📔 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Your Sacred Book

Links listed may go to content that is private for the Coven - please remember to log in so that you can access everything!

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Witch Stereotypes :thinking:

After a lot of good pondering, it’s time to step out of the mind and head over to the bookshelf- or altar, desk, other place you keep your most important magickal tools. We’re hitting the books! :books: :grinning:

The theme for this week’s challenge is…

Sacred Books Shadows Mirrors Grimoire Spells8

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: :sparkles: A Witch’s Sacred Book :mage: :writing_hand:

Grimoires, BoS, Witch Journals and more-
What Sacred Book(s) do you use in your practice?

What comes to mind when you think of a Witch’s Book? For many, it’s usually the Book of Shadows or the Grimoire (similar but distinct- learn about the differences between a Grimoire and a BoS), but there are many types of Sacred Books that witches use to assist in their practice! :books:

A witch might also choose to keep their own Book of Mirrors or other Witch Journal. Logs and diaries are invaluable for learning, leading many practitioners to keep a Tarot Log, Dream Diary, Materia Medica or other type of practice log. The Book(s) that a witch chooses to keep reflect themselves, their magickal interests and areas of studies, and the unique qualities of their own personal magickal practice.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s challenge is all about Sacred Books - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

@Silverbear’s Spell Book shared in BoS or Grimoire?

STEP 1 : The Sacred Books :books:

This challenge is about Sacred Books- but how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Show off your Book(s)! :books:

What Books do you use in your practice? This is your chance to show off your beloved companion (if you’re comfortable doing so!). Feel free to talk about:

• The story of your Book(s)- how and when did you start it?

• What you use your Book for

• How your Book helps your practice

• Etc.

@Artemisia’s journal shared in Making a Tarot Journal

Make a Book :scroll:

Don’t have a Sacred Book yet? Always wanted to start a Journal or Dream Diary but never got around to it? This is your sign to make it happen!

How to Start a Book of Shadows
Your-Book-of-Shadows-360x240

Free Grimoire Pages to Get Started
Free-Grimoire-Pages-Printable-Spells8-360x240

Book of Mirrors: A Witch’s Development Journal
Book-of-Mirrors-Wicca-Witchcraft-360x240

Materia Medica Printable Pages
Materia Medica Printable Pages

Discussions about making and keeping a Sacred Book:

Bless Your Book :pray:

Although it depends on the witch, many practitioners choose to consecrate their new Books and, like their other magickal tools, cleanse and purify their Books as needed. If that is something that interests you, here are a few spells you might use.

Blessing Your Book of Shadows: Step-by-Step Guide
Book-of-Shadows-Blessing-360x240

Simple Spell to Consecrate Your Magickal Tools
Wicca-Tool-Consecration-Spell-360x240

Book of Shadows Blessing by @Silverbear

… And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore Sacred Books in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

@Amaris_Bane’s BoS shared in New Book of Shadows Dedication

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, July 25 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2023-07-25T11:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you don’t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

@Ostara’s BoS shared in 1 Year with 600 Page BoS

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

From Spells8: Pages for Your BoS or Grimoire

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Spells and dreams, potions and more
To read the Book is never a bore*
Full of magick and wonder from start to end-
A Sacred Book is a witch’s best friend!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :notebook_with_decorative_cover: :sparkles:

21 Likes

Books! Journals! Oh I’m in heaven. Yeah :sparkling_heart::joy::open_book::books:

14 Likes

haha looks like I may end up taking a screenshot of my Google Drive :joy: because that’s where my Grimoire is kept right now. I don’t have a physical one yet. Hopefully, soon, but I don’t actually write a lot of my information down!

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

Ok, I love my books and don’t know where to start. So I’m going to try and answer the questions above.

What book got me started.
Sally Morningstar The Way of the Witch. This was my first book and helped structure my mind. It also touched my heart. From her by Magick I found :
Witchery by Juliet Diaz. Very different book. This actually taught me skills, rituals and spirit connection, the book itself was connected to spirit.

The book that’s currently advancing my craft is “The Modern Witchcraft Guide to Runes” by Judy Ann Nock. I think my main focus in the craft has always been to connect with spirit/divine. I just love that. I’d love love to do a course with The College of Psychic Studies on become psychic, but I’m a little “scared” at the moment. That will be for another day, for another book :joy:
My kindle is FULL of books. :joy: but the above influenced my craft the most, and still do. Then I have my daily devotional books to Loki which helps me connect to him, where I record my daily chats and experiences.

