šŸ§š Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Fairies & Fae

Merry meet!

Thank you once again to all those who joined in for last weekā€™s Weekly Witchy Challenge - Manifestation :genie_lamp:

After working on wishes last week, weā€™re getting a bit whimsical- hold onto your names, as weā€™re exploring a magickal creature with a curious reputation :fairy:

The theme for this weekā€™s challenge isā€¦

Fairies Fae Witch Challenge

:mushroom: :deciduous_tree: Fairies & Fae :fairy: :sparkles:

From tricksters of lore to protectors of the woods, winged pixiekind to animal-folk and more- when it comes to the illusive and mysterious world of ā€œfairiesā€, itā€™s hard to set a clear definition!

The evolution of fairies over the course of the years sees us traveling through gnomes, imps, elves, changelings, and the sort to what we now see as nature spirits in general. Some fairies were worshipped as deities while others were simply placated to keep them happy in order to prevent mischief. Today, the word fairy is used to encompass many different types of beings.

From Spells8: Types of Fairies

That being said, it is interesting to note that while ā€œfairyā€ may refer to a wide menagerie of nature-related spirits from around the world, the term ā€œFaeā€ is generally a category of fairy specific to Celtic lore. The Fae have their own rich history and legends unique to their associated culture(s).

Whatever type of fairies or Fae are of interest or a source of inspiration for you, itā€™s time to give them some attention this week! :sparkles:

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

This weekā€™s challenge is all about Fairies and Fae - how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

So are you ready? Because itā€™sā€¦

CHALLENGE TIME!

:bell:

A friendly reminder before beginning that you do not have to believe in fairies in order to participate in this challenge. To some, their role is as a source of inspiration or interesting lore. However, Fairies/Fae/nature spirits are a part of some peopleā€™s practices, so regardless of your personal beliefs, please remember to be respectful with your replies- thank you! :heart:

Picture from Canva

STEP 1 : Magickal Creatures: Fairies & Fae :fairy:

This challenge is all about fairies and Fae - but as always, how you choose to take on this theme is up to you!

Still not sure where to begin? To help you get started, here are a few ways in which a witch might approach this challenge.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Into the Lore! :open_book:

Do you know a good story or legend about fairy-kind? Perhaps thereā€™s a particular type of fairy that interests you that youā€™d like to learn more about. Maybe you wish to know about The Fair Folk, or explore the differences between fairies around the world. Or perhaps youā€™re new to fairies and want to start with some general knowledge!

Research and learning something new are always great ways to tackle a challenge theme- feel free to share what you learned as your entry this week :books:

Types-of-Fairies-Witchcraft-360x240
Types of Fairies and Fairy Facts for Witches

Aine-Goddess-of-Fairies-360x240
Ɓine: The Goddess of Fairies

Fairy-Queens-min-360x240
Fairy Queen Folklore: The Fairy Queen Archetype

Additional discussions and resources:

Fairy Crafts & Working With Fairies :bowl_with_spoon:

From casting fairy-inspired spells to leaving offerings for fairy-folk in your gardens, there are many ways to welcome them into your practice, if you so choose!

Just be mindful of who (and what!) you are working with- ā€œfairyā€ is a vast term, and some fairy-kind have reputations for being tricksters. Work mindfully and stay safe!

ā†’ Working With The Fae
ā†’ 8 Rules for Working with the Fae
ā†’ Magical Fairy Garden
ā†’ Habitat for the Fae-ity
ā†’ DIY Magic Fairy Door
ā†’ My Fairy Door

Fairy Magick :magic_wand:

From spells that call upon friendly Fae to spellwork inspired by the abilities of fairies of legend, consider casting some fairy magick as your entry this week!

Glamour-Magic-Spell-360x240
Glamour Spell for Beauty and Attraction

ā†’ Fae Potions - Three Recipes
ā†’ Faerie Magic Recomendations
ā†’ Faery Realm World
ā†’ Glamour Dressing Confidence Candle Magick Ritual
ā†’ Colors and Glamor Magic

ā€¦ And More! :raised_hands:

The suggestions above are just a few ideas to help kickstart your creativity- if you feel called to explore fairies and Fae in another way, please feel free to do so! :blush:

As always, all witches are encouraged to embrace their own unique practice with how they explore the challenge theme :star2:

Video by @Silverbear shared in Fae Potion - Three Recipes

STEP 2 : Share Your Experience :writing_hand:

Click here for a note about challenge inclusivity

Everyone is welcome to join the challenge by practicing magick in line with the current theme. For lurkers and those who donā€™t feel comfortable sharing, it is absolutely okay to follow along with the challenge but keep your entry personal. Feel free to join in spirit and do what feels most comfortable for you! :blush:

That being said, please know that if you would like to receive a prize and a public shout-out, it is required that you share your experience.

