đŸ‘Œ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Working With Higher Powers

Warm greetings to all!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined for last week’s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Trick-or-Treat :candy:

With full bellies from a frightfully fun weekend, it’s time to turn our gazes up (or down, inwards, or elsewhere!) to say our blessings and seek out the higher powers in our practices.

This week’s challenge was suggested by the gracious @Garnet and is

Witchy Challenge Higher Powers Deities Spells8

:angel::pray::sun_with_face: Working With Higher Powers :full_moon_with_face: :place_of_worship: :candle:

It has been a long while since the previous deities challenge- so consider this to be part two! Although this time the door is open wider to include more than traditional gods and goddesses: now it’s a study in higher powers of any kind, whether they be deities, angels, demons, spirits, or natural forces.

Note: For this challenge, what counts as a “higher power” is largely defined by your personal practice and beliefs.

There are so many potential higher powers that can be called upon, given offerings to, or worshipped. You may choose to call on a higher power for aid in casting, find a connection with a new diety, or simply learn about a being that is interesting to you.

This week’s challenge is all about drawing on higher powers in your magickal practice :angel:

So are you ready? Because it’s

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bellhop_bell:

Art by Cocorrina: Hecate

STEP 1 : Higher Powers in Your Magickal Practice :fire:

There are many ways you might go about this challenge- here are few initial questions you might ask yourself to help figure out where to get started:

1. Do you currently worship or draw on a higher power in your practice (divine being, angel, spirit, nature, elements, etc)?

2. Is there a higher power that has been calling to you/of interest to you?

3. If you haven’t yet, would you like to try drawing on higher powers/divine beings in your magickal practice?

With the above questions answered, you’ll find yourself with a direction to move forwards to for this challenge!

:thinking: Learn About a Using Higher Powers in Magick

For those who haven’t worked with higher powers before, a great place to get started is to learn about the process.

In order to connect with a higher power, you might:

• Search your memory for any coincidences or any deities that have appeared for you either recently or over the years.

• Learn more about how to find and connect with higher powers. The following discussions are great places to find tips and experiences:

→ How Do You Find and Connect With a Deity?
→ Approaching Deities: Reverence is Key
→ Should You Pray to a Deity?
→ Can You Do a Deity Prayer Without Worshipping Them?
→ Having Trouble Connecting With a Pantheon
→ Types of Elementals
→ Can You Use Elements as a Higher Power?

Art by Michell Rosenthal: Five Elements

:open_book: Learn About a New Power

Ready to begin but don’t have a power or being in mind? A good entry for this challenge could be researching and learning about potential deities, beings, and forces.

Here are a few resources you might pursue:

→ Moon Worship: The Mother of Universal Protection
→ Working With the Fae
→ Gods and Goddesses: Protective Spirits of the Hearth
→ Thoughts on Creatures?
→ The Draconic Code of Honor and previous Dragon Magick Challenge
→ Deities shared in entries for the Dealing in the Divine Challenge and Deities of the Moon Challenge

The Egyptian Pantheon
Egyptian-Wiccan-Devotional-Prayers-360x240

The Greek Pantheon
Greek-Devotionals-360x240

The Roman Pantheon
Roman-Deities-Wiccan-Prayers-Devotionals-1-360x240

The Celtic Pantheon
Celtic-Devotionals-Wicca-360x240

:handshake: Deepen Current Bonds

For those who work with a deity that requires exclusivity, are monotheistic, or simply want to deepen their bond with a deity they already work with, perhaps spend time learning more about Them this week.

You might:

• Learn more about Their story and history
  • Take some time to study Their strengths and weaknesses
  • Study Their correspondences
  • Make a detailed entry for Them in your Book of Shadows or Grimoire

:candle: Worship, Offerings, & Rituals

For those who have a higher power in mind, now is the time to draw on Their strength! Here are few active ways you might call upon a higher power of being in your practice this week:

• Make an offering (based on Their correspondences, art, food, etc.)
  • Call on Them in spellwork or ritualwork
  • Meditate with Them
  • Offer thanks or a gratitude ritual
  • Add something to your altar or sacred space in Their honor

:raised_hands: 
And More!

As always, challenges are meant to be open- feel free to call upon higher powers and work with divine sources of energy in a way that resonates with you and your unique magickal practice!

Picture from Enchanted Living: How to Make a Nature Altar

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

All witches are welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who don’t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a shout-out, you will have to share your experience with the forum.

Please share:

• About your experience learning about or drawing on higher powers in your magickal practice this week

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, November 9th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)
( 2021-11-09T06:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Art by Regrena: Elemental Spirits

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Art by Mary Curtin: Moon Worship

May those you call upon always hear your prayers and may you always practice with the love and blessings of higher powers

Blessed be! :angel::sparkles:

20 Likes

I love that elemental picture with the 4 women!!!