So my grimoire/BOS/diary/scrapbook/photo book/journal. It’s literally Everything I see, hear, learn, that gets dumped in there, in no particular order. It’s a MESS :joy:, but I know where everything is, so I guess that’s what matters :flushed:
I started it last year, it’s just 4/5 note books in a pretty folder, so I can add to it, remove, update etc. Here’s some pictures.

I think I will most enjoy this book, next year, when I look back over it and see my journey, what worked, what didn’t, what I’ve learnt, the wisdom imparted to me by fellow witches, the laughs, the heartache, the joy, the tears, everything I have lost but so much more I have gained. And one day, when I have moved on, this old book may inspire my kids or someone else to take up this beautiful way of life. :sparkling_heart:

16 Likes

Yay! This is going to be fun! :open_book:

12 Likes

:heavy_heart_exclamation: Oh my gosh!!! I’m so excited!!! Funny how things work, the timing of things!!! I have been starting to make my own journals for drawing and one for watercolor for when I’m brave enough to try to learn painting again!

Can not wait to make my own commonplace book :heart_on_fire:. I’m almost to the end of my very first one that I use for all my tarot and witchy things. I found this one online last year but had been thinking it would be nice to have one in the size I really want - B5 but apparently, that’s hard to find in the number of pages I want… so… I’ll make it! :closed_book: :magic_wand: :herb: :candle: :tarot_card:

13 Likes

Eek! This is such a fun challenge, as I’m a mega bookworm & writer myself. I’ve been out of rhythm for a few months and not feeling myself, but am glad to say that I’m feeling better the past few days.
Challenge Entry: I have a physical bos that I’m working on, and started not too long ago when I started my practice. I am very proud of how much I’ve accomplished with it, collecting info and making it look cute! I have a couple different witchy books that I’m currently reading, and I really like my Witch School book because it’s broadened my knowledge and taught me magical exercises (like psychic shielding) that help me in my every day life. My ebooks are some of my favorite too, by Lisa Chamberlain. She has a way with words that’s easy to understand, and includes lots of beginner friendly spells/charms/recipes. Also, as a writer, my journals are part of my soul. I have a book of mirrors & a shadow work journal that I’m working on, in an app. I love the opportunity to show off my books! :books::heart:

15 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I’m going easy with this one

This is where I keep material that is or is adapted from work that is not solely mine

This is where I keep my own work, notes and “When working this, do that” kind of stuff

This is my Materia Magica with it’s very special bookmark

15 Likes

Nixi I absolutely love your journal it’s is so earthy and I think it’s beautiful!
I am loving this challenge it may help me to get back into this space and honor and bless my books again so I can live a magical life!

I am making a declaration to do more spells with you all!

I have this Book Of Shawdows that I ordered on eBay
Jeannie

16 Likes

The timing of this is a little crazy. My 600 page one is almost full, and I also have a binder that is full. I have a collection of blank books, but I have had my eyes on a binder from Zazzle. I splurged on Saturday and ordered it. It shipped yesterday from San Diego, so it will take it a few days to get here.

@Jeannie1 I have that same leather one with the stones! Did you get your binders from Zazzle? I ordered a black and silver one.

13 Likes

My entry for this challenge:
My sacred books consist of my book of shadows, Soul Discovery 3 by Cassie Uhl, Daily Oracle by Jerico Mandybur, Astrology-Taurus by Chantale Montpetit, Self Care: How to live mindfully and look after yourself by Claire Chamberlain and last but definitely not least, Manifesting With Crystals by the late and lovely Judy Hall.

Thank you for this challenge! I always love using these books when I feel insecure, down or alone. Reading, writing and journaling help! Oh, I forgot my dream journal. I’ve found so much about myself through this journal.

Blessed be Spells8 family!:pray:

16 Likes

Challenge entry pt1
So i think for this challenge i want to tie in something working on and trying to do each day. Ive got one deck ( app on phone ) called crystalys tarot and i picked the pentagram spread with significator. I selected to draw in reading rather than selecting myself.
Ive done for 4 days so far. Same spread, same deck, same question… what energies surround me tommorow
I want to make a book for this to track each day n also reflect on the journey. I started one but its too small and i need to have more space for notes for reflection, not just writing the message. Stuff like cards that come up alot or suits that are significant etc. Ill try take photo of this particular book of mirrors once im created it and maybe a page from there or something, but for now ive just got the digital copy.
Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

So far i have noticed fire/wands or in this case spiral suit has come up Alot. :thinking:
Stones/ earth / pentacles also seem to come alot but doesnt seem as much rhen mirrors/water/cups
No air/sword/scrolls so far
But major arcana has come up.