Getting Your Credit :white_check_mark:

In order for your entry to be counted, all you have to do is write/share about your experience and label it as your challenge entry. There is a lot of chatting here (which is awesome- chatting and discussion are very welcome!) so please clearly write that it is your entry so I know to count it! :pray:

Where Should I Share My Entry? :thinking:

Click here to learn where to share your challenge entry

You are welcome to post it right here- just click ā€œreplyā€ :repeat: to this post and write your experience in the text box that pops up!

Alternatively, you could create a new post in the forum (this is good for when you have a lot to share and/or would like to discuss aspects of your entry not related to the current theme)

Note : If you do choose to create a new thread, please add the ā€œchallenge-entryā€ tag and/or add a hyperlink back to this post so that it can be easily found- thank you! :bowing_woman:

Deadline :spiral_calendar:

:exclamation: This challenge will close in 6 DAYS :exclamation:

To join in, please share your experience by:

Tuesday, January 16 at 7:00 AM EDT (Eastern US Time)
2024-01-16T12:00:00Z

(Note that the time zone is ET- if you donā€™t see your time displayed above, you can use this time zone calculator to check for your time zone!)

Prizes :gift:

For their efforts, all participants will receive a special shout-out and a small prize! :gift:

Acknowledgments will be given in a Props and Presents Post that will appear in the forums on Tuesday.

After the challenge closes, you are still very welcome to post but please be aware that no additional prizes will be given. This discussion will remain open for about a week after the challenge finishes.

:gift_heart: :gift: :gift_heart:

From Spells8: Protective Spirits of the Hearth

A warm reminder that the challenges are designed to be very open- everyone is encouraged to participate in a way that honors and reflects their unique practice :open_book:

If you have any doubts about if something is acceptable to post or say, please double-check with the Forum FAQ and/or reach out to your friendly Moderator Team.

And for those new to challenges- welcome! :heart: Know that the goal of these activities is to help you further diversify and strengthen your abilities and to bring together the Spells8 forum family to inspire and support one another in creative ways :hugs:

Nymphs-and-Fairies
From Spells8: Types of Fairies: Nymphs of Ancient Greece

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Be cautious who you meet when out
For there are many folk about.
They may not be what they appear
But approach them not with hate nor fear
Meet your neighbors with respect and care
And you may befriend the folk so fair.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Blessed Be! :fairy::sparkles:

30 Likes

Oh my. Fun fun fun, for the Fae. Weā€™re going to wake them all up and theyā€™re going to create alot of mischief :rofl:. Love this one. Extra wards are going up :green_heart::partying_face:

19 Likes

Interesting. interesting. I might just do some research for this one. I honestly donā€™t know a whole lot about the fae, Iā€™ve steered clear based on what little I know. But perhaps I should learn more. Thanks for the resources @BryWisteria. Itā€™s always a good thing to learn! :fairy:t3:
I think I may be less chaos & mischief - adjacent than @tracyS :smile:

18 Likes

Challenge Entry - Fairies & Fae

I do not work with Fairies or the Fae. Growing up with an English/Irish/German mother, I remember hearing many fairy tales and myths at bedtime. One of my favorite books of my motherā€™s was Faeries.

I donā€™t know how many time I read it, learning about Fae.

I do know I asked her many many time if I could have the book, to no avail.

I had to buy my own copy as an adult. I understand some things are precious and hard to let go.

The other book I own and adore is Lady Cottingtonā€™s Pressed Fairy Book

(goodness, I had no idea how much my edition is selling for now :astonished: )
Itā€™s a fun book about a girl who catches fairies within the pages of a book. Most of the artwork has cartoon nudity (after all most fae donā€™t wear clothes!!) so I will only include one photo and the informational story.

