šŸ‘¼ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Working With Higher Powers

I love the chant @Amethyst sorry about your mom, I lost mine too !

5 Likes

I believe people are familiar with the traditional story of Persephone. She was out minding her own business one day in a meadow when her attention was drawn by a narcissus. The earth opened up and Hades kidnapped her to take her to the Underworld to be his Queen (with the agreement of her father, Zeus). Her mother, Demeter was beside herself, and fell into a great depression, causing a famine on Earth, which would lead to wiping out the human race.

Zeus tried to plead with Demeter both himself and through various other Gods and Goddesses, but Demeter refused to return the Earth to its normal estate until she saw her daughter with her own eyes. So Zeus sent Hermes down to the Underworld to speak to Hades with an order than Persephone be reunited with her mother. Persephone jumps at the chance to leave, but before she does is tricked into eating pomegranate seeds meaning she is forced to return to the Underworld for part of the year.

This is a fairly depressing tale, and had never sat very well with me given that Persephone is Queen of the Underworld and this traditional telling makes her out to be an innocent child with no personal power.

Iā€™ve done a fair bit of studying on Persephone recently, as alongside Hecate Iā€™m very much drawn to her.

As I said above I watched a video on YouTube that shed a very different light on Persephoneā€™s story, and suggests that she may have even predated Hades in her own right, a nameless Goddess, a force to be reckoned with whose true story and background was only known to those initiated, so the version that ended up in the Eleusinian Mysteries was very much watered down. It was of course easy to blame Hades.

Iā€™ve also been reading a lot and have added three books on Persephone to my collection. The first of which is from the Pagan Portals series and is called ā€œPersephone: Practicing the Art of Personal Powerā€ by Robin Corak.

The story is retold in the first person from Persephoneā€™s own point of view, reclaiming her personal power (the following is paraphrased or it would have gone on for several pages).

Persephone describes how she was out playing and picking flowers with friends, one of the rare times she got to do as she wished as her mother felt it was safe. She didnā€™t mind her mother wanting to keeping her near when she was younger, but approaching womanhood it felt suffocating and she was tired of being treated like a child. She couldnā€™t discuss things like her future or marriage, and was aware of two marriage proposals from Apollo and Hermes being turned down by her mother on her behalf. This made her angry not because she wanted to marry them, but because her mother deemed her incapable of making her own decisions.

She glimpsed a flower off in the distance that attracted her by its otherworldly beauty. As she reached out to grasp the narcissus, the ground opened up and a golden chariot emerged with a tall man with long dark hair. Before she could protest, the man grabbed her and they descended back into the earth.

Persephone screamed as it was the natural thing to do, but she knew his intent wasnā€™t to harm her and she was drawn to seeing a land outside her motherā€™s domain. When they got to the Underworld and Hades introduced himself she was shocked, she became quiet and her eyes turned to ice. Hades explained that he was enchanted by her and wanted to make her his wife. Whilst he respected Demeter, both he and Zeus felt it was time for her to grow up and live her own life.

The irony of this made Persephone angry and she lashed out, but he didnā€™t move. Both of them were astonished and she ran off into the maze of hallways in Hadesā€™ palace until she found a small room, falling a heap, exhausted. She was prepared for a fight but Hades gave her a tender look and left her to her solitude.

Persephone missed her mother, but the tension between her and Hades lessened and she began to appreciate him. She found him to be gentle and thoughtful, and they were able to engage in adult conversation. He listened, wanted to hear her opinions, and treated her as an equal. As Queen of the Underworld she was expected to have her own thoughts and opinions and not to be afraid to share them. Persephoneā€™s confidence grew and she began to cherish the time spent with Hades, due to both love and freedom sheā€™d not before experienced.

As she learned more about the Underworld she began to feel sad for the lost souls she encountered and Hades told her she had power to make changes in her own realm.

Eventually, Hermes came to speak with her and Hades, explaining what was happening on earth and that Zeus had ordered her return. This saddened Hades, and reluctantly he took her to speak privately in a courtyard where pomegranates had somehow managed to thrive. He told her he knew of her desire to reconcile with her mother and that he could never fill that void. But he pleaded with her to stay and rule as his Queen, defying her fatherā€™s request. He then left her to decide for herself what to do.

*Persephone could see two paths before her, each involving spending time with a person she loved but sacrificing the love of the other. So she decided to take a third path. Spying a ripe pomegranate, Persephone decided to take a risk. Knowing that if she ate something in the Underworld she would be condemned to remain there, she tore it open and slipped a few seeds under her tongue. *

Hermes came looking for her and she embraced Hades before getting into Hermes chariot, to be reunited with her mother as soon as it emerged from the ground. Demeter knew something was wrong, and asked if sheā€™d eaten anything in the Underworld. Persephone was tempted to lie and say she was forced, but her time in the Underworld had changed her. She was now a woman capable of holding her own and admitted that she had willingly eaten the pomegranate seeds.

Demeter gasped and Zeus sighed, seeing the predicament he was in. Persephone spoke up and said she had no intention of remaining in one place or the other, asking if there was any reason she couldnā€™t spend time in both realms. Zeus considered the possibility, and decreed that she would spend part of the year with her mother on Earth, and part of the year with her husband Hades in the Underworld.

