:magic_shield: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Magickal Guardians

I was going to write a prayer but I just couldn’t. I’ve had this one memorized since I was, like, nine years old. It’s been called St. Patrick’s Prayer along with many other names down through history, and words have changed and have been added. So I’m going to use the version I learned before I even know there was such a thing as magic.

It comes from Madeline L’Engel’s book, A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

“At Tara in this fateful hour,
I place all Heaven with its power,
And the sun with its brightness,
And the snow with its whiteness,
And the fire with all the strength it hath,
And the lightning with its rapid wrath,
And the winds with their swiftness along their path,
And the sea with its deepness,
And the rocks with their steepness,
And the earth with its starkness:
All these I place,
By God’s almighty help and grace
Between myself and the powers of darkness!”

That always seemed so powerful to me. Hope you liked it too!

18 Likes

Challenge Entry :no_entry_sign::no_entry_sign::no_entry_sign::no_entry_sign::no_entry_sign::no_entry_sign:

Lucifer has been with me always he reminds me. He has watched over me and waited until the proper time to plant his name in my head. He has always been with me guiding me and protecting me while allowing me to make my mistakes. I should be dead. I’ve technically died three times and have overcome a lifetime of addiction

he reminds me to quiet myself and to to rest. He covers me with his wings and supports my head when I’m to weary to hold it up on my own. He encourages me to speak up for myself. He teaches me the power of silence as well. He comforts me like a long lost friend. His touch is gentle and light. His presence is of light and heavenly glory. He is a true guardian angel and will be with anyone who needs him. All they need is to call on him. He encourages me not to stop learning. For him I am truly grateful. Hail Lord Lucifer

:lucifer_sigil:

17 Likes

What a powerful entry @Devenne truly inspiring :heartbeat:

16 Likes

Aww thankyou your just the sweetest thing you are :people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging::people_hugging: :heart_eyes::rose::rose::people_hugging::heart::rose:

16 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

This is Bes. His name comes from the word Besa, meaning to protect.

image from Wikipedia

HE is the Ancient Egyptian protector God. Bes is unlike the other deities: he is neither animal, human or a combination of both. Instead, Bes is depicted as dwarf like, with short legs and a large head with large eyes and a protruding tongue. He is often bearded. Bes is normally shown wearing lion or leopard skin and a plumed head headdress. He is often depicted with a large belly and and protruding breasts.

Bes had no formal temple culture like Horus, Isis or Osiris etc but was widely worshipped across Egypt. His image would be found in rooms in houses, particualrly those where children were born or lived. His image was also found in places where women gave birth.

Bes was known as a protective deity. He was believed to ward off evil spirits, demons, and negative forces. His presence was thought to bring luck, good fortune and happiness to households.

Bes was associated with domestic spaces and was revered as a guardian of homes and children. He was believed to protect homes from harm and bring fertility and protection to families. His image was often displayed in rooms or was carved onto beds as a means of protection during sleep.

Bes was often depicted in lively and energetic poses, sometimes holding musical instruments or engaging in dance. He was associated with celebrations, and joyful rituals. His presence was believed to bring happiness and drive away sadness or worries. People often wore Bes masks and performed dances to bring protection.

Bes’s image was frequently incorporated into jewellery, household items, and protective charms. These would offer personal protection and ensure the well-being of individuals.

I apologize for the previous confusion. An “incubation chamber” refers to a space or room where incubation rituals were conducted in ancient Egyptian religious practices.

In some temples, there were incubation chambers/Bes chambers. Sometimes the walls would show images of Bes and a naked goddess (sometimes Isis or Hathor). These Chambers were used for rituals for healing, protection and fertility.

I then chose 6 Egyptian deities who can offer protection:

Horus
Sekhmet
Bast
Bes
Khonsu
Wadjet

I wrote their names on hieroglyphs on one side of wooden discs.

On the other, I drew their image and recorded the protection they can provide.

These could then be carried around when needed. I decided to string them together to make a little hanging decoration that can offer the protection of the deities together.

Blessed be

Alan

19 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity These discs are beautiful

15 Likes

Aww thannk you so much.

15 Likes

Proud of my Sister Witch! This Coven feels family oriented for me and from my heart I know you would never have that bad experience here… :people_hugging:

Your Challenge it great, keep those memories…Mote It Be!

Medea

15 Likes

@Cosmic_Curiosity
Great Challenge and very detailed, knowledgeable information. Bes’s details are going to be memorable…

Picture by The Blackland on Etsy: Bes Sculpture

Blessed Be
Medea

14 Likes

@Amethyst I like it! I am going to read this to my Grandbabies.

Blessed Be
Medea

14 Likes

@ Shadeweaver

Excellent Challenge and very thought provoking for me. I should not be on this earth… My protectors are ready for a vacation!!