I grew up being wary of the tricksy fae and the hazards of fairy circles. Something I admit I still feel as an adult. :fairy:

23 Likes

@Artemisia Oh I love this. So gorgeous :sparkling_heart:

18 Likes

Thank you! I had to stop myself from adding too many photos! :laughing: There are so many that I love!

18 Likes

yeihhh so fun!! Love fairies and needed this type of activity!!
Thanks

15 Likes

Letā€™s use Lokiā€™s help to do that lol

16 Likes

Ooo yes yes yes. This is a subject that Iā€™ve been wanting to dive into. Hopefully Iā€™ll be able to with everything else going on but if not Iā€™ll at least have a good source to come back to. I am so excited :woman_cartwheeling:t2: :sparkles:

17 Likes

Yay! This is going to be a fun one!

17 Likes

I donā€™t think the Fae agree, they can cause chaos without his help :rofl:, lol, if theyā€™re reading this, things are going to start to go missing, better leave an offering now :partying_face: This could be a disastrous challenge oh my, having two chaos energies in the house :person_facepalming::rofl:

19 Likes

I have always felt I was a fairy in one of my many past lives Iā€™m so glad I finally joined SPELLS8 past the trial period itā€™s so comfortable to be you herein the community and this is an exciting challenge. Iā€™m excited to share and also read all of the members challenge responses as well. Ase to all and make sure to manifest manifest manifest today. I manifested my little sister a new vehicle yesterday so although I donā€™t personally take any credit I spoke it in power although she had doubts and we arrived close to closing and she still left in the vehicle she wanted same night. She deserves it and I just believe we should all walk in the true essence and power we are born with.

17 Likes

CHALLENGE ENTRY

I donā€™t work with the Fae. But this challenge made me realise how much the Fae may be in my life.

I love Tink, since I was a child, Peter Pan was and is a favourite (I still love Tink :grin:)
As a child I believed in fairies. I donā€™t know if fairies are different from Fae in the world of language, I think not. But in my world, they were. Fairies were more like the flower fairies, or Disney fairies

Fae were more sinister, taller, fiercer. I know thatā€™s not the case now, as it means the same, but still in Urban fantasy, Fae still has that scary connotation to it, compared to the Victorian concept of a fairy being a winged pixie.

I have a fairy temple in my back garden

Here I leave offerings, flowers, fruit, leaves natural stuff, where I thank the earth for the offering, then leave it with the Fae. I donā€™t ask for anything, I donā€™t thank them for anything (apparently this makes them feel obligated). I acknowledge them and say hi, and wish them a good day, thatā€™s all. I have a good Fae book which Iā€™ve yet to fully read.

Fae are very prominent here in the West Country of England, I was raised on stories of them. Will I ever work with them? Wonā€™t say never, cuz maybe one day I may have to. But theyā€™re here, in my home. They donā€™t cause any trouble, and really they were here first. So we have peace and a little bit of fairy dust.

Magic :sparkling_heart:

19 Likes

Challenge Entry

Oh I love this, I have never worked with fairies before but I do have an alter for when I do more research. I have always loved the mystery behind them and will now do some reading. I do all natural offerings, I painted a stone and left seashells. once I have my bedroom redone properly I will create a space for the fairies. For now i hope the fairies will love my alter.

I also have a necklace with a fairy charm but it broke I still have the charm I think Iā€™ll get another chain and leave it on my alter aswell.

As a kid I always drew pictures that involved fairies or faeries as i used to spell it but never knew why I was so drawn to them. Always the dark faeries I would draw. Will need to look into that more also unless someone can tell me the difference. :woman_fairy:

I love this I use it on as a wallpaper on my phone.

19 Likes

I have some dried out flowers that I bought from
Amazon a while ago, but besides for offerings, I wasnā€™t sure what to do with them. Maybe Iā€™ll
make a fairy/fae bottle?

16 Likes

This is my challenge entry!

So thanks to this challenge I have discovered why my garden keeps failing the last few years! My daughter and I pick a pot every year around planting season and make a fairy garden, itā€™s become a fun tradition. However, mistakes were made! We started this before I got back to witchcraft and didnt know what we were doingšŸ˜…. Going forward I plan on doing as much research as I can before planting season so I know the right way!

Ps. Any book recommendations to help me fix my blunder are much appreciated!

17 Likes

@Kyrstyn
This book may help you.

19 Likes

Challenge entry pt2

Iā€™m also from Scotland so fairies are a big thing here, there is