🕔 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE ~ Catch-Up!

Challenge Entry - your magickal muse

According to Hesiodus’ Theogony the 9 Muses were born after the Olympian deities asked from Zeus that they needed someone to entertain them. So, to satisfy them, Zeus slept with the Pierian titaness Mnemosyne (Μνημοσύνη – means Memory).

But the muses ended up to be more than entertainment to the gods. The myth says that their mother trusted their upbringing to the nymph Eupheme, who later hired Apollo as their teacher so no one else can be better than them in music and arts. Actually one of the epithets of Apollo is Mousēgetēs that means Muse-leader.

Because of that THE MOUSAI (Muses) became the goddesses of music, song and dance, and the source of inspiration to poets. They were also goddesses of knowledge, who remembered all things that had come to pass. Later the Mousai were assigned specific artistic spheres:

Kalliope (Calliope), epic poetry;

Kleio (Clio), history;

Ourania (Urania), astronomy;

Thaleia (Thalia), comedy;

Melpomene, tragedy;

Polymnia (Polyhymnia), religious hymns;

Erato, erotic poetry;

Euterpe, lyric poetry;

Terpsikhore (Terpsichore), choral song and dance.

They were residing on the foot of Pierian Mountains (Pierian Mountains - Wikipedia) and Mount Olympus.

Here is their orphic Hymn (cc Orpheus is the son of Kalliope and Oeagrus – a Thracian King).

Μνημοσύνης καὶ Ζηνὸς ἐριγδούποιο θύγατρες , Μοῦσαι Πιερίδες , μεγαλώνυμοι , ἀγλαόφημοι , θνητοῖς , οἷς κε παρῆτε , ποθεινόταται , πολύμορφοι , πάσης παιδείης ἀρετὴν γεννῶσαι ἄμεμπτον , θρέπτειραι ѱυχῆς , διανοίας ὀρθοδότειραι , καὶ νόου εὐδυνάτοιο καθηγήτειραι ἄνασσαι , αἳ τελετὰς θνητοῖς ἀνεδείξατε μυστιπολεύτους , Κλειώ τ Εὐτέρπη τε Ѳάλειά τε Μελπομένη τε Τερѱιχόρη τ Ἐρατώ τε Πολύμνιά τ Οὐρανίη τε Καλλιόπηι σὺν μητρὶ καὶ εὐδυνάτηι θεᾶι Ἁγνῆι . ἀλλὰ μόλοιτε , θεαί , μύσταις , πολυποίκιλοι , ἁγναί , εὔκλειαν ζῆλόν τ ἐρατὸν πολύυμνον ἄγουσαι .

Freely translated in English

Daughters of Mnemosyne and thundering Zeus, O glorious Pieridian Musai, with the brilliant fame, you are desirable, multifaceted, because you give birth to the blameless virtue of all education, you nourish the soul and give the right direction to the intellect, and you are the guides you queens of strong mind who showed men the rites, which are celebrated with mysteries, you, Cleo, Euterpe, Thalia, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Erato, Polymnia, Urania, and my mother Calliope, who are pure goddesses of great power. But may you, O gods, come to your mystics, who are many and pure, and bring them glory and zeal (desire for glory) lovable and much-praised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK4OUwHDM1s (listen from 1:08)

But how can you work with the muses, if that is what you are looking for? First of all it is good to understand who is the one calling your name either directly or through your artist talents. Does that calling resonate with one of the arts they protect?

Then try to reach them through meditation, offerings, searching about them or any way you feel comfortable with.

For me it was a big WHY. Why do arts keep coming to my life even though I push them away, and every time they came back the impact is stronger than before? Then my best friend who knows about my path, jokingly said “It is because you are blessed by the Muses, duh.” And I was like wait what how can a muggle do better that me at that, and she continued “And If I had to choose one is Terpsikhore, I know you 24 years it just makes sense.” (Btw my friend is a Philologist, specializing in ancient Greek literature and also an opera singer)

And actually, that was a lightbulb moment for me. Everything fell into place. I have been around music and dancing (ballet, hip hop, now belly dance) since I was a toddler. And the truth is that when I do rituals especially with Aphrodite, I use dancing as this is the way that I can connect with the divine.

Right now, I am still trying to find out how to reach Terpsikhore (Τερψιχόρη–τέρψης+χορός pleasure + dance), but the basic mythology around her is this:

She is the goddesses of music, song and dance. In the classical era, when the Mousai were assigned specific literary and artistic spheres, Terpsikhore was named Muse of choral song and dancing, and depicted with a lyre and plectrum. She lends her name to the word “terpsichorean”, which means “of or relating to dance”.

