Wassail Punch šŸ„ƒ

I couldnā€™t decide between two recipes this week, so here, have an extra one!

Wassail Punch

prep: 5 mins
cook: 8 hrs
total: 8 hrs 5 mins
Servings: 12
Yield: 12 servings

Ingredients:

2 quarts apple cider
2 cups orange juice
Ā½ cup lemon juice
12 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1 pinch ground ginger
1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions:

In a slow-cooker or a large pot over low heat, combine apple cider, orange juice, and lemon juice. Season with cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer. If using a slow cooker, allow to simmer all day. Serve hot.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving: 101 calories; protein 0.5g; carbohydrates 24.9g; fat 0.4g; sodium 8mg.

Recipe courtesy of All Recipes.

7 Likes

I didnā€™t know what ā€œwassailingā€ was for the longest time, until one year we went to the Christmas event they used to do at Plimouth Plantation (I donā€™t think itā€™s currently running but I may be wrong!).

Wassailing is basically going Christmas caroling! And they said that wassail punch was one thing that was given to carollers who came to your house (and much tastier than figgy pudding in my opinion :joy:)

This is a perfect recipe for this time of year (although you know I say that about any recipe with all of those lovely warming seasonal spices!) :yum: Thanks for sharing, @Amethyst! :heart:

3 Likes

I read somewhere that people would take their punch out to their apple trees and sing to them and give them a serving of punch so theyā€™d grow more apples the next year. I just canā€™t remember where I read that! I hate it when that happens. LOL! Anyhow, Iā€™m glad you like the recipe!

3 Likes

That sounds like both a fun time and a lovely way to give an offering! :apple: :blush:

I wonder if the gift was directed to some kind of orchard/tree spirit, or to the trees themselves? :thinking: Although itā€™s just as likely that it didnā€™t matter too much- sometimes the details arenā€™t as important as the action of giving itself! :grinning:

Thanks again, Amethyst! :deciduous_tree: :green_apple: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I donā€™t remember, itā€™s just a vague mention that I remember. I wish I could, that sounds like such a fun thing to do!

Although the people in my building would probably look at me funny if I went outside and sang off key to the trees sout my window. LOL!

2 Likes

Hahaha maybe! But perhaps if you offered them some tasty Wassail Punch I bet theyā€™d be joining in to sing along with you! :joy::+1: :apple:

2 Likes