🖋 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Handwritten Magick

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Conditional Magick :white_check_mark:

With casting circumstances mastered and conditions checked off the to-do list, it’s time to roll up our sleeves and get to work!

The crafty theme for this week’s challenge was suggested by @jan_TheGreenWitch (with additional input and ideas from @Susurrus and @Amaris_Bane too- thank you all!) and is…

Handwritten Writing Challenge Spells8

:fountain_pen: :scroll: By the Hand, From the Heart - Handwritten Magick :raised_hands: :sparkles:

You hold magick- it’s time to show what your own two hands can do!

From drawing to calligraphy, sketching sigils to designing an altar space, writing spells or planning rituals- anything written or drawn by hand is game for this challenge! Feel free to show your talents via traditional pen-and-paper methods :memo: or express your handiwork through technomancy means (keyboard, tablet, etc) :keyboard:

This challenge is in the same series as the previous Symbols & Sigils and Handcrafting Challenges, but the focus this time is on expressing the magick you hold in your palms- so put pen to paper (or click those keys!) and let the magick flow!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This week’s theme challenges you to use handwritten magick - but as always, how you do so is up to you!

So are you ready? Because it’s…

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

STEP 1 : Magick in Your Palms :open_hands:

This challenge is all about handwritten magick- there are many ways you could go about exploring this theme!

Still not sure where to begin?

To help you get started, the following list has a few suggestions in which a witch might approach this challenge! :sparkles:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

:open_book: Write in Your Sacred Book

Write a new entry in your Book of Shadows, Book of Mirrors, Grimoire or other sacred book! Taking the time to write it by hand not only makes it purely and uniquely yours, doing so can help to engrain the messages in your mind and improve memory retention.

How to Start a Book of Shadows
Your-Book-of-Shadows-360x240

All About Grimoires and Free Grimoire Downloads
Ancient-and-Classical-Grimoires-PDF-Download-360x240

Book of Mirrors: The Witch’s Development Journal
Book-of-Mirrors-Wicca-Witchcraft-360x240

:fountain_pen: Calligraphy

Calligraphy takes handwriting and makes it an art! With some flourishes and striking ink, decorate pages, do the fancy details on the cover, add intricate details and more to your spell pages, Sacred Book, or other magickal items.

:writing_hand: Journalling

A witch’s journals can be many in number- from recording Tarot or divination readings, dream journals, a book of mirrors, and more, there are many ways to use journalling in the Craft! If you’re not sure where to begin, consider using using premade journal prompts or follow a journaling page.

The Witch’s Journal: Intro to Magickal Journalling
The-Witchs-Magical-Journal-360x240

How to Keep a Rune Journal
Rune-journal-lesson-thumb-360x240

Magickal Prompts for Journalling Every Day
Magickal-Prompts-for-Journaling-thumb-360x240

:triquetra: Drawing Sigils and Symbols

From protective symbols, divine symbols, personal sigils and more- consider designing and drawing a meaningful sigil or symbol this week! Visit the previous challenge and don’t forgot to take a look at the many wonderful challenge entries shared from coven members! :pentagram:

:triangular_ruler: Magickal Design

Want to upgrade your altar space? Dreaming of a witch “den” to make your own? You don’t have to be an artist- consider mapping out and designing a space, item, spell, ritual, or other!

Feel free to check out the sacred spaces of fellow coven members for ideas!

:art: Art Magick

For some creative ideas, feel free to visit the past challenge and check out coven members’ entries!

:magic_wand: Spell Writing

Even more so now than ever, writing your own spells is a great medium for exploring the challenge theme!

My Spellwriting Process
How-to-write-magic-spells-400x267

How to Write Your Own Spells
Writing-your-own-spells-Wicca-360x240

:raised_hands: …And More!