According to Apollonius of Rhodes, Terpsichore was the mother of the Sirens by the river god Achelous. The Etymologicum Magnum mentions her as the mother of the Thracian king Biston by Ares. According to the Byzantine scholar Eustathius, Terpsichore was the mother of the Thracian king Rhesus by the river god Strymon.

Terpsichore - Wikipedia

Also searching I found out that there is an asteroid with the name of the muse and I tried to understand if the position of the asteroid means something but I could not find straight answers. All I could find is that the asteroid is in Gemini and that a lot of famous dancers had it in Gemini as well. Celestial "Musings"—Asteroid Terpsichore in the Natal Charts of Dancers | Daykeeper Journal Astrology

In my plans is to find more about the muse and even thinking of making an altar for her.

11 Likes

These are so beautiful! You are talented!

9 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

3…2…1… and the clock stops! This challenge has now ended, closing the curtain on all previous challenges (well, at least until the next Catch-Up Challenge!)

A big bravo to all of the witchy challengers this week! :clap: No matter which area(s) of magick you explored and put on display for your Coven this week, thank you so much to everyone who jumped in to partake in the 190th challenge :tada:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : To avoid confusion, this discussion will be locked until the Props and Presents post appears. At that time, this thread will reopen for discussion for a few more days- comments are welcome during this time, but please note that no additional prizes will be given.

Thanks again for joining in the challenge! :partying_face:

Blessed be! :clock5: :sparkles:

8 Likes

The challenge deadline has passed- thank you to everyone who joined in!

This topic is reopening for continued discussion and comments (feel free to respond to entries that were shared, chat about the challenge theme, etc!)

The Props and Presents award post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to all entrants! :trophy:

Award Post for the Catch-Up Challenge

Thank you once again to all those who joined the challenge! :star2: I hope you enjoy your new badge :medal_military:

This thread has been reopened for discussion- feel free to comment on the theme, ask questions or reply to entries! However, please remember that no additional badges will be given out now that the challenge has officially closed. Thank you!

6 Likes

I think so, too. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: It’s really nice.

I also feel very satisfied when the kitchen isn’t a mess. So I have been doing my best to randomly walk into the kitchen and just put things away. And ask my partner more often to do that for us. :smile: It’s slowly becoming more stable. I mean, in a clean and tidy state more often. :thinking:

Words are failing me… Well, I am failing words. :laughing:

That sounds like it’s working as well as it needs. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Those of us who are not used to people being nice to us at all can be very shocked when things start to change. But it’s a good change and lovely of you to do that for her. :smile:

That’s a beautiful wand. :black_heart: I love the runes and their meanings. Thank you for sharing.

What a transformation! That’s amazing. :star_struck:

That bread looks delicious! :heart_eyes: I will have to make some sometime. But now I’m hungry… :laughing:

I didn’t know there were so many types of fairies. This was interesting. :smile: Thank you~

It sounds like you’re actually doing a great job at this! Those are quite a few wonderful activities. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

That sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. :laughing: Those are beautiful red berries. They really do look magickal!

Wow, what an amazing and heartfelt entry. This was beautiful to read. Thank you for sharing. :black_heart:

This sounds a lot of fun! I hope it goes well. :smile: And I’m glad I could be of assistance. :bowing_woman:

That is such a cool idea. :astonished:

10 Likes

Whoa. It doesn’t look like it. Wonderful work. :black_heart:

That sounds quite useful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I feel like I should do something similar.

Thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: You are quite the amazing witch yourself, you know? :wink: :black_heart:

Aww! :face_holding_back_tears: Thank you. :people_hugging: :black_heart: I have also felt it. I’ve become so much better at so many things and in such a short amount of time that it feels surreal, as though a year ago was really five years ago. I feel like I owe it a lot to my guides, both of the spiritual and the earthly kind (yes, that means humans such as yourself :laughing:).

Big hugs! :people_hugging: :black_heart:

Yeah, hurricane seems to put it the most accurately. :cry:

I’m glad you are finding the energy and peace to do so. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Wishing you many wonderful releases.

I feel the same, @Cosmic_Curiosity. She’s definitely onto something. :smile:

That’s exactly where I’m at right now here as well. :laughing: Sat down to relax and catch up a bit on the forum after my fifth day of this ritual I’m doing and I’m already almost spent.

