Handwritting Challenge - Tarot Journal

I am a tactile learner and use handwriting notes to help me learn concepts. I have always had several notebooks and journals going at one time. I even use a physical day planner to write out my schedule and to-do lists and an online tool (I can’t get away from digital calendars entirely since I am currently trying to balance five calendars).

For this challenge, I decided I wanted to discuss the Writual Planner, which is a tarot journal.

By far my favorite, the Writual Planner is a tarot journal that I use daily. I believe that I have mentioned this journal before. In the beginning, there are tons of informational pages that include tarot card meanings cheat sheets, an astrological reference guide (including retrograde dates), tarot spread ideas and a place to add your birth chart with houses, planets, and aspects.

This section is followed by a “2022 Year Ahead” spread.

Each month has a full calendar that includes the sun signs, new & full moon dates, moon phases/planetary aspects/ingresses + directions on each calendar day. The month calendar also has a habit tracker for up to six habits.

Each month has a page for journaling, goals, and action steps, as well as a monthly tarot spread. The journaling page has spots for the following:

• Intentions
  • The month’s priorities
  • “Feeling Inspired By.”
  • “Looking forward to”
  • “Need to Let Go of”
  • “How I want to feel”

There is also a highlights box that I go back and fill in at the end of the month with things that stood out to me.

The weekly section contains a spot to record an affirmation/mantra/intention for the week and a single card pull for the week’s energy. Each day then has a three-card layout. Note: for 2023, Writual Planner has introduced a one-card layout in addition to the three-card. There is no defined layout you must use, but there are some suggestions at the beginning of the planner. I generally use either of the following:

• (1) What is the energy of the day? (2) What should I focus on today? (3) What should I avoid/release today?
  • (1) What do I need to release today? (2) What should I allow to come into my life? (3) What should I embrace today?

I will change it up and use a current state of my mind/body/spirit spread at times. I also note which deck I am using. I am a scientist, so looking for treads is my thing. I track how often a deck calls to me and what cards I pull daily. I log this information into a spreadsheet that I have so that I can see trends that are occurring. For example, I can see that for September, over 60% of my cards were numbered, almost equally split between the suit except for pentacles, and I had slightly more uprights than reversals (59% vs. 41%). Yeah, I know; I’m a nerd, lol.

After you document your cards in the provided space, there is a small section for your interpretation. There is also a section for reflection at the bottom of each day. I hardly use this unless something stood out to me since I have a separate Book of Mirrors that I journal in almost daily.

At the end of the planner is a set of New Moon and Full Moon journal pages for each lunar phase throughout the year. The spread is suggested at the beginning, but you can use any 6-card spread you want.

This planner/tarot journal has helped make tarot readings part of my daily morning routine. I have become more comfortable with tarot and the cards’ meanings by doing an everyday spread. I also have grown the connection between my decks and me. I have already pre-ordered the 2023 journal!

:fountain_pen: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Handwritten Magick

15 Likes

Wow! I love this journal @Amaris_Bane

When I was in college, I always took lots of notes, and it really helped me to learn and remember what the professor said. Anyway, I think I might be a Tactical Learner too!

I think you are doing a great job, filling it out. I bought some undated pages to print on Etsy and put them in a notebook. I tend to do this at the beginning of every year :rofl: and I only fill out 2 or 3 months. :slightly_frowning_face:

I admire you for doing such a great job. Thanks so much for the great challenge entry! Thank you for inspiring me to try again.

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

11 Likes

Thank you as always, @marsha! I by no means complete every day in here! During the spring, I had a couple of months where I would fill out maybe 1/8 of the days, lol.

I also realized that I should have put tactile learner and not tactical. I don’t think we are learning through combat! Well, most of the time. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

I mean you never know when you may have to be a tactical witch! :laughing:

10 Likes

@Susurrus very true!!

And thank you for linking it back!

9 Likes

I interpreted it as tactile, I didn’t even notice… duh! :rofl:

7 Likes

@Amaris_Bane no worries, its a thing I do to help with counting entries. If you ever post your entry on the weekly challenge thread, I will put Challenge Entry at the top but make it bigger & in bold. You don’t have to, but if you think of it, type 2 pound signs next to each other then a space then Challenge Entry at the very top, if you don’t, no worries, I go through them & add it to the entries :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Wow. That is some serious journaling. Kudos to you!

7 Likes

Thank you for that tip!! I usually link back in my separate posts but was multitasking at work (in a meeting I didn’t really need to be in lol).