Persephone found for herself a third way that didnā€™t require her to sacrifice the people she loved. She also took charge of her own destiny.

There is much of Persephoneā€™s story that resonates with me. I too have an overbearing mother, but I wasnā€™t able to reconcile with her and keep my marriage (long story there, not for now).

This alternative version of her background makes her sound far more bad ass and is empowering. Iā€™m planning to try and write a devotional to Persephone but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll have time to get that done before the challenge closes. Iā€™m working on it though.

10 Likes

Itā€™s gorgeous!

7 Likes

Weekly Witchy Challange - Working With Higher Powers:

Hecate, companion of the dark nights, and of the soul, keeper of the keys, Goddess of the crossroads, the underworld, and depicted as carrying a light in hand has become a strong support figure and fierce protector in my life.
Hecateā€™s beginnings are shrouded with mystery and contain many layers. Far too many to fill in here. I am constantly learning about her and by no means am I an expert, nor would I dare to claim to be.

Fun fact: I stumbled upon Spells8 searching for fresh literature on Hecate, so she actually led me here. Pretty cool haw?
I found the information provided by Spells8 is valuable and extremely helpful and I enjoy doing Hecateā€™s prayer that is provided here:https://spells8.com/hecate-witches-chant/#:~:text=ā–¶ļø%20Hecateā€™s%20Devotional%20Chant
The information is written in a dialog that is easy to understand unlike some of the ancient text that made me feel like I was reading a foreign language that I had to translate almost word by word, so thank you Spells8 for the wonderful info!

I have come to realize that Hecate might be the most misunderstood figure in Greek Mythology and a Goddess of mystery. There are so many conflicting stories that it can be confusing and overwhelming. Some people see her as a dark entity, scary and evil but she really is not that simple. To me, Hecate is about a lot more than witchcraft, sorcery, and magic. She is very much so a guiding light and a protector. I donā€™t follow the mythology by a T because to me those stories were handed down to us by the patriarchy and theyā€™ve been changed so much by those who have recorded them. There is so much we donā€™t know from the stories that I would rather get the story from Hecate herself. (If we work with a Deity, they can tell us their story)

My relationship with Hecate and the ways she assists me(with the exception of a few) are very personal. I will share this tho:
Hecate is always with me even when I feel like the world abandoned me, when the world turns its back she is always here with open arms. When I mess up and face the consequences, she is here to help me pick up the pieces. When I am hurting, broken, and full of sorrow, Hecate is here to help heal my heart. When I feel lost, in the dark, and unable to find my way, Hecate is here with her torches to light my way. When I am angry, bitter, or full of hatred, Hecate is here to hear my cries for justice. At the lowest of lows, she is here. And even when I am far away from her light, Hecate is still here. I carry a piece of her in my soul. I talk to her in my head and aloud every day and night, she visits me in my dream state and protects my body when I am in a meditative state during astral travel.
Hecate helps me deal with the shadow aspect of myself. She holds back the evil and the harmful to bring my shadow into the light, in turn making me a better person. (I am forever grateful)

I enjoy Hecateā€™s company and working with her, I find her to be a kind goddess when treated with respect and tolerant if I am sincere. Hecate has taken an increasingly important role in my worship and ritual. I am regularly asking her to protect my home and my family. When I make sigils, I ask her to guide my hand to make more powerful sigils and I give her offerings during the dark moon.
The most important thing she has taught me up to now is that I had been at war with myself and self-created darkness within me (anger, fear, resentment), she told Me that if I donā€™t free myself then no one will. She is helping me work towards being a whole and complete version of my authentic self.
I have found that choosing to be kind honors Hecate and she will reward those who are but being kind can not be forced or told to, it must be a personal choice.

I am currently searching and studying about learning on spending time with her epithets and oh my! there are so many!

My home protection prayer:
(I light a black candle with a bottle of red wine at hand)
As I light my candle, I say:
"Goddess Hecate, mother and protector of all witches, I light this candle in your honor. Just as the candle burns bright, so may your torches never be extinguished and guide us externally please look upon my home and protect from all harm and misfortune. She who stands before the threshold and guards my doorway, I call upon your aid, averter of evil bless this door so that it defends the threshold of this home and shields me and mine from all harm. She who stands before, in between, and within lend to this door your powers of protection for my home and those who dwell in it."
I then thank her and pour the bottle of red wine into the earth near my front door as a gift for her. I let the candle burn down and then bury it in a spot near the door. I like to do this every 6 months.

I have learned that Hecate is a just Goddess who must be respected (she demands it) She is kind and warm but also carries with her darkness and the power to harm. I have found her to be a Goddess of balance and liminal spaces, the in-between of life and death. She has even pushed me down when I wasnā€™t listening, just to help me up again in order for me to pay attention and to learn the lesson at hand. Hecate calls me to recognize the part of her that resides in me, as my soul came from her. She urges me to learn my position in the cosmic order, teaching me when to be confident and when to be humble and I am striving to be balanced like her.

