Gods & Goddesses of the Home: Protective Spirits of the Hearth

Most animistic and polytheistic traditions have some conception of a house god, goddess or deities which rule the sacred enclosure of the home. :house_with_garden: :sparkles:

These gods of home protection can help manage the microcosm that is the domus, the hearth and the home. Having an altar or shrine for the spirits that live at home is a way to become the priest/priestess of our sacred quarters.

What are Household Deities? :pray:

These are deities or spirits that protect the home, particularly overseeing the family. It has been a common belief in paganism, as well as in the folklore of many parts of the world.

A common type of protective spirit is the hearth goddess :fire: , such as the Greek Hestia and the Celtic Brigid.

For example, it was an offence to Hestia to refuse hospitality to a stranger. Hestia’s followers recognized the sacred obligation of sheltering and protecting those in need from ill treatment.

:classical_building: In Ancient Greece, the town hall was built around a hearth that honoured Hestia. The living flame of Hestia was tended constantly and was never allowed to die out.

The circle was an important symbol of Hestia. It symbolized her as the “complete” goddess, the goddess who was whole and complete within herself. She was seen to represent the center; the center of the home and family, the center of the city and even of the world itself.

In Celtic lore, Brigid is associated with perpetual, sacred flames, such as one maintained by 19 nuns at her sanctuary in Kildare, Ireland. The sacred flame is said to have been surrounded by a hedge, which no man could cross. Men who attempted to cross the hedge were said to have been cursed to go insane, die or be crippled.

In Aztec religion, Chantico (“she who dwells in the house”) is the deity reigning over the fires in the family hearth. According to Aztec myths she brings wealth and stability to the home. Chantico protects the home from thieves and losing things

Chantico_in_Codex_Borbonicus

Another type of domestic deities are those of an animistic kind, who generally have lesser powers than the main deities.

Lares, Protectors of the Home :candle:

Ancient Etruscans practiced ancestral or family cults very similar to those offered by later Romans to their Lares. The word can be translated as “hero” and they may have been hero-ancestors that protect the family, hearth, and fields.

Offerings to the lares could be served at any time and they often involved honey cakes and honeycombs, grapes and first fruits, wine, and incense.

Household deities were generally worshiped not in temples but in the home. A Lararium was a type of shrine or altar that typically contained a Lares figure or two. Source.

Goblins

Goblins supposedly live in grottoes but attach themselves to households, where they are believed to bang upon pots and pans, snatch nightclothes off the bodies of sleeping people, move furniture at night, and flee after rapping on walls and doors.

Gobline home spirits

They are thought to help parents discipline children by rewarding the latter with presents when they are good and punishing them when they are disobedient. - Source

Brownies (Scotland and England)

A brownie is a household spirit from British folklore that is said to come out at night while the owners of the house are asleep and perform various chores and farming tasks. The human owners of the house must leave a bowl of milk or cream or some other offering for the brownie, usually by the hearth.

Brownie

Brownies are described as easily offended and will leave their homes forever if they feel they have been insulted or in any way taken advantage of. Brownies are characteristically mischievous and are often said to punish or pull pranks on lazy servants. If angered, they are sometimes said to turn malicious, like boggarts. - Source

Kobold (Germany)

Although usually invisible, a kobold can materialize in the form of an animal, fire, a human being, and a candle. They are mischievous household spirit who usually helps with chores and gives other valuable services but who often hides household and farm tools or kicks over stooping persons. He is temperamental and becomes outraged when he is not properly fed. He sometimes sings to children. Source

330px-Kobold_artlibre_jnl

Domovoy (Slavic)

The domovoy is the guardian of the family and its wealth, but he is partial to conscientious and hard-working people. He can foresee the future, and his groans and weeping or singing and jumping are interpreted as portents of evil or good. No household would consider moving to a new location without formally inviting the domovoy to join it.

220px-Domovoy household deity

A domovoy dwells in any number of places in each home: near the oven, under the doorstep, in the hearth. He never goes out beyond the boundaries of the household. Source

Nisse (Scandinavia)

Mythological creature from Nordic folklore today typically associated with the winter solstice and the Christmas season. :christmas_tree: According to tradition, the nisse lives in the houses and barns of the farmstead, and secretly acts as their guardian.