The spread has :
Top card ( point) spirit
What energies or imputus surrounds reading

Moving in clockwise direction, the one to right= water
symbolises unexpected energies at play

Bottom right= fire
*changes in immediate future *

Bottom left = earth
*symbolises current situation and expectations *

Top right = air
Symbolises long term outcome

What i have noted is the 5 of spirals (wands) has come up 3 out of 4 times but in different positions. First as significator to represent me, then 2 days later in earth position to symbolise current situation and expectations, then todays reading for tommorow has it in the fire position in changes in immediate future. Which this pattern has been interesting and why wanted to or part of why wanted to make a book of mirrors just for this spread and to do each day because a day spread on its own can tell you something but so can the patterns in the readings over time. Like i noted that yesterdays readibg for today placed 5 of spirals as current situation and expectations. So today that was the present situation. And todays read for tommorow has the 5 of spiral move to change in immediate future meaning that tge 5 of spirals(wands ) energy from today or situation will flow into tommorow as well.

Thats just one pattern noted… but save me blabbering about all the stuff i might note in book of mirtors for this spread n daily read, i just thought id share one of insights so get an idea of how i was using the spread and will use this particular book of mirrors :grin:

16 Likes

Challenge Entry

I have two physical BOS’s. One has a dragon on the front cover and…wow, I forget what is on the other one because I haven’t written in it for a while. :sweat_smile:

My first BOS has information on the moon phases, crystals, colors and their meanings, and… umm… I forgot.

My Draconic BOS has information on fiery herbs, dragon gods and goddesses, draconic spells, etc. It became a book of mirrors too and started getting messy, until my best friend gave me a small journal with a peacock on the front cover. I started writing in it on New Years’s Day 2023 and I am more than halfway through the pages. I write down the tarot or oracle cards I draw and what I think they mean. Recently, I started dating my entries with the date, the moon phase and what zodiac sign she’s in. I’ll need to buy another journal for 2024.

But my BOS is mostly in the Notes section of my iPhone. Sometimes, I’ll transfer some of my draconic spells to my dragon BOS.

Maybe someday, I’ll buy another BOS and copy down all the information I’ve gathered over the years, which is a lot!

16 Likes

Oh… I have a couple of sacred books that I am working on right now! I received both of them recently & have just been trying to get the information for each of them :hugs: I like this one! I always have a Book of Mirrors too! :two_hearts: I’ll have to get my books out now! :books:

11 Likes

Thank you @Jeannie1 Your books are beautiful

11 Likes

challenge entry pt 2 and also another project for book of shadows

I decided for now to create a digital book of mirrors as this will make easier tracking esp as i could just upload the screenshots from app and any other stuff might be relevent to readings like this

As ive noticed no swords turning up it looks like the pattern over past week been doing reading is showing that perhaps my critical thinking skills need work…
I found this that can add to the digital book of mirrors

Which could also turn into questions i can do in other readings to work on this .

I have also been having alot of videos on adhd coming up on my feeds even when i hadnt looked for them specifically and while ive not been diagnosed with this ( id not seen it as possible as i grew up being told adhd dont exist its just prodyct of bad parenting by my parents) but i was suprised how much i related to n experience many of the symptoms on a constant basis and just dismissed as just being me, or as being just overtired or beating myself up or feeling bad not kblwing whu i was this way… if i did get diagnosed with adhd ( im now planning to speak to doctor about posdibility as it may make life a little easier if there is treatment of tips etc that can do to help improve things. Omg so much i relate to but while if its true that i am or do have would provide relief habinh explaination n perhaps not beat self up so much there is a sadness that goes with it that ive gone nearly 39 years not knowing this was why i struggled to focus, started projects n then find piles of projects in the middle off. Why i go to do one thing tgrn find myself doing a whole bunch of other stuff n an hour later realise id got distracted from a task doing or was going to do n still not done. I have a wall of piles of doom as they call it. Out of sight out of mind. But i overcompinsate to mask symptoms so i dont loose job or friends of family without consciously realising im doing it…

The reason i share this is because thinking about a book of shadows. Ive started many but tgen forget about them because they are not infront of me, my mind get distracted by all thoughts in head, overwhelned by all nedd to do etc n i end up stop putting stuff in it as well as using. Ive tried one book of shadows looking at daily practices based on day but that too is somewhere with other witchy books n stuff. Sometimes i get overwhelned trying yo make it perfect or getting everything in it n how to plan it out do make sense n can use etc. . .

