Colour associations: Brown, Gold, Light Red
Elemental associations: Earth, Fire
Crystal associations: Moss Agate, Amber
Diety associations: Freyja, Freyr, Baldur, Gefion
Herbal associations: Nettle
Tree associations: Elder
Astrological associations: Aries, Taurus, The Moon
Tarot associations: Wheel of Fortune
Magical uses: Increase Wealth, Strengthen Psychic Ability, Attract and Improve Social Relationships, Sending a Magical Working into the Universe to Manifest
Keywords: Wealth, Prosperity, Abundance, Good Health, Beginnings, Energy

A few more passages from Lisa Chamberlainss book for reference:

“The most common interpretation of Fehu concerns wealth—particularly “moveable” wealth. For the ancient Germanic peoples (as well as for many other ancient cultures), to own cattle could mean the difference between a comfortable existence and a life of deprivation. Not only could these animals be traded for other valuable goods, but they offered sustenance in and of themselves and could therefore be life-saving in times of extreme need. Modern interpretations of Fehu tend to focus on money and credit, as these are the primary sources of “moveable” wealth that we deal with today. However, the broader meaning of this rune concerns prosperity and abundance in general, which includes non-monetary forms of well-being in addition to our reserves of actual cash—good health, plentiful food, love, social success, and a joyful approach to life. Thus, Fehu can serve as a useful reminder to appreciate what is going well in our lives, in whatever form it takes.”

“Depending on the context of the reading, Fehu may indeed indicate that good fortune in the form of wealth is coming your way. Business success and other kinds of rewards for your efforts are manifesting. However, it also points to the need to share one’s good fortune with others in one’s family or community. It is important to avoid greed or selfishness to maintain positive relationships with others. As the verse for Fehu in the Anglo-Saxon rune poem states, “Wealth is a consolation to all men / Yet much of it must each man give away / If glory he desires / To gain before his god.”
Fehu reversed often indicates a loss of wealth, property, or self-esteem. For whatever reason, the winds of fortune are not blowing your way at the moment. You may be experiencing disappointment, frustration, a lack of fulfilment, the need to abandon your plans or health problems. Regrouping is necessary—what do you need to let go of, and how can you refocus your efforts more practically? This may involve budgeting, cutting back on expenses, taking better care of your body, or reevaluating your priorities. Know that while you may have to deal with some setbacks, this is a learning opportunity, and you will ultimately be better off for having had this experience.”

“Additional Meanings
As the first character of all the runes in the Elder Futhark, Fehu also symbolizes beginnings. This meaning is reinforced by the rune’s literal translation, “cattle,” and the Norse myth of Audhumla, the cow who was responsible for creating the father of the human race. Yet as new beginnings always follow endings in the cyclical pattern of life, there is the associated meaning of “completion” here as well. You may have recently come to the end of a project or endeavour, or otherwise reached a goal you’ve been working to obtain. If so, you may be being advised to rest and enjoy the fruits of your labour, while still turning your attention to what your next, new focus might be. In this sense, Fehu reversed points to the need to tie up loose ends, commit to finishing an abandoned project, or acknowledge that something has failed and cut your losses.”

I loved looking into this Rune today :heartpulse: It is actually very closely related to the Uruz Rune, but its meaning translates to the domesticated bovine animals rather than the untamed force of nature wild ones are. It speaks of wealth being something important to ensure you can provide for Family and live comfortably, but it also reminds us not to be selfish with that wealth and to ensure we back it back to the Universe in some way :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Additional Passages from

Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes . Chamberlain Publications, 2018.

11 Likes

I like the emphasis on the distinction between Fehu and Uruz. I see Uruz as being more connected to the root of willpower or strength, and Fehu as what it comes with it, fulfilment and accomplishment.

I was also curious about how similar it looks to the letter F. I had to look it up on Wikipedia so I’m sharing it here too:

The shape of the rune is likely based on Etruscan v 𐌅 F, like Greek Digamma Ϝ and Latin F ultimately from Phoenician waw w.

Thanks for sharing, Lisa I love learning about the runes!

6 Likes

I’m having fun with it as well :blush: I’ve been growing in confidence designing Runic Talismans and Bind Runes as well :heart: that’s a perfect explanation, you use your strength and willpower to tame Uruz then enjoy the fulfillment and accomplishment that comes with Fehu :blush: not all of the Runes have a letter association, some have sound associations like ph or th. The ones that do have a letter seem, so far to look slightly or obviously similar :heart: Blessed Be :heart:

6 Likes

How interesting to see that Fehu corresponds to Nettle :herb: and Amber :orange_circle: - what a coincidence! Yesterday we found some nettle in the park and had a conversation about amber (called “Burszytn” here- it is found in the Baltic Sea on Poland’s northern shore! :ocean: ). Amazing how Fehu aligned so perfectly with the day- you pick them well, @Liisa! :laughing: :+1:

Thanks so much for sharing this valuable information, Lisa. I enjoyed learning about the Fehu rune! :sparkling_heart:

5 Likes

I usually wait until I have got ready for work then I’m able to settle for a few minutes before I leave the house and I concentrate on the Coven when I draw them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Divination has never been my strongest skill but it really is growing getting to know there Runes and their meanings :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

4 Likes

I missed a couple days but I’m going to bookmark them. I’m feeling fatigue. I’ll take a nap then catch up a bit later. But seriously, I appreciate these draws you’re making!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::tulip:

5 Likes

That is ok :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: they will be here for whenever you need them :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

4 Likes

Blockquote
Lisa
Fehu can serve as a useful reminder to appreciate what is going well in our lives, in whatever form it takes.”

I like this simple reminder to give back I am thinking of getting rid of a lot of my things because no matter what there will be more stuff!
I have so much to be great full for and why not share the wealth and abundance if you have it to give!

Blockquote
“Wealth is a consolation to all men / Yet much of it must each man give away / If glory he desires / To gain before his god.”
I was at the store and this lady said here’s my number
I can see how being giving can improve relationships.
Jeannie

6 Likes