šŸ¬ Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE- Trick-or-Treat! Give Me Some Sweet Spells to Eat

Spooky greetings to all!

Thank you again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Making Objects Magickal :purse:

Thereā€™s magic in more than objects this week- thereā€™s power in the air itself! With three days (or more!) of holiday celebrations coming up, many would say this weekend is the most magical of the whole year!

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge is based on the upcoming holiday and Sabbat and isā€¦

Witchy Challenge Halloween Tasty Spells Food Magic

:candy: :ghost: Tricks, Treats, and Tasty Spells! :plate_with_cutlery: :jack_o_lantern:

As last yearā€™s Halloween/Samhain challenge delved into the more somber side of celebrations, this yearā€™s October holiday challenge is playing up the fun energy at this time of year.

Between spooky Halloween delights, tricking and treating, somber Samhain delicacies shared with ancestors, and a weekend of holiday excitement- now is a wonderful time to incorporate a touch of magick into your celebratory meals :plate_with_cutlery:

Feel free to put your Kitchen Witchery, Green/Herbal Magick, Potion Making, and/or other magickal talents to use in your holiday challenge entry this week!

Itā€™s all about magickal treats (and perhaps some spellwork tricks!) as you taste the best of the holidays this weekend.

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bellhop_bell:

Picture from Mama Natural: The Switch Witch

STEP 1 : Terrifyingly Tasty :yum:

This week is all about the magick of tasty goods- from meals, candies, foods, treats, sweets and more :candy:

There are many ways that you might incorporate magick into your meals and munchies for this challenge. To help you get started, here are just a few suggestions!

:fire: Cooking with Fire

As one of the fire festivals, a main symbol of Samhain is the flame. For your challenge entry this week, you might light it up and consider combining your cooking with some seasonal Fire Magick.

Working with the Element Fire
Fire-Invocation-Pagan-Chant-Prayer-360x240

Ways to incorporate fire could be frying, baking, or cooking on an open flame- like a BBQ :hotdog: :yum:

ā†’ Looking for recipes? Check out the Recipes Category of the forum for plenty of ideas! :woman_cook:

:ghost: Silent Supper for Samhain

Having a silent supper (also called a ā€œdumb supperā€) is a popular Samhain tradition for those who want to extend a hand of welcome to those who have passed through the veil.

Ideas for a Simple Samhain Dumb Supper

• Add extra plates and chairs at dinner for the deceased and share old family stories.
  • After the meal, the dishes set to the deceased (with food) are left by the door.
  • In many cases, children are left out during this practice to maintain the quiet of the atmosphere.
  • Dining in silence gives worshippers the headspace to focus on the dead and the spirits of their loved ones.

From Spells8: Samhain Ideas & Traditions

Picture from Pinterest

:lollipop: Candy Blessings

Whether youā€™re handing out goodies this Halloween night or are chowing down on tasty confections yourself, why not consider adding a touch of magick?

Blessing food and drink is a simple yet potent way to add protective qualities, good wishes, or general positive energy into your life.

Quick and Easy Drink Blessing
Quick-and-Easy-Tea-Blessing-1-360x240

For a collection of beautiful blessings by coven members to consider, check out the previous:

Magickal Blessings Challenge
Weekly Challenge Magickal Blessings Spells8

:jack_o_lantern: Powerful Pumpkins

Did you know that carving up certain vegetables can help to protect your home and hearth while the veil is at its thinnest and tricksters are on the loose?

Pumpkin carving is associated with both Halloween and Samhain and originated in Ireland.

Near Samhain it was customary to carve turnips (later pumpkins, due to an Irish tradition :jack_o_lantern:) and light candles inside them. Several centuries later, this tradition has its continuity in the current Halloween celebrations.

From Spells8: How to Celebrate Samhain

While today pumpkins are mostly carved for Halloween fun, the autumn squashes were originally carved into grotesque faces in order to scare malevolent spirits away from your home :house: .

Picture from Triangle: Tips & Tricks for Pumpkin Carving

:plate_with_cutlery: Altar Offerings

This weekend, you might decorate your altar with seasonal fruits such as pomegranates, nuts, grapes, pumpkins, squashes, or pears. These can serve as offerings for the Gods or deceased relatives.

