I decided to make myself a special commonplace book since I was getting near the end of my current one. Here are photos of the book in progress and my challenge entry.

Since I’m still learning bookbinding, I decided to make one without the black leather I have for the cover and use some faux crocodile fabric to cover this one.

I folded and sewed 125 pages together and covered it. Added some metal corner protectors and then divided it into 3 sections. My last book was a mix of different things but I could categorize them into 3 topics. General/self-care, nature notes, and magickal goodies. In my last book, things were all over the place and not organized. I picked three pictures for the first page of each section and added them.

For certain, some mistakes were made and I’ve learned what to not to do the next go-round.

With my fountain pens attached.

The cover page for my general section.

This starts my section on all things Magickal.

And finally, that start of my nature section.

Back cover and spine.

Now I need to get over the fear of messing it up and just start writing in it! :open_book:

19 Likes

Amazing work

9 Likes

This is absolutely stunning! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

That is simply stunning! What a wonderful skill to have. The images are captivating as well.
Thank you for sharing :kissing_heart:

9 Likes

I love your exotic skin journal it’s beautifully put together you did an amazing job all your hard work definitely paid off. :blush::heart::heart::heart:

8 Likes

Beautiful and inspirational, thank you for sharing.
Happy journaling. …

9 Likes

Looks fabulous. So creative. :sparkling_heart:

8 Likes

Wow! That is absolutely stunning!! I, too, have a hard time writing in lovely notebooks because I am afraid of Messi g them up. Let me know if you find a cure for that!!

11 Likes

Wow that is beautiful. Well done to you!

10 Likes

Oh my goodness, Artemisia- this is an amazing book as it is, but having seen it be developed- from the pictures of gathering the pages and other items- to turn into this masterpiece honestly takes my breath away. Look at this! Gosh, the binding and details look professional- if you ever wanted to start a book making business, you certainly have the talent to! :clap: :sparkles: :open_book:

Absolutely phenomenal. And the pictures! And the ribbons! And oh- I could squeal about this all day. Beautiful work, Artemisia- enjoy your new treasure! :blush: :heart:

9 Likes

Oh my! That is gorgeous! Well done! That looks so professional. You did a great job!

8 Likes

Beautiful workmanship :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

Oh my Gods, you made this?! That’s amazing - it looks so awesome! You really have an amazing talent here. I’m with @BryWisteria – I’m sure so many people would pay you for your time and hard work. Of course, it’s a really cool skill to have in general. I love it! :clap:

9 Likes

Those is freaking gorgeous!! I actually did a handmade one as well!

8 Likes

12 Likes

Oh wow, that’s a beautiful journal, too! I love it! You both are inspiring me to create one myself! Now I need to research paper and bindings and… ohh so many possibilities!

9 Likes

Very pretty, @Hazel_Rae! I’d expect to find that one at a Bazaar in Cairo or something. Nice!

8 Likes

It has taken me FOREVERRRRR lol thank you so much I’m not usually creative like that but when I started I just couldn’t stop. I remember learning in like middle school how to bind a journal and I just found all the right pieces

7 Likes

I don’t remember anything from Middle School except for how many of the teachers I didn’t like. LOL!

7 Likes

I still remember a poem I memorized in third grade, every word. :laughing: Not that it does me any good now!

7 Likes