As always, you are free to draw on your creativity and pursue the theme of conditions and circumstances in magick in ways that suit your unique magickal practice :blush:

Picture from Pixabay

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Please click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

For your entry to be counted towards the challenge, please share:

1. What handwritten magick you did this week

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

You are welcome to post it right here- just click “reply” :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new thread in the forum (doing so keeps your entry separate and is a good option if you have a lot to share)

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please add the “challenge-entry” tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, October 4th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time)
( 2022-10-04T05:00:00Z)

(Note that the time zone is CET- you can use this time zone calculator to switch into your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Screen-Shot-2017-05-21-at-7.52.57-PM
From Alchemy: A Symbolic Story

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from Pixabay

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Writing and magick go hand in hand
But if you’re still not sure just where to start-
There’s only one thing you need to understand:
If it comes from the hand, it comes from the heart!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed be! :fountain_pen: :sparkles:

19 Likes

Do you want a picture of our handwriting? Because, yeah, that’s not gonna be a good picture for me. LOL!

16 Likes

This is perfect! I have just started my BoS so I have a lot of writing to show :blush:

14 Likes

To be honest, I’ve been slacking horribly in learning the Dovahzul alphabet. I rarely write with pen or pencil anymore and there aren’t any Dovahzul keyboards that I can add to my phone. I did, however, find a website that changes sentences written with the Latin/English alphabet to the Dovahzul alphabet. Luckily the text can be saved as a picture, so I’ll use that as my entry. I just need to figure out what to write. Maybe it’ll be a prayer for everyone who will be affected by Hurricane Ian.

Lu ko hin Hil (Magick is within your heart).

20 Likes

This challenge is going to be fun!!! I have so many things I could use for this challenge. I have always preferred handwriting over typing. In Grad School, almost everyone took notes on laptops; I was one of the few that still used notebooks. I am a tactical learner, so writing helps me retain information.

18 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Handwritten Magick Entry

Well, I did not get last week’s challenge in, but I am going to make sure I do this week. The Challenge I want to explore is Light Language. I was looking into this topic for quite a while, and it is beautiful.

When I was trying to draw the alphabet, it really put me in a concentration mode which is a place I need to be when learning new knowledge. I am going to my Pinterest account and do some more research there on this topic.

18 Likes

Kasandra,

I am looking forward to reading your Challenge on the Dovahzul alphabet. I have never heard of this alphabet, and it looks like it could be a challenge to write. l think that you might “write a prayer for everyone who will be affected by Hurricane Ian” is a wonderful empathic choice!

Medea

15 Likes

Thank you BRY!!! I’m so happy - I have done the last couple of challenges but just too ill to post about them, I am hoping to be well and fit to submit this one!!! :writing_hand::fountain_pen:

12 Likes

Im sooo the same, im a tactile and visyal learner n i find i prefer yo write over typing especially with big concepts even if i have to type it up later. The movement of pen, feel of the paper, turning of pages, and beibg anle to see whole page without scroll screen or shrinking it to point need to squint to read lol yeah im someone that prefers tactile writing too. I also will often make notes in columns, underline, highlight etc esp like for assignments. Peer reviewed articles even if on computer i need to print out n tgen ill read n maje notes n highlight etc on the print out n beong able to do it that way helps me process info n understand it better, plus i guess im judt old fashioned and as long as its legible i prefer to write too. At least initislly even if to type it up after say for record or assignments to hand in.

12 Likes

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what is Davahzul? Like where is it from? Ive not heard of it but i was fascinated so i just thought id ask. I hope thats ok. The writing looks cool😊

12 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challenge - Handwritten Magick Entry

@TheMuslimWitch

I tend to journal in my book of mirrors with a quill pen and ink to add a little classy touch to it. I have also taken on writing letters recently and making use of a new wax seal set with a cat surrounded by plants as the stamp design. I feel it gives me time to really put my heart into it as it requires more concertation for me to make sure i make it neat.

14 Likes

I am very excited to write in my BOS so I can write down how I feel afterwards!
Also I want to write a prayer :pray:t4: for Mars Energy in Gemini :gemini:
I just made some sigils for my room and I need to jot down in my book how it all went! I made the elements Earth, Air, Fire and water :sweat_drops: out of maple :maple_leaf: so I can get closer to the elements. I also made a wreath to allow the energies of fall into the home. For the elements now I must write a invocation and incorporate them into my spell work. I can’t always do everything in o e night it takes planning and all that!
Jeannie

10 Likes

Blockquote
I have also taken on writing letters recently and making use of a new wax seal set with a cat surrounded by plants as the stamp design. I feel it gives me time to really put my heart into it as it requires more concertation for me to make sure i make it neat.