ā€“>More inspiration can be found in Samhain Altars

Some also build a separate altar for their ancestors. On your ancestor altar, you might place pictures, letters, their favorite food and drinks.

2714820e206a51d5c084c4ea91abbd29
Picture from Pinterest

:raised_hands: ā€¦And More!

Whether you are living it up for Halloween, honoring the dead for Samhain, or digging into the bounty of spring for Beltane- food is intricately tied in to the holiday celebrations this weekend :yum:

Feel free to whip up your best and be creative with your tasty challenge entry this week!

Picture from Reddit: Hot Pentagram Buns

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusivity

All witches are welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a shout-out, you will have to share your experience with the forum.

Please share:

• About your experience with food magick for the holiday weekend

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new thread in the forums.

Note : If you choose to create a new thread, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post so that I can easily find it- thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, November 2nd at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)
( 2021-11-02T06:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

Picture from Samhain Menu: Recipes for a Samhain Feast

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team .

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Picture from TikiKids: Halloween Feast

A spooky night is more than just frights,
So set the table and turn off the lights.
Seasoned with spells, thereā€™s nothing to fear-
Holiday blessings to all who eat here!

Boo-lessed be! :ghost: :candy:

21 Likes

Woo hoo :tada: I canā€™t wait!! I have to decide on something good. Although, now I know what to do with all my pomegranates!! Iā€™ll add it to my Samhain altar! Thanks for the idea @BryWisteria :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

As for the challenge, I always leave a dumb supper. So, Iā€™ve got to get creative. Hmm :thinking:ā€¦

15 Likes

I never do a dumb supper because both my Mom and Dad would be pissed over wasting good food. LOL. Even if it was for them. Iā€™ll have to think of what I can do. Maybe bless my store-bought pumpkin pie or something.

14 Likes

Oh, sweet! :grin: There are many ways I could approach this challenge! I may do them all!
I can say a blessing over the roasted pumpkin seeds from my Jack-O-Lantern. My town is having Trick-Or-Treating on the 30th this year (probably the 31st is on Sunday, a school night). For anyone who has heard of or played the Resident Evil games, Iā€™m dressing up as Jill Valentine this year and going to my parentsā€™ house to pass out candy to Trick-Or-Treaters. I can also say a blessing over the candy. Iā€™ll post the blessings later this week.

14 Likes

Perfect! I was just getting ready to bake a bunch of banana bread today :laughing: And Iā€™ve got some cherry pie filling that needs to be eaten.

12 Likes

I was looking at things for Samhain :skull: to make for myself & my friends. I found a rabbit hole of foods & recipes! I think Iā€™m spending Halloween with my friends & then doing something solitary on November 1st. I want to set up an ancestor altar :ghost: in my room too. Oooā€¦ so much to do! Very exciting. :jack_o_lantern:

11 Likes

Iā€™m excited for this one! My daughter has 2 pumpkins, not sure if sheā€™s wanting to carve but weā€™ll define getting the seeds. Iā€™m making food for the party so Iā€™ll find ways to incorporate some magick into it :yum: So many ideas! And even though itā€™s more of a catholic thing, thereā€™s commemorative ideas for dia de Los Muertos. Typically Mexican but itā€™s a thing in Honduras as well. More low key. Iā€™ll go ā€œvisitā€ my parents and bring flowers

10 Likes

Ohhh that sounds lovely, @Christina4! :heart: Pomegranates are a traditional symbol of life and death and while I know they correspond with Persephone, Iā€™m not sure if the ties go deeper than that! Iā€™m sure they will be a wonderful addition to your Samhain altar. Enjoy your dumb supper as well! :blush:

I agree that itā€™s important to consider the wishes of those who the supper is for- it sounds like a pumpkin pie blessing is a good way to go, @Amethyst! And ohhh now Iā€™m craving some pie :drooling_face: :pie:

Blessed pumpkin seeds and candy sounds like a great plan, @Kasandra! And ahhh that sounds awesome- have a blast handing out treats! :candy:

I volunteer to help eat the pie filling, @MeganB :raising_hand_woman: :joy: And ohhhh banana bread sounds yummy- happy baking! :heart:

A Halloween party with friends and solo Samahain sounds like a great balance between the two festivities, @Susurrus :blush: Have fun with your cooking, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll make some terrifying tasty treats! Enjoy!

