🧑‍🔬 Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Science & Witchcraft

ENTRY:
I love science and wanted to be a vet when I was a kid. But I am allergic to too many chemicals, including formaldehyde. Which makes it hard to dissect animals to learn about them.
I love astronomy and biology. I guess you could say I have a thing for spirals.
I have been thinking about the fibonachi sequence and scared geometry just like @Artemisia.
I have also been thinking about the web of life from the conversation that was had in the weekly group ritual and how this coven is connected. Meditation for Peace
@MeganB had a fire dream, then @starborn expereinced a fire and then I had a fire embryo come to me in my meditation, and it all happened around the same time.
The sequencing in nature in so many different things reminds me that we are all connected all of the time. It helps me when I am feeling lonely and remembering Animism and that everything in inanimate or animate has a frequency and a life.
So all I have to do is connect with my environment when I am feeling lonely or off. It is comforting to remember this fact and it is in the spiritual magick and science.
So I attempted to make my own fibinachi spiral of the golden mean…
I made a cyanotype of the image with a transparency but it seemed to be too light so I attempted to use embroidery thread to create it. It is very imperfect but so I life. Here it is:

Now it will live above my bed with my merkaba that I made a year or two ago…

14 Likes

Challenge Entry

Short and sweet this week too

I find Math and science provide explanations for what already exists for the most part. Witchcraft produces things that never existed before in ways that usually cant be explained bu Math or science. This is not rue in all cases, but the miraculous is found and explained more by the Craft than by Science. IMHO :witch_cauldron: :people_hugging:

:goat:

15 Likes

Both are fantastic :heart_eyes:. Well done!

12 Likes

That sentence sums up this entire challenge! That photosynthetic reaction is a quantum biological process that captures Magick paradoxically at its most mundane and profound point.
We see it, and countless others, daily, yet, as you perfectly described it, it’s sheer Magick!

Thanks and stay awesome

14 Likes

I love your post. I know just like most of the population knows science is real, because it proves itself to everyone everyday, But I know magic is real because I can see it proving itself in ways others don’t. It’s like most of my town dont believe it unless they can see it and I think theyre just not looking hard enough or arent open enough to see it, like they have on rose colored glasses. I however maybe see too much sometimes or maybe I just go looking for things I didnt really want to see. Anyway your post is awesome and this is my entry for this challenge.

14 Likes

:grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation: :grey_exclamation: :exclamation:

It’s time for a friendly reminder:

:exclamation: This challenge will soon close :exclamation:

If you would like to participate and haven’t done so already, please post about your challenge experience by the deadline:

Tuesday, Feb 19th at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)

Eureka! What a wonderful collection of discoveries, insights, thoughts, reflections, and more exploring the links between science and magick- I’m loving all of the entries shared so far! Thank you so much to everyone who has joined in to share an entry with their fellow coven members so far :blush: :test_tube: :witch_cauldron: :sparkles:

If you haven’t already shared an entry but would like to join in, this is your friendly reminder that you still have time left to do so.

Blessed Be! :woman_scientist: :sparkles:

10 Likes

Challenge entry

I’m so not feeling up for this one… Not enough energy. But oh well, here goes…

Science and magick are just words we humans use to understand experiences within our lives and communicate these thoughts to each other. It’s hard to draw a line here or there because nothing is as static and unchanging or black and white as one might hope them to be.

Were alchemists not often viewed as scientists and magicians, partly due to their mysterious practices and partly because of their objectives? They sought to transform base metals into noble ones, create the elixir of life, and discover the philosopher’s stone. The way alchemy focuses on transformation and the interconnectivity of means it never actually left us, it just transformed into many other disciplines.

Meanwhile, astrologers interpreted the positions of stars and planets to predict future events and understand individual destinies. In a way, society has simply shifted from an individual focus to an Earth-wide one as our tools grew more capable of doing so, and thus our studies emphasise humanity’s place in the universe over our own individual ones.

Moreover, virtually every civilisation throughout history has used plants for healing. The systematic study of herbs and their effects led to the development of pharmacology and many modern pharmaceuticals are derived from plants. We didn’t lose herbalism, it simply grew too big for its pot.

However, there’s a growing interest in natural and holistic approaches to health, which means that we might see some of these transform like alchemy back into something similar to their older forms but with all the scientific evolution now supporting it. For is this not the cycle we come to know and love as witches? To grow, transform, destroy, rebuild anew with stronger foundations, and repeat?

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.

15 Likes

You are welcome!

11 Likes

You are welcome and I hope you enjoy the book.

12 Likes

This is the root of the matter (pun intended). Also, this is a an excellent description of the scientific process. I love it and if you are okay with it I may start using this as my description when I teach students how to conduct research. It may also find its way onto my mantra wall.

12 Likes

Of course. I’m sharing my words freely. You are welcome to adapt and evolve them as you desire. :black_heart:

10 Likes

My Entry
Science helps make magic tangible after some research I found this article which I found quite interesting perception of
Invention and ingenuity :slight_smile:

12 Likes

My Challenge Entry

I put my challenge entry here. There is a :warning:trigger warning.

https://forum.spells8.com/t/my-science-and-magic-challenge-entry-tw-medical-procedure-death/47996?u=sivonnah

EDIT: I’m truly amazed and in awe of everyone’s challenge entry! :blush::purple_heart: This is a great topic to explore :purple_heart::heart::sparkles::piñata::confetti_ball:

13 Likes

Oh this is so awesome! :grin: I LOVE science as well and I’m reading this great book called How To Die In Space which actually proves to me that our universe is truly magical! I’m buying a telescope soon and I’m so excited!

11 Likes

Challenge entry
am a Nurse specializing in anatomy and medication
Science has never stood up to Magic
Before using a medicine I will refer to the herbalism
before i use a sleep medicine i will use valerian and chamomile
before a syrup I will use onion with honey or boiled thyme with ginger
in a depression or discomfort I will first treat reiki etc
what people do not understand they criticize, but this happens to the ignorant

12 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

Well done to all of the scientific witches who explored the crossroads of magick and science this week - your entries have been truly enlightening! :bulb: :blush:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details for everyone who submitted an entry. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : To avoid confusion, this discussion will be locked until the Props and Presents post appears. At that time, this thread will reopen for discussion for a few more days- comments are welcome during this time, but please note that no additional prizes will be given.

Thanks again for joining in the challenge! :partying_face:

Blessed be! :scientist: :sparkles:

12 Likes

The challenge deadline has passed- thank you to everyone who joined in!

This topic is reopening for continued discussion and comments (feel free to respond to entries that were shared, chat about the challenge theme, etc!)

The Props and Presents award post for this challenge is now live in the forum and badges have been sent to all entrants! :trophy:

Award Post for the Science & Witchcraft Challenge

Thank you once again to all those who joined the challenge! :star2: I hope you enjoy your new badge :medal_military:

This thread has been reopened for discussion- feel free to comment on the theme, ask questions or reply to entries! However, please remember that no additional badges will be given out now that the challenge has officially closed. Thank you!

12 Likes

This challenge and its discussion period have closed- but no worries! You can visit Activities to find and join the current challenge :trophy: (And if you’d like to respond to any posts shared here, please feel free to do so in a new discussion or via Private Message :incoming_envelope: Thank you!)