If treated well, they protect the family and animals from evil and misfortune, and may also aid the chores and farm work. However, they are known to be short tempered, especially when offended. Once insulted, they will usually play tricks, steal items and even maim or kill livestock. Source

.⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈. ⠈ೃ. ⠈. ⠈.

I have added in the picture above, a few symbols and runes that represent torches and sacred fires, such as the fire of the hearth. :fire:

May your house spirits and deities continue to bless and protect you!! :pray:

26 Likes

Thank you for this! I loved reading about the different deities of the home/hearth. I think I will invite one to my home as I cleanse the negative energy. I am working on my space right now and will do the rest of the house when people are awake and moving. I am thinking that after I use sage, I will use palo santo to bring in the positive energy. I use lavender in my space to keep it peaceful when I decide to go to sleep or nap.

I really like or connected with the domovoy, I think I will try to find one to invite to my home by the front door or in my kitchen. I think he would make a good addition.

7 Likes

Thanks, @Francisco I feel connected to Chantico . I’ve only worked with a couple dirties before. I feel that if I do something wrong, I’m wasting their time.

6 Likes

Thank you @Francisco! Just as I was about to spend the day cleaning. This is very helpful to know. I wish I dared keep a candle burning for Hestia on the stove but here in the apartments there is fire suppressents over it. I can just see me setting that off! LOL.

6 Likes

I’m just beginning my journey into learning about deities, right now I’m focusing on Hecate. It’s interesting to me about a candle on the stove for Hestia, I’ve always loved having a candle on the stove it’s got such a warm homey vibe.

6 Likes

@Susurrus That’s great! Personally I liked the idea of working with spirits of ancestors as they can also be called upon to protect the home! :house: :pray:

If you feel called by a deity, answering that call is by no means a waste of anyone’s time… But they may not like you calling them “dirties”! :laughing:

8 Likes

@Amethyst @Rowan Yes, I feel that candles used even in the simplest of contexts seem to have a magical way about them. :candle:

I’d love to have a fire burning constantly but I also live in an area that’s prone to forest fires. Safety First!!

8 Likes

Ooh :fearful: yeah dang auto correct

5 Likes

Autocorrect had it out for me yesterday too. It happens to all of us.

I have started researching Brigid, I really connect with her and enjoy learning about her. I have also found a domovoy on Etsy that I am going to invite into my home and put on the small countertop by our stove/oven.

9 Likes

Great find!! I’m glad that this post inspired you to invite new positive energies into your home!! :house:

5 Likes

This is awesome- I love how you researched dieties from all over the world and many different traditions! :world_map: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think it’s so cool to see how different cultures around the worlds sometimes have similar practices or deities, but with different names. Very interesting! :grin::open_book:

Reading through the list, a few of these characters (especially Kobolds and Brownies) remind me of the House elves from Harry Potter :laughing: :+1:- I bet some of these spirits were used as inspiration for the books! :books:

I think it’s very interesting how so many of them have short tempers and like to occasionally cause problems or play tricks! :joy:

Thanks so much for sharing, @Francisco! :sparkling_heart:

10 Likes

im curious about this. Do you have a link to the etsy store?

4 Likes

haha i see what you mean. Hopefully there not like dobby haha. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@kira-marie good morning! Here is the link to the store I got my domovoy from, I’m still waiting for it to ship. I think they make them and it’s coming from another country.

8 Likes

thank you darling i’ll check that out

5 Likes

@kira-marie no problem. I hope it works out for you too! Mine hasn’t shipped yet, I just checked the tracking on it.

4 Likes

I love all the prayers that are always available! I really felt connected to Lady Brighid, and Hestia! I can feel the protective shield in my life today. Today I listened to a devotional and prayed. I took a step further and started an offering of bread and asked for her healing in my life.
Spirit of love watch over me
Spirit of rain heal me
Spirit of Brighid watch over
Spirit of love come over me!
I want to know you better!!
Jeannie
Blessed be

12 Likes

That’s beautiful @Jeannie1! I hope you wrote that down in your BOS so you won’t forget it. Well done, and thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

ThanksKasie it just popped in my head that’s a great idea!:star_struck:

9 Likes

Kassie,
Thank you :blush: Kassie your very sweet! I appreciate Your admiration. When you, form your thoughts for poetry, how do you get your mind in that headspace?Your pretty good, I want to understand the ways to creative writing. I took some classes in school and maybe I should look into my old papers and look. Thanks again for the compliment.
Jeannie

8 Likes