šŸ‘° Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Deities of the Moon

A warm welcome to all!

Thank you once again to everyone who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Beauty Magick :rose:

Confident and proud of our own beauty, itā€™s time to look upwards. There we can see the lovely magnificence in the night sky- Her beautiful glory :full_moon:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

:full_moon: :bride_with_veil: Deities of the Moon :sparkles::pray:

Across pantheons and traditions, the Moon is a symbol of reverence that is commonly associated with deities or worshiped as deity in and of itself.

Moon magick is one of the most popular aspects of magick, so your challenge-making moderator tries to plan one moon-related challenge each set of challenges between Catch-Ups.

With the beautiful Full Buck Moon blessing us this weekend- it is a wonderful opportunity to explore our beliefs and practices in Her beautiful light.

This challenge is all about exploring and working with moon deities :full_moon_with_face:

Are you ready? Itā€™sā€¦ CHALLENGE TIME! :bellhop_bell:

Selene_and_Endymion
[From Wikipedia: A List of Lunar Deities]

STEP 1 : Moon Worship :full_moon:

Moon deities appear across pantheons and traditions- the Moon is a key part of many magickal practices!

For this challenge, you might consider doing any one (or all!) of the following:

• :thinking: Explore the role of the Moon in your practice- do you worship a deity associated with the moon, worship the moon itself, or simply use the power of the moon in spellwork?

• :open_book: Learn about a new Moon God, Goddess, or Deity

• :place_of_worship: Worship and make offerings to a Moon Deity

• :open_hands: Do spell or ritual work drawing on a Moon Deity or the power of the moon

There are many ways you can enter this challenge- here are just a few suggestions and resources to help you get started!

:bride_with_veil: Working with Moon Deities

Selene
Selene-Wiccan-Devotional-360x240

Hecate
Hecate-Goddess-of-Magic-360x240

Artemis (also known as Diana)
Artemis-Devotional-Prayer-360x240

Cerridwen
Cerridwen-Goddess-Art-360x240

Wiccan Triple Goddess
Wiccan God and Goddess

:place_of_worship: Worshipping the Moon Itself

You do not need a specific diety to worship the moon- for many witches, the Moon itself is a deity/ powerful force worth honoring!

Here are few spells and rituals drawing on the power of the Moon that you could use in your Craft:

Moon Water Ritual
Moon-Water-Recipe-DIY-Spells8-360x240

Full Moon Oil
Full-Moon-Oil-Recipe-Spells8-360x240

Moon Spell for Strength and Power
Spell-for-Motivation-Strength-Power-360x240

A Ritual for the Full Buck Moon (Julyā€™s Full Moon)
Full-Buck-Moon-Ritual-Celebration-360x240

:raised_hands: ā€¦And More!

As always, challenges are designed to be adaptable to everyoneā€™s unique practices.

Feel free to let your creativity shine brightly with how you worship the Moon this week :full_moon_with_face:

PART 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for notes about challenge inclusitivity

All witches are welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a shout-out, you have to share your experience with the forum.

To enter this challenge, please share:

1. Your experience exploring/worshipping the Moon

For your entry to be counted, please write about your experience in the comments below and/or create a new post in the forums.

If you create a new post, please tag the challenge by adding a hyperlink back to this post - thank you! :bowing_woman:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, July 27th at 7:00 AM CET (Central European Time Zone)
( 2021-07-27T05:00:00Z )

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

il_340x270.3102179671_7nch
[From Etsy: Moon God Khonsu]

A warm reminder that all challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to a moderator.

For those new to challenges, know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Guiding us gently through the night, how She shines with beautiful light
Her grace and power become a boon, to all who worship the lovely Moon

Blessed be! :bride_with_veil: :sparkles:

18 Likes

This is right up my street. Iā€™ve become very aware of moon phases since I started seriously explore Wicca and Witchcraft.

I think Iā€™m going to have to do something in honour of Hekate, now for the planning!