But i was thinking about some of things picked up from the videos on tips for ppl with adhd that might help and try avoid overwhelming myself then not getting stuff done but also to account for my brain jumping all over the place and that if i try too much to organise n get perfect, i wont get far if at all.

So my idea was to get a nice notebook for a simple book of shadows. Im not going to try put in everything in there. Too much info or detail will put me off unless in that super focused state and that doesnt always ladt as long as like. But some things ill put in there will be like stuff ill use regularly n everyday.

Like my daily blessing prayer to my clan.

I can put in a recipe for herbal honey to mix with milk with whatever intention that has.

I can put the pentegram spread layout in there.

Im going to not try not structure it because if an idea doesnt quite fit or turns out not as useful as thought might be i might not know where to put it or if i went oh i could make a book just for spreads or just for recipes but only have one or two, its going to be too spread out n ill forget i have other book. N wastes a book too when could of been all in one. It will be a book of shadows that i record rituals, recipes, spells or prayers etc as they come, but by not requiring myself to have a ceryain order i can just write it in the next available page. I hope it works. Plus to make sure i use and remember it exists ill keep it somewhere ill see and can enter stuff in or read easily.

So this entry has be two fold. One a book of mirrors for the daily pentagram spreads and the progress made with that ( pt2) and also the idea had for a useable and simple book of shadows. It may not be pretty it may be all over the place but i can always make an index or contents page if need and as add stuff enter into the contents/index to easily find stuff or create tabs to easily find stuff. But i feel i need to work with my brain rather than fight it in order to try have a book of shadows that will be useful not just in short term but long term. Even simple things like a mixture or essential oils to use when cleaning or washing and what they are for. Ie intention… and could even have a spell ( ie words) that goes with it or runes that draw as clean. Everything that goes in will be relevent and practical n based on everyday stuff. And ill keep it simple so i dont get overwhelmed.

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I love books, whether reading them on paper or kindle or whether writing in my own so I do have a lot to share here.

I will start with my key 6. These are my go to books for advice on rituals and meditations for working with the deities. They also provide recipes for incense, the meanings of amulets and hieroglyphs as well as spells for different purposes. They also provide the background to the deities needed when determining who is best to work with for particular needs.

I also have quite a collection on my kindle for general reference and extending my knowledge and understanding:

Each day I do a daily tarot draw and record my thinking as to what it is telling me. I also make a sketch of the card so that the components and symbols become more familiar( I just chose a random page to show…)

In the evening I reflect on the tarot card in a different book/journal. This is where I also record my feelings and experiences after rituals, spells, meditations and even just the mundane goings-on throughout the day. (I’ve blurred the content)

Then I come to my “home made books”. My BoS ( I think) contains my prayers, correspondences, numerology, colour, planetary magick and herb/oil info as well as my deities. It also contains my moon rituals. It is very much still in progress hence the blank pages that have been left for things I haven’t got around to. Here is a quick flick through…

Finally is my scrapbook which shows some of this in a more crafty and creative way. It also contains mini pop up altars for deities. Here is a video that I have posted before…

Blessed be

Alan

20 Likes

Those are some beautiful sketches of some tarot cards! :heart:

14 Likes

Oh wow Alan :star_struck: your scrap book is absolutely beautiful! I watched that video multiple times I can’t believe the detail I mean it’s exquisite!!! You have a gift your talented in every way your art is incredible your ideas I can’t imagine how long it took to put all that together and your book of shadows :heart_eyes: your hand writing is beautiful the drawings of herbs :herb: the planets :ringer_planet: the tarot cards it’s the most intriguing self made book I’ve ever seen and we are so lucky you shared it with us. I could watch these videos over and over just admiring the colors and detail you put into every page it’s truly something special. You created something so unique so personal and beautiful and I can’t thank you enough for sharing. Blessed be :infinite_roots: :sparkling_heart::sparkles::full_moon::waning_gibbous_moon::last_quarter_moon::waning_crescent_moon::new_moon::waxing_crescent_moon::first_quarter_moon::waxing_gibbous_moon:

14 Likes

Aww thank you so much. I am glad you like them. I love art and craft so it was the perfect way to incorporate it all together. I can get lost for hours just drawing and crafting away and before i knownit, ive lost a day. My handwriting comes from.my job as a primary school teacher so it just carries into my writing out of work.

Thanks again for your lovely comments

Blessed be

Alan

12 Likes