I can’t wait to do this, I already know what I’ll do :grin::green_heart:

13 Likes

Oooh I love this one @BryWisteria!!! Thanks for sharing the links to the pantheon categories :heart_eyes:

As you might have read, I am in a phase where I’m learning more about pantheons and their respective deities and, the more I learn, the more I want to know :smiley:

I will probably not be able to join this challenge, I have been swamped with work and other things for the past few days and I will still be busy for a while. But I will follow along and see what other members will share! Can’t wait to see what everyone’s entry will be like :heart:

However, a couple of days ago, I did contact a saint. I didn’t do anything in particular like an altar or anything. I just meditated for a few of minutes and talked to him. I am still not sure if he has heard my prayers, but I will wait to see results, then I will definitely share my experience here. It will be too late for the challenge, but I will still want to share it :slight_smile:

Love that picture of Hecate :heart: :heart: :heart:

13 Likes

So many possibilities! I’m not sure what to do! Can’t wait to figure it out!

11 Likes

The timing for this Challenge is just right! I am halfway through my 2nd book :bookmark: on the Morrigan & besides her reaching out to me throughout the last month or so that I have noticed I could share what I have found out about Her.

However, I never thought about what I do at my altar as working with a higher power when I represent the elements during any spellwork or ritual things. I don’t know what I thought I was doing when I was using them on my altar each time with specific items for each element, but I didn’t think of it in this context
 Sorry for rambling
 my point is, that I could do something about that after reflecting on why it is that I represent them on my altar.

Options! I’m really going to have to put some thought into this week’s challenge! Thank you @BryWisteria & @Garnet for the topic & timing!

12 Likes

me too. i just saved it. so beautiful and enchanting.

14 Likes

One of my goals for the new Witch’s Year is to learn more about dragons from around the world.
Ancient Egyptian mythology has many dragons, both good and evil.

15 Likes

@Kasandra I have found that Druidry & Celtic origins incorporate dragons in some way. I have recently come across a deity being associated with dragons from Celtic Mythology. She is also recognized with Serpents. I don’t know if they are usually paired together or not :thinking:

12 Likes

That’s interesting! I’ll have to do some research on Celtic dragons.

10 Likes

Ohhh, I’m excited!

9 Likes

I never chose a Goddess, She chose me.

I was meditating and doing an out of body experience. I was deeply concentrating and just “Popped” out of my physical form. I wasn’t frightened but exciting and floated for a while, then I took off flying as fast as I could go.
To make a long story short, that was when I was introduced to the “Golden Library”. This is my personal sanctuary, where I meet my family that has gone before. I met Michael, the Archangel, and found he was my Guardian Angel. He took me to a room of thrones where I was introduced to my first God and Goddess.
In one throne sat a rather elderly gentleman (Very Zeus like )who soothed my, then, aching heart. A lovely woman stood by another throne. I never heard their names, but the lady looked like what we have been led to believe Aphrodite, or Athena looked, kindness surrounded them. These were lovely beings and I was delighted to meet them.
Then a young man walked into the room, he was rather non descript, in a blue work shirt and jeans. At the time I wondered if he was Jesus, but that many be a residual, subconscious Catholic teaching (one of my failings is an overactive imagination).
It was wonderful and I do believe in Mother Goddess, and Father Pro-tector, but something was wrong, still missing.
I have been drawn to Isis, Goddess of 10,000 names as well as Bastet.
But I still remained a seeker of knowledge, as we all are and grateful for the ability to do so. Through the guidance of Deity and the Power within each and everyone of us. Nurture you power, you were born with it.

We are strong,
we are blessed,
we are loved.

Come together in Peace, Children,
Leave in perfect Harmony

Garnet, Witch of the Ages

15 Likes

This may be my favorite Challenge so far’ and it’s just because I’ve always known of a “something” &/or a Highly spiritually Powerful Entity ‘lol’ u know, but for the past few years I have learned so much and it’s the collective knowledge of “Power” that’s my focus. I believe that the God-Goddess of this Universe are just as infinite as this Universe’ and like my mind and my powers Are infinite as well
’ :writing_hand:t3: :candle: đŸȘ„ :seedling:
especially when I give thanks/pray/call to/ a special or beloved deity that means so much.
This Challenge did open my heart and made/makes me feel so connected and confident in my roots ‘ and this is just the beginning. I’m so grateful to have a coven full of Infinite Roots :cupid::cupid: :cupid:

Much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Much :heart_eyes: Love to each and every 1
:seedling:

14 Likes

Oooh~! I can’t wait to give this challenge a go! I will definitely have to figure out what higher power I want to learn from/ learn about and go from there though. So many come to mind!