So many fun ideas, @Peaches- it sounds like this weekend will be a busy one for you! :grin: I hope you and your daughter have a wonderful time- enjoy! :partying_face:

10 Likes

I pulled the Pumpkin card from my Seasons of the Witch Samhain Oracle deck a couple of days ago. I was very pleased to find in the book after the meaning of the card a recipe for Spiced Pumpkin Cake which I may give a try (Iā€™m not much a baker when it comes to sweet things).

Iā€™ve now typed up the recipe and I think itā€™s likely beyond my skills and I may just cheat and by something ready made instead! But hereā€™s the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a try:

Spiced Pumpkin Cake.pdf (184.8 KB)

13 Likes

Oh I love Resident Evil!! Youā€™d make a great Jill!! Have fun!!

8 Likes

Ohh I canā€™t wait! Getting all my things today!:jack_o_lantern::sparkles:

7 Likes

And the pie is round, perfect for putting a star on it and calling it a pentacle! LOL!

8 Likes

Thanks! I actually look a bit like Jill. Thatā€™s why I picked her.

10 Likes

Finally! Iā€™m so excited! haha.

This will be my first Halloween as an actual witch. Iā€™m planning to do many things that Iā€™ll share when the time comes, also, my little brother might join me as well, he knows that Iā€™m a witch :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish you all good luck with whatever youā€™re going to do and Happy Samhain!

Pd. The first picture is very funny, lol

13 Likes

Aw sweet!! Thatā€™s so cool! Growing up, my friends used to say that I looked like a mix between Amy from Evanescence and the original wonder woman, Lynda Carter. Iā€™m not wonder woman :grin:

12 Likes

White Fox,
Ow how exciting your for Samhain that is so exciting and I hope your writing :writing_hand: it all down on paper :memo: cause I tried to be a good witch but I mess up ā€œhere and thereā€ but I love looking back on all the sabbats and esbates and seeing all the fun crafts Ive done! I should see what I did last year in my bos!
I really appreciate this sabbat though cause Iā€™ve always had a strong connection to the dead. I should connect to my ancestors by writing to them even if itā€™s a couple lines! Just to be frank I can even make them a treat like a brew, or a treat that they would like to call in on there spirit to communicate with them!
I hope you enjoy your first Samhain this is only my second being a witch!
Hope you have a Happy Samhain!
Jeannie

9 Likes

Thanks Iris love pumpkin :jack_o_lantern: but I never cooked before with pumpkin! I made some pumpkin seeds! Lol
Ow yeah some box pumpkin bread! Lol
Jeannie

9 Likes

Oh goodness that sounds delicious, @IrisW! :drooling_face::cake: A percent recipe for this time of year- thanks for sharing and blessed cooking (or just eating if you find something at the bakery!) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy, @Misfitbabe! :two_hearts:

There you go, @Amethyst! :grin: Iā€™ve been seeing witchy folks adding pentacles/pentagrams left and right on food- itā€™s a quick, easy, and yet powerful way to add a touch of magick :blush: Enjoy!

Congrats on your first Halloween ritual, @RyuWyn! :partying_face: And hahaha glad you liked the picture- that one had me laughing too :joy: Hope you and your brother have a lovely time this weekend!

Wishing everyone a very happy and blessed weekend- may it be full of terrifyingly tasty treats! :pie::cake: :jack_o_lantern: :yum:

Blessed be! :sparkles:

10 Likes

Thank you! :jack_o_lantern:

8 Likes

When my son and his BFF were 15, I didnā€™t want them running the streets
creating mischief. So In order to know when and where the ā€˜boysā€™ were, I threw a Halloween party. We made ice cubes, putting little plastic spiders in them and then they were all dumped into a green punch we made.
I made dirt and worms (crushed Oreoā€™s and gummy worms), they loved it.
We all dressed up and let them watch scary movies while the adults (Moms and Dads were also invited.) stayed in the den. Intermittent rounds to check on treats and tricks the boys and their girlfriends were up to.
I swear it always rained, turning to sleet on Halloween every year.
We had candles and ciderā€¦too bad I donā€™t have teenagers anymore.
It was such fun. And such a celebration of autumn.

11 Likes