"Praise the Lady Hecate, Goddess of the moon and the night, Thank you for being here, Thank you for your help, Thank you for your
blessings. Thank you for your divine protection.
May many wolves howl for you."

"Hail Hecate"

-Much love and may blessings

11 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. You have my condolences on the loss of your mother too! Thatā€™s always difficult.

I love that version of Persephone. Growing up and taking charge. Thank you for sharing.

9 Likes

My calling on the Lord and Lady and the Elements for cleansing of items purchased at the Pagan Pride festival I feel completes this challenge. My wife and I purchased a few crystals, a mortar & pestle, new charcoal and incense while at the festival. Here is the ritual I usedā€¦

Cleansing Consecration - Google Slides

As time goes on, Iā€™ve realize I still continue to change my rituals to fit my beliefs. Even this time I changed my ingredients to only list ā€œincenseā€ instead of ā€œsageā€. The real sage leaves I picked up at the festival were vastly different from the Wal-Mart sage sticks. Very pungent. In the future I may use another incense, lol. I also discovered the charcoal I previously purchased from an online source wasnā€™t fresh as it never fully burned. The salesperson at the festival recommended after I open the foil charcoal container I bought from her, the remaining pieces need to be placed in a zip-lock bag or other sealed container. She suspects I previously purchased a stale batch of charcoal or one that absorbed too much moisture.

Another change Iā€™ve made was I have the option to use real soil instead of salt as my Earth element. A Norwegian shaman/witch I watch occasionally uses real dirt. Anyone having differing thoughts on that feel free to express that here please because Iā€™m still learning. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

For this challenge, I told people how Hecate was eat their face,

And also adding another page to my BOS with info from @SilverBear 's Hekate Invocation video, as well as the information from other folks here.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve been called my Pan and Persephone, Iā€™m still researching about them. This is the first time I feel that a god is calling me, feeling weird about it, hehe.

9 Likes

Rowan,
I really appreciated reading your post about Hecate and very well said!
Jeannie

8 Likes

This challenge is now CLOSED :exclamation:

Thank you all so much for sharing your wisdom and workings with the higher powers in your practices- the entires this week were a delight to see :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

A Props and Presents post will soon appear with shout-outs and prize details. Please keep an eye on the main page of the forums.

Note : This post will remain open for continued discussion for a few more days, but no additional prizes will be given after today.

Blessed be! :angel::sparkles:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing the Genealogy of Brighid (as well as the printable PDF), @MeganB- that is very generous of you! :heart:

I also love the story versions that portray Persephone differently, @IrisW. The empowered version of Persephone draws me in much more than the more common telling of the story. Thanks for sharing this piece, it was enjoyable to read! :open_book: :blush:

Lovely entry about Hecate, @Moonshadow- and how wonderful that She led you here to Spells8 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m glad youā€™ve found Her to be a caring and protective force for you. Thank you for sharing the protection prayer as well! :sparkles:

Beautiful cleaning and consecration work, @Mark01! I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with tweaking premade spells to better suit your practice. Your magick is something sacred and personal- the most important thing is that it resonates with you! Great job and thanks for sharing :sparkling_heart:

I know I said it in the other thread, but I really enjoyed your post on Hecate, @anon87969570- thanks again for sharing it! :blush:

Congrats on your new bonds with Pan and Persephone, @RyuWyn! May They watch over and guide you :heart_decoration:

10 Likes

What a joy to read. Loved it.
Can you imagine sitting around a campfire, listening to this tale. eek! Serious Halloween stuff. Shudder.
Garnet

6 Likes

Bri, what a smart and imaginative group of people. Are we lucky or what?

5 Likes

As always, Ron. Well thought out and presented.

5 Likes

I tend to think that Hecate and Morrigan will wear anything they damn well please.

I think Hecate might prefer black jeans with a blood red hoodie, but that is just a guess. She will do as She will do.

You could always reach out and ask. If theyā€™re calling, not the wardrobe choices.

6 Likes

Hee! True. But Iā€™ve tried to listen for Hecate at the very least and I didnā€™t get anything. So who knows.

5 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more, Garnet- there are so many brilliant folks here (yourself included!) :heart: The forum is truly blessed indeed! :infinite_roots: :blush:

6 Likes

Ooh thank you for sharing this. It was fascinating and i find I like the concept of Persephone as a formidable Goddess of the Underworld or at least not unhappy

5 Likes

Sometimes you donā€™t need all the bells and whistles but a sincere intent (Sorry Megan, I Know thereā€™s a better word, I just canā€™t think of it).
Iā€™ve had my best experiences with the Devine, if you will, through meditation.
Nothing is wrong as far as contacting the other world. Some people like, or feel the need for all the ceremony, and thatā€™s fine too. No one is going to point fingers and shout ā€œShame, shame, shame.ā€ Game of Thrones reference.
I am glad you had a positive experience. I talk to my parents and brother who passed, but I wouldnā€™t call that prayer. I just miss them.

5 Likes

This challenge has closed- but no worries! You can still respond to old posts in a private message or new thread, or you can visit Activities to find and join a current challenge.