I have wanting to get the wax too recently I invested in some stamps and I am going to be using stamping up and a embosser so I am excited :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I really understand about putting focus into it! I I know it will turn out really good :blush:

Jeannie

13 Likes

Thanks they are so lovely. I have just sent a letter to my mum just to test it out and got the idea to a lovely gentleman who sold a car to us and put the receipt in an envelope and went to the trouble to even make a nice wax seal on it… :blush:

10 Likes

@Amethyst Hahaha you don’t need to show a picture if you don’t want to, but rest assured my friend- you do not have the worst handwriting here :wink: Writing notes by hand in school was not an option for me- oftentimes I can’t even read my own handwriting :joy:

@stavroula Hooray! Congrats on the start of your BoS! :partying_face: :heart:

@Kasandra Ohhhh look at those pretty characters- Dovahzul is really fascinating to look at! A shame there isn’t a downloaded keyboard for it yet, but that’s awesome there’s a website that helps! And such a beautiful phrase to capture in Dovahzul- I love it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Amaris_Bane You’re a legend, Amaris- I always wished I had nice enough handwriting to be able to take pretty notes! I agree that writing it by hand helps it to stick in the mind- but anything that didn’t stick was gone forever as I couldn’t read my notes again later in the future lol. I hope you enjoy the theme- can’t wait to see what you’ll do! :heart:

@Medea Light language sounds amazing, Medea! :star_struck: I would love to learn more about the alphabet and how you use it- wishing you all the best with your studies, good luck and enjoy! :sparkles:

@jan_TheGreenWitch Thank YOU, Jan- it’s an awesome theme for a challenge! :blush: I hope you’re continue to get good rest and heal up- if you feel well enough for an entry, then I’ll look forward to seeing it! If not, no worries at all- there’s always a chance later on for a catch-up challenge. Be well- lots of love and light to you! :sparkling_heart:

@Phoenix_Fire Kasandra is a Dovahzul master and will probably explain it better than I can, but Dovahazul is a draconic language that emerged from the Elder Scrolls series, particularly in the game Skyrim. Kasandra has put a lot of hard work into learning it and has really mastered it over time! :open_book: :sparkles:

@TheMuslimWitch A quill and ink is a very classy and elegant way to write in your BoM- I bet it looks fantastic and is fun to write with! :feather: And ohhhh I love how wax seals look- they really take a letter and bring it to the next level. I hope you have fun with your seal work! :blush:

@Jeannie1 You’ve been hard at work, Jeannie- it sounds like you are having fun with all of your crafting and creating! :sparkles: I bet the wreath is lovely and helps to set the autumn atmosphere :fallen_leaf: Wishing you all the best with writing in your BoS- good luck and enjoy! :heart:

16 Likes

I am doing another challenge I started this week. I get a line every day, and I have to finnish the story. Today it’s ‘ finally’ Then I have to sit for ten minutes, and write with pen and paper. I bought a notebook specially for this. The purpose is just write and don’t pauze for ten minutes. It seems like a good addition to this challenge. I will try one in English

14 Likes

Thank you for your words of encouragement I’ve been waiting to use this topic somewhere during our weekly challenge have a great day

12 Likes

Hi @Kasandra - I found this site that has the .ttf downloads for windows, Mac and IOS/android for the Dovahzul keyboards! There are specific instructions for how to download if you’re not familiar on the second link I’ve included below! I already downloaded them and tested them to make sure they work, they are mid way down under the titles:

• “Download the dragon alphabet font” OR
  • “Download the numbered dragon alphabet font”,
  • both when clicked download the .ttf files for Dovahzul keyboards!

For your phone it states:

• In iOS and Android, you can use third-party apps, such as iFont, to install fonts. (Note that while they share the same name, the iOS and Android versions of iFont are developed by different developers.)
14 Likes

It’s definitely a challenge to remember all the characters (and an even bigger challenge to write them neatly). They’re supposed to resemble dragon claw marks. Problem is a lot of them look the same. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

11 Likes

Thank you for the links! I found them yesterday, but didn’t have the chance to check them out.

10 Likes