7 Likes

Ooooooo yay! I love your entry! I have been enticed by the Writual Journal but haven’t taken the plunge yet worrying whether it would be useful to me.

Thank you for such a wonderful and detailed entry this week! :writing_hand:t4: :tarot_card:

7 Likes

Ohhh @BryWisteria (read this like the Sanderson Sisters saying “Oh bOOOooook!” :laughing:) – I smell a new challenge!

Also, this Writual Planner looks amazing! I may have to get one for myself next year :thinking:

7 Likes

@Amaris_Bane I love this journal! That is amazing. One more thing to add to my to buy list. This coven is certainly hard on the pocket book :joy::joy:

Some days I am a complete geek and I love it. So nerd away- it’s awesome!

My friend took a course on the brain and apparently we learn better when we take handwritten notes because of the process we have to go through, I think in part because we have to synthesize what is being said as we write it down. I know in uni I was not able to write verbatim. However I was a much faster writer then. We apparently also learn better reading from a book than a screen.

Thanks for sharing your journal.

9 Likes

Wow!! What a wonderful job!!!

I tried to make one, but stop writing it in May. Work steals a lot of time that I could spend on my witchcraft! :rofl:

8 Likes

:point_up: Witch journal goals right here!!! :point_up:

Gosh, Amaris- this is gorgeous! Look at how neat and organized everything is, all the pretty pictures and the moon phase calendar and your lovely intentions and the pretty natal chart and and and and…

I need to stop, I’m drooling :joy:

Your journal is seriously a witch’s dream come true- it is really inspirational to see! :heart:

Martial arts magick here we goooooo :rofl:

Omg Megan I can literally hear it in Winifred Sanderson’s voice :rofl:

Tactical Magick is now on the challenge list :heavy_check_mark: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Exactly how we will do a magick fight club Tactical Magickal Challenge is beyond me right now, but we’ll put it in the brainstormer and see what happens :laughing:

10 Likes

Now I cant take it off my mind!! I really love that movie

9 Likes

I’m sorry I didn’t mention more thoughts on the actual entry… I was in & out quick yesterday… Mondayest of all Mondays for me yesterday :laughing:

I love :heart: the work you have put into it & the journal itself :heart_eyes:

It’s along the same lines as the Grimoire that I’m writing, it has the ways I honor my Goddesses and recipes for different things that I do regularly. I also have a healing journal with the first few pages containing healing & loving phrases & words with charms that represent the things that others would like to have in their lives to help bring them back. Then I have a complete page for each person in it & laminate the pages once they are written on & I keep a blank page just in case I need to add to their healing or love that I am sending their way.

@MeganB & @BryWisteria you’re welcome :rofl:

7 Likes

@Artemisia and @Phoenix_Rose, I love it and get a ton of use out of it. You can also get a digital version as well if you prefer the tech way.

@MeganB, I love the idea of doing this as a challenge. And now I have Hocus Pocus stuck in my head! I sadly have not had a chance to watch the new one yet. :cry:

@Phoenix_Rose I can agree there! I hate trying to read on a screen when I’m learning something. I do use my kindle for fun reads though I do miss the feel of a book. I just don’t have the room for the 100s I have/want in my camper.

@SpanishWitchy, preaching to the choir! I spend 40+ hours with various clients. Add in the time for basic self-care, cooking, cleaning, and spending time with friends and family, I have no time left! One of my goals this quarter is to incorporate the Craft and spirituality into my daily routines.

@BryWisteria Awww, thanks! :blush: :blush: Remember the first rule of magick fight club is we don’t talk about magick fight club. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Susurrus, no worries, dear! We all have those days. I am writing a formal BoS in which I am putting similar material. I love the idea of a healing journal. Now I have an excuse to buy a new journal! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

Mission Accomplished :rofl: also I love that you put magick fight club lol because sshhh :shushing_face: we can’t talk about it!

I love it too!

I haven’t either but I think my daughter and I might make it a date this weekend to watch the movie and have popcorn. We’ll see!

8 Likes

I also have no problem being an enabler in this setting :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

7 Likes

That’s it, then! I’ll post magick fight club: The Challenge and it will sit for a week with no replies :joy: The challenge will be not responding :shushing_face: :laughing:

On another completely unrelated note if anyone does happen across any instances where magick can be used in martial arts/combat… you know who to DM :wink:

Yesssss! Enablers help everyone have more fun! :rofl::two_hearts:

7 Likes