That’s such a beautiful gift. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope it brings them peace.

What a beautiful realisation! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The muses really interest me, but I have yet to get around to delving more into them. Thank you for sharing this. :black_heart:

12 Likes

Thank you!

10 Likes

I am not good with either schedules or boundaries. I break my own boundaries all the time.

Thank you for your beautiful post. I have bookmarked it so I can sit down and reflect on these questions.

Reading about your schedule creation has re-inspired me to set better work boundaries. I work many many long days and ignore my health and needs. But you are right. With a schedule I stay balanced and can get work done rather than wearing myself out and not getting work done properly.
Thanks to you, I closed my computer last night and chatted with my kids and husband at a decent hour. And thanks to you, once I am done eating my lunch I am going to walk outside, take some deep breaths before sitting back st my desk.

I really enjoy your posts and the depth of knowledge you have.
I hope you share more of your own oracle cards on the daily pull thread.

11 Likes

:smiling_face::purple_heart: thank you so much. As we say here “I’m tickled pink” :smiling_face:

I hope that they help you to reflect on your successes and sense of self. I found it a very worthwhile task and I realised things about myself that I didn’t even know. A routine has been great for me but I have been careful not to let it rule my life. Its my assistant, not my boss😂. Some days life gets in the way and planned things don’t get done. I have learned to accept this and tell myself that this is OK. I am glad it has inspired you to try things differently. I will post a new card soon ( I usually do it on Sundays).

12 Likes

You’re welcome @starborn ! There are actually more than what I listed! I had no idea either until I started reading my book.

10 Likes

I like the catch up a lot. Because it gives me options :laughing:

8 Likes

It’s an interesting exercise, that’s for sure!

10 Likes

Yes! Anytime :blush::purple_heart::people_hugging:

9 Likes

Same. :laughing: And there are so many options! It’ll take me forever to get through them. :grin:

7 Likes

@starborn :hekate_wheel:
Hi Starborn I wanted to say that I liked your spell and feeling connection to Hecate! First it was unique and I would not mind trying this to feel a better connection with Hecate maybe this can help open up my kundiline! You always do an amazing job and love your beautiful candle light on tic tac that is so creative and talented! :old_key:
You hold the keys Kliedocus not sure if it’s spelled right!
@Devenne
Anointing is always good to have for our Chakras too and anointing will definitely help you feel like the Goddess, may this anointing oil help you feel connected to the Goddess!
:black_heart::black_heart::black_heart: your sigils!!!
@ Amethyst
Great way to connect to your intuition and navigating your feelings is important. Most of all for me it’s about trusting!

I like to use the emotion wheel that really helps to comar coordinate too!

I like journaling after tarot or unpacking symbols

Starborn- Hi and thank you for your post keeping our cool is not easy but try to remember that we are eternal beings, my father passed away and I wish my relationship would have been worked out better but it was to late for any repair. Wasted anger and rage I resent myself, at times but I understand and nurture my inner child. Just like you. Always try to use your higher self.:star2::sunflower::lotus:Love your pics, they are glamorous in every Way you are a goddess! Congratulations on working on your shadow Work!
John - I like your bracelet you did an amazing job!

witchy in every way!
Megan- You accomplished so much! :sunrise::sunflower::sun_with_face:
Good job Spring :cherry_blossom: Cleaning, loved your crystals! I spent some time with my crystals too!

BJ1-Your wand is very magiKal and has so much intention! :clap::clap::clap:

@m

Beautiful message thank you! :purple_potion:
@Mystique
I just noticed we had the last name almost the same but anyhow, thank you for all the knowledge about fairies, you are so knowledgeable!
Phoenix Rose :rose:
What a beautiful collection of particular things! :witch_pentacle:

Exercise that muscle! :muscle::sparkles::dizzy::star2:

I still like getting my feet wet but never but never have any real place to get grounded!

Jeannie

11 Likes

Nice idea!

12 Likes

Thankyou my lovely friend :people_hugging: didn’t u make this before too ? The oil?

12 Likes

Maybe! It’s worth a try. I hope you enjoy. :black_heart:

Aww! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m flattered. You’re so sweet. Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m not good at remembering how to spell Greek words, either. It’s not similar to Macedonian at all, so I have to look them up pretty much all the time. :laughing: That one’s Kleidoukhos, so you were close! Spelled it how it sounds. :black_heart:

9 Likes