13 Likes

Iā€™m going to be doing the Buck Moon Spell. :grin:

13 Likes

Oh I love these challenges where we get to explore deities. It gives me a chance to do some research and dig into new deities that Iā€™m not familiar with :sunflower:

13 Likes

Iā€™ve ordered this book :slight_smile:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/1789042828?psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Hoping this gives me some additional ideas.

10 Likes

Ooh I love this challenge!
I NEED to make some moon water this month, I loved doing the buck moon spell last year so thatā€™ll be one to add to the to-do list and Selene and Diana will definitely be getting some offerings and attention :joy: yay!

10 Likes

Yes! One of my Patronā€™s is Selene!!! Iā€™m so excited for this challenge! Now to figure out exactly what I want to doā€¦ :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

11 Likes

Ooo another one that I am stumped for! Although I did get a great bottle to make Moon Water in so I can do that & I can charge my crystals from my altarā€¦ thereā€™s some newer ones that havenā€™t met the Moon yet. I feel like I should do a little bit of something else too. I will think about it today & come up with something. :heart:

8 Likes

My key necklace will be arriving tomorrow! :key: I think Iā€™ll ask Hecate to bless it so that whenever something from the past is bothering me (i.e., a regret), I can wear it to remind myself to close and lock the door on it.

11 Likes

I worked all morning on what I was going to do. I decided on finding information on The Moon tarot card & a Full Moon Tarot Spread. I will also make Moon Water in my new bottle that night. I donā€™t work with the moon as others do. I love the moon & its energy for Moon Water & charging my crystals. I have been trying to learn my tarot cards more in-depth to read them a little more intuitively. :

My favorite deck more recently is the Tarot of the Divine. I make sure to read the stories & the meanings of each card that I draw, no matter how many times I have drawn it in the past. A few of them, their meaning pops into my head before I can even reach for the book. I can look at the card as I place it down & have an idea of its meaning before I even look at the correspondence for the reading. Itā€™s a great feeling to be able to do that finally. Itā€™s taken me almost a year to get here. I can look at the entire spread after the cards are laid out & get a general feel for how the reading will be.

Tarot of the Divine - The Moon

The moon is the subconscious and all its illusions, potential, pitfalls, and the possibility of self-deception. Here two tanukis- shape-shifting raccoon-like animals- each staring at a different moon, though it is not clear which is the real one. (Russia- Russian Fairy Tale)

According to Tarot.com

The Moon Upright Meaning

The Moon card refers to a deep state of sensitivity and imaginative impressionability, developed within a womb of deep relaxation. Here we dream and go into a trance, have visions and receive insights, wash in and out with the psychic tides, and experience deep mystical and/or terrifying realities beyond our ordinary senses. In a state of expanded consciousness, we cannot always control what happens. The Moon card represents the ultimate test of a soulā€™s integrity, where the membrane between the self and the unknown is removed, and the drop of individuality re-enters the ocean of being. What transpires next is between a soul and its maker.

The Moon Reversed Meaning

The Moon card reversed suggests that you might be deluding yourself, exaggerating or embellishing your version of a situation. Consider whether you are repeating an emotional, dramatic rendition of events rather than keeping to the bare facts.

The temptation to let yourself be swept away emotionally or psychically is understandable, but it doesnā€™t help you find your balanced center in chaotic times.

The Moon Advice Position

The Moon card advises that you trust your instincts and intuitions. Your intuitive body, which is connected to all living things, is sharper and quicker than the cultivated, civilized self. The everyday mind may not be prepared for strange oceanic circumstances. Plus, it has no game plan. Your intuitive body will support you unerringly if you do not interfere with or try to control what you perceive. A better approach would be to meditate. Try to be a witness. Do nothing; let nature carry you forward. This may be your best option in this situation.

From the same website:

The Moon Card on a Full Moon

ā€œEach night, Lady Moon gathers unto herself all the discarded memories and forgotten dreams of humanity. These she stores in her silver cup till dawn. Then, at first light, all these forgotten dreams and neglected memories are returned to Earth as Moon-sap or dew. Mingled with lacrimae lunae, ā€˜the tears of the Moon,ā€™ this dew nourishes and refreshes all life on Earth. Through compassionate care of the Goddess, nothing of value is lost to man.ā€ ā€“from the Legend of the Moon by Sallie Nichols.