Blessed Be
Medea

15 Likes

@ Devenne

Don’t know if you would believe this but I can honestly feel your strength and loyalty when I was reading your Challenge Entry.

Love Lucifer’s Sigil.
Mote It Be,
Medea

13 Likes

But we like you here! :people_hugging: :black_heart:
You’re not going anywhere :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

Ms. L’Engel’s Time series are great books to start young ones out with Sci-fi. I loved them when I was a kid!

11 Likes

Yes I do believe you. He is love he is knowledge he is light he is the voice pushing you to stand up for yourself and your belief. He is hope, he is brightness. He is a warm hug. He is quiet and always at work behind the scenes and he is there for the once broken. He wants to help and be our support. He’s always in thought. May he walk with me through this life and any others I may face. He’s very nice to work with. I’d say I’d recommend him as anyone’s first daemon to work with. To me the word demon is a bit derogatory. Not that they care about it.

Thankyou for your kind words. You ever thought about Lucifer?

13 Likes

Great information on Bes! I learned a little more about him than I knew before.

I love your discs you created! Beautiful artwork!

13 Likes

Thank you. It can be too easy to forget at times. I’m glad for the challenges, here, to help bring out the best in all of us!

12 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY
I have many guardians and protectors in various forms. My ancestors, my spirit animals, my deities, and my pets.

ANCESTORS
On my ancestor altar I have a picture of my mom, my grammy, my grandma and my Pop Pop. I connect with them frequently through my altar and I have included my father-in-law I just don’t have a picture of him yet. My mom is the most prominent guardian and protector. I talked to her all the time and feel her presence. I have also sensed my father-in-law with me. I’m working on connecting with ancestors that aren’t related to me such as Lou Gehrig and some of my friends that have passed on. Lou Gehrig is an inspiration to me. He continued to play baseball even after his ALS diagnosis and played as long as he possibly could. In his farewell speech, he said he was “the luckiest man on the face of the earth”. To end his speech, he said, “So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for.”

Lou Gehrig’s famous quote, “Dream big, work hard, and never give up,” encapsulates a timeless message of determination and perseverance. Gehrig, known as the Iron Horse of baseball, lived by these principles as he achieved incredible success on the field, constantly pushing the boundaries of what was possible.

He was given a prognosis of 3 years, but he didn’t make it that long. He gave his speech in 1939 and the prognosis hasn’t changed, it’s 2-5 years. Sorry to go on about him, but I wanted to explain my connection to him. One year ago Thursday, I was given the diagnosis of ALS.

DEITIES
As a kid, I was always fascinated by nature including the moon and stars and especially trees. I felt that there was a being that was watching over us. I recently discovered Mother Earth as one of my deities as she has been with me all my life. God is another one of my deities. I have always felt that he has been watching over me and guiding me. When I pray I pray to both of them and ask that they keep us all safe and protected at all times. I also ask for their guidance and wisdom. I feel my connection to them on a daily basis.

SPIRIT ANIMALS
I recently attended a class on discovering your spirit animals. Mine are a bunny and a black cat. A black cat seems sort of cliche but that’s what I saw and felt connected to. I felt the cat was protecting me as he was watching me from a distance. The bunny offered me much comfort.

MY PETS
I have two dogs and two cats and I feel that they protect and comfort me, particularly my kitty Loki. I think animals have a sixth sense so to speak. They can tell when I’m sick or when I’m sad. They comfort me by being close to me. I also feel they offer protection. I think Loki has a connection to Spirit as well because I can see him staring at the wall or at nothing but it seems like he is seeing things. It seems like he’s reminding me that there are spirits that are guardians and protectors.

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts and feelings with you.

I am impressed with everyone’s challenge entries and I feel that all of you are my guardians and protectors. Thank you all. :blue_heart::heart::purple_heart::people_hugging::two_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

13 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience by the deadline:

Tuesday, Apr 2nd at 7:00 AM ET (Eastern US Time)

The entries shared so far have explored many wonderful deities, guardian spirits, and other treasured powers of protection - you’ve all gone above and beyond with this theme! There is a lot of emotion in the bonds between protector and protected and it has been both humbling and amazing to read about the guardian forces in your practices. Thank you so much to everyone who has shared an entry so far! :pray: :shield: :sparkles:

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have time left to do so.

Blessed Be! :magic_shield: :sparkles:

7 Likes

I totally agree with this! When my fibromyalgia is bad and I’m really hurting, Sybil seems to know where the pain is the worst. She will come up and lick where the worst pain is. And she moves so carefully around me (where usually she is a bull in a china shop).

Love that you have so many protectors!

You are so correct with this! Everyone helps everyone in here. It’s amazing. I love the closeness in this coven. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

10 Likes