10 Likes

Glad you like it, @Christina4- can’t wait to see what you come up with! :blush:

You’re very welcome @Peridot! Knowledge is addictive, isn’t it? :grin::books: Sorry to hear you’re swamped with work, it is a busy time of year. I hope that the saint you reached to will respond to your call! Definitely keep us updated whenever you have the time :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Choices, choices! Hahaha you always have lovely entries, @Amethyst- looking forward to seeing what you’ll do! :heart:

Nice, @Susurrus! I think it’s safe to say that the elements take different roles in different practices. Not everyone may consider them to be a “higher power”, so I think it’s very valuable that you’ve taken the time to stop and consider how they fit into your practice. I hope doing so helps you deepen your bond with them and maybe even find new ways to use them on your altar/ in your practice! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I cannot wait to hear what you find, @Kasandra! :heart_eyes: I know I’ve mentioned it a thousand times around here, but it is fascinating to me how dragons appear in so many cultures around the world. Can’t wait to learn more from you- enjoy your research! :dragon_face:

Yay @RyuWyn! Enjoy! :blush:

That is a beautiful experience, @Garnet- thank you so much for sharing. You are very blessed to have such higher powers watching over and guiding you! May you continue to find strength in the divine power within you :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m so glad you like the theme so much, @Steph! May you continue to enjoy working with the higher power and divine influence in your life and magickal practice! Lots of love back to you- blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

There are indeed a lot of choices, @Velle! I’m sure whatever/whoever you choose to explore will be wonderful- wishing you all the best with your research on higher powers! Have fun with it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

I did the Bast Protection Against Evil Devotional

I set out an offering of a jar of feathers and a couple of my finest perfumes. I know she loves those. I lit a black candle and said the beautiful words from the devotional. I feel like I’m protected and can face my fears. I feel like this went well with the tea meditation for the Scorpio moon meditation.

This was taken with my camera phone so excuse the poor quality!!

15 Likes

Thanks, love! I have an idea, I’m just not certain I can get this prayer to rhyme or not. We’ll see.

9 Likes

Yes I work with higher power “Goddess Tara” means Goddess Mother Moon. Today in India, we celebrate this ritual as “Kali Puja”.

I participated with a full alter. Here is the picture:

@Princess_Tara

11 Likes

For this challenge, but also really for the past couple of weeks, I have been working with the energy of the goddess, Athena, the personification of wisdom. She is operating as my higher power as I aspire to acquire her strengths.

She is reminding me to fight well and be brave in court and I am having some success there, against the odds, which is gratifying and frankly, surprising. In one myth, she presided over a court trial.

I did the Spells8 prayer, burning patchouli and a purple candle at night (“owls”), and invoked her aid, asking her for strength and courage to prevail against my enemies.

Athena’s correspondences

Patron Goddess of Athens (named afer her), Greece and other cities. Spring festival dedicated to her.
Companion: NIke, Goddess of Victory
Her days: Monday, Thursday, 3rd day of the month, first day of dark moon (not Tuesday: Mars; not Friday: Venus). Invoke at night.
Candles/colors: white, purple, deep blue
Incense: patchouli, myrrh
Herbs: cinnamon, sage
Wood: Cedar, cypress, olive tree
Flowers: white roses
Offerings: olives, bread, honey, wine, owl figures,
Symbols: olive tree, owls, serpent, gold helmet, spear, rooster
Crystals: Tiger Eye (set in soldier’s shields for courage), Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite, Rainbow Fluorite
Values: Wisdom, intelligence, knowledge, effort, action, creativity, philosophy, chastity
Promotes: Victory in a war for a just cause, fertility, childbirth, industry
Professions: Soldiers, blacksmiths, weavers, shipbuilders, metalworkers - swords, shields, bits, bridles, etc.

10 Likes

Beautiful work with Bast, @Christina4- I know you treasure a bond with Her :blush: Thanks for sharing your lovely spellwork, and may Bast continue to watch over and protect you! :black_cat: :heart:

I know the struggles, @Amethyst- to rhyme, or not to rhyme? That is the question :laughing: It was freeing when I realized that I didn’t have to make every chant rhyme fully, but then again, I know it is pretty satisfying when all the words click together in a good rhyme. I’m sure whatever you create- rhyme or not- will be lovely! Good luck! :two_hearts:

Beautiful, @Princess_Tara! Wishing you a very Happy Diwali! Enjoy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Athena is a wonderful deity to work with, @mary25- thank you so much for sharing your wisdom! She corresponds with so many things
 looking at this list, I think it would be a good idea to consider Athena in various types of spellwork, especially when it comes to problem solving and seeking justice :balance_scale: :blush:

11 Likes

Thanks @BryWisteria

6 Likes