ā€œDo all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.ā€ ā€“John Wesley.

The force of the Sun and Moon are illumined, and the pure potential of both lights is fully active. The chalice cup is full, life is brimming over with expectation, and the cornucopia horn of plenty has been placed at the center table of life. Wisdom shines outward. Share your gifts, talents, joys, and manifested creations through teaching, writing, dancing, and community sharing. This is the peak of light, and you are filled with its radiant glow.

Suggested flower essence: Lotus ā€¦ the flower of water and air bringing the unconscious forces into conscious knowing and insight.

5 Deities also Associated with the Moon

Selene is the goddess of the moon in the ancient Greek polytheistic tradition, born from the love between titans. His mother was Theia, the divinity of light, united with his brother Hyperion, the divinity of the skyā€™s brightness. Selene had two brothers: Elios, the god of the Sun, and Eos, goddess of the dawn.

Also called ā€œthe Radiant,ā€ Selene illuminated the earth with her superhuman beauty. The goddess Selene was traditionally described as a woman of incomparable beauty and a pale face.

Depicted in long flowing white or silver robes, she carried a torch in her hand and a crescent moon over her head. Her most characteristic image sees her in the firmament driving her lunar chariot, pulled by white and meek oxen. Selene belonged to the Greek triad of moon gods.

Together with her were Artemis, the growing moon, symbol of youth and carefree, and Hecate, the waning moon, a symbol of old age and wisdom. Selene was the depiction of the full moon. For this reason, within the triad, she had the role of mother.

By this triple characterization of the moon, Selene symbolizes the fullness, maturity, and fertility of a woman who carries the seed of life and new birth in her womb.

Artemis

Artemis was, in fact, known as the lunar goddess (terrestrial) together with Selene (celestial) and Hecate (underground). She was the daughter of Zeus and Latona and spent her life in the woods in the company of the Nymphs devoted to her.

His most recurring image was characterized by a silver bow (which is symbolic of the half-moon or a crescent moon), a quiver full of arrows (like her brother Apollo), and a retinue of faithful dogs.

She often had her head surrounded by the moon and stars, in her hand, she carried a torch (as a lunar deity), and some animals were sacred to her, such as the bear, which has two opposite characters: protective sweetness towards her cubs and ferocity bloody towards those who oppose it; the lioness, majestic, fascinating and very skilled in the art of hunting; the fallow deer and the hare, by their nature fugitive creatures prone to a secluded and shy existence.

Hekate

If Selene is associated with the full moon and Artemis with the crescent moon, Hecate can be connected to the phase of the new moon, that is, the moment when the moon is totally dark.

This is the phase of the moonā€™s death, which runs through the world of the underworld in which this divinity reigns. Hecate was, in fact, an infernal deity originally from Asia Minor who was then exported to Greece and worshiped in a triad together with Artemis and Demeter, goddess of the earth.

In his Theogony, Hesiod wants her to be the daughter of Perse and Asteria, of the lineage of the Titans. Still, in the rest of the poetic tradition, Hecate is identified as the daughter of Zeus, or Tartarus or Aristaeus.

Like all underworld deities, dark attributes dominate in Hecate, which links her to the sphere of spells, evocations, and ghosts. For this reason, even after the end of paganism, this divinity remained linked to magic and witchcraft.

In fact, wizards and witches sacrificed lambs and black dogs to her. Its altars and the houses were erected in the trivia and the quadrivium, hence the nickname ā€œTrivia.ā€

Sin Polynesian

Sina in Akkadian or Nanna in Sumerian is the Sumerian moon god and protector of the lunar cycle, son of the sky god Enlil and the wheat goddess Ninlil, Sina was associated with cattle breeding, he bestowed fertility and prosperity on cowboys, ruled the increase of water, the growth of reeds, the increase of the herd, etc.

His consort is Ningal, ā€œGreat Lady,ā€ goddess of reeds and swamps; every Spring, the worshipers of Sina reconstructed the myth of Sinaā€™s visit to his father Enlil with a ritual journey to Nippur, bringing with them the first dairy products of the year.

Sina was depicted as an older man with a flowing lapis lazuli beard, wearing a four-horned headdress topped with a crescent and riding a winged bull, and he was also depicted as a herdsman or boatman.

Thoth

Beloved and revered in the city of Khmonou (in Greek, Hermopolis) in Middle Egypt, Thoth was the God of writing, magic, wisdom, mathematics, and geometry, inventor of hieroglyphs. He is the patron saint of scribes; he was responsible for the invention of writing.

Another characteristic of Thoth was that of being a lunar deity. Since the moon was one of the bases of the Egyptian calendar, he was the ā€œcollector of yearsā€ and the ā€œlord of time.ā€ In the Low Age, as the moon replaced Thothiva for the sun during the night, he was called the ā€œSilver Aten.ā€ It was represented in the form of baboon and ibis. On his head, he had a crescent-shaped moon.

There you have them, the main deities associated with the moon. If you are looking for a way to connect with the moon to a deeper level, you could rely on the deity resonating with you and your energy the most. It would be amazing for both your craft and your spirituality.

Information from: List of 5 Deities Associated with the Moon

That is how I work with the moon mostly, Moon Water, Charging my crystals & cards & jewelry. I pay attention to its meanings in my tarot readings to learn more about how it correlates to my life. I donā€™t click with any of the deities, or they havenā€™t let me know that itā€™s time to work with them.

Honestly, the only connection to a deity that I feel right now is to Brigid. She is a powerful part of my daily life & in my practice. I like to learn about other deities & how they offer guidance to those that feel called to them.

I love to look at the moon & look at things under the moonlight. I often think about its power because it causes the ocean to ebb & flow & the tides to rise & fall as it moves through the sky & goes through its phases & transits.

14 Likes

Hmm, this might be a good chance to work with Hekate. The moon is a very important part of my Craft. Iā€™ve noticed Iā€™m quite in touch with moon phases since I started studying them.

Best of luck to everyone participating. Blessed Be.

8 Likes

Those tarot cards are beautiful :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Thank you! I love them! I hope that the information helps others too!

7 Likes

Enjoy your work with Hecate, @IrisW! :full_moon: The Temple of Bones looks like the perfect book to explore work with Her :blush:

Wishing you a very blessed Buck Moon ritual, @Christina4! :full_moon_with_face:

So glad you like the theme @MeganB :heart: Iā€™m looking forward to seeing which diety you explore!

What a plan, @Limeberry! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Enjoy your Buck Moon ritual, moon water crafting, and work with Selene and Diana. Iā€™ve been working a bit with Diana/Artemis lately too- She is a lovely moon deity indeed! :sparkles:

Blessed work with Selene, @Amaris_Bane! :full_moon:

Perfect timing with the key necklace, @Kasandra- may Hecate offer Her blessing on your new treasure! :old_key:

Your Tarot of the Divine is truly gorgeous @Susurrus- thank you for exploring it and sharing your findings! :heart_eyes: I especially love the information on Artemis and her silver bow :bow_and_arrow: Thanks so much for sharing!

Enjoy your work with Hekate, @Colin- blessed be! :sparkles:

10 Likes

Do you worship a deity associated with the moon, worship the moon itself, or simply use the power of the moon in spellwork?:- Yes, I worship the power of Moon.

I am going to the Buck-Moon tarot spread and spell work, but want to share the prayer that use to get help from Moon:
daa4653fd8d5445442d48dbc788693fa

Reference: Full Moon Prayer ā€“ Witches Of The CraftĀ®

12 Likes

I love moon magic, that is what really reinvigorated my interest in magic this year. This week Iā€™ll be leaving my crystals out in the full moonlight for a charge.
Another activity Iā€™m looking forward to is doing a moon ritual with my daughter. She is five and has been having bad dreams a lot lately. We went online and I let her pick out a dream catcher for her room. I was thrilled when she picked out a moon design without any input from me. Itā€™s arriving today, we will bless it and ask the moon to protect her through the night. Iā€™ll incorporate the prayer above @Princess_Tara, itā€™s lovely!
Will also be doing the full Buck moon tarot spread you shared, Iā€™m looking forward to it. Thank you!

12 Likes

Thatā€™s a lovely idea. I hope her bad dreams go away.

8 Likes

I think this is perfect for me. Iā€™ll be doing the full buck moon ritual for sure.

Last night, I saw the moon in a different spot (probs because itā€™s moving from Sagittarius to Capricorn) but I did what Scott Cunningham said and for the 3rd night I received her light. I started thanking everything I have, the beautiful life I live right now, and that even though I had such a bad moments in childhood I was able to be strong and live, because I knew something beautiful was waiting for me, I been feeling that was her that took care of me and gave me the strength I needed. Surprisingly my period came today, after almost 3 months.

Iā€™m feeling really blessed by her. Iā€™m sure last challenge helped a lot as well, and I thank you for that also. :heart_decoration:

11 Likes

Oh, this is fun! I am a child of the moon that is being raised by the sun, walking in a world of stars.
During the full moon, I like to listen to music, chant, dance, and perform a simple ritual to let go of whatever is not serving me anymore to make room for the new blessings I desire to come my way throughout the next month. I perform a cleansing to clear any stagnant energy that may be lurking in and around my house.
Here is a lovely full moon chant by Heather Houston ā€œSisters of the moonā€ https://youtu.be/fMoupCGttF4
Water is the element of the moon so I like to make moon water under the full moon. I will get a clean jar or glass bottle and fill it halfway with water. Then I stand under the full moon holding the jar with both hands above my head, I look up at the moon and say, ā€œoh mother moon her my call, I call upon the light of the full moon to charge this water with power this hour. Forever change this water with love and protection. Thank you moon I am grateful for youā€ Then I set the jar of water down and let it bathe in the moonlight overnight.
A moon chant to welcome in peace of mind: WORRIES BE GONE I NEED YOU NO MORE WORRIES BE GONE OUT THE FRONT DOOR STRESS AND STRAINS WORRIES AND STRIFE LEAVE NOW DEPART AND BE GONE FROM MY LIFE
The moon itself symbolizes our inner world, what happens in the dark, our unconscious, the hidden. She both lights the way and invites us back to the dark. I choose to work with Hekate for the new moon. This is when I perform shadow work. I light 3 candles (black, white, and red) acknowledge her and present an offering of garlic, honey, and my dogā€™s hair clippings. I invite her into my shadow to help guide me and to keep me safe. She comforts me and gives me the strength to complete whatever work needs to be done. I am eternally grateful for the triple goddess.
ā€œGoddess of the crossroads, Queen of the night, Mother of witches. I raise my chalice to you. Before I drink from the well of wisdom, give me the sight of clear understanding and light my way as I walk through the darkness of fear and pain. I declare I am strong and fearless I am peaceful I am calm I am crone. Protect me from all harm and surround me with your arms.ā€
-love and blessings

12 Likes

For my challenge entry this week, unfortunately, Iā€™m going to have to have another take-it-easy week ā€“ I hate that I keep brining this up, but my depression and anxiety have been acting up really bad today, so I was looking through the devotionals on here, and decided to do Seleneā€™s Devotional Chant for Courage and then go to bed early tonight to try to get some extra sleep. I feel like courage is what Iā€™m lacking the most at the moment ā€“ I need a bit of extra courage to help me push through my anxiety-driven fears of Just Doing Stuff until Iā€™m able to have my telehealth appointment with my doctor that I have scheduled for Saturday. Iā€™ve never attempted to work with Selene before, so weā€™ll see how it goes! :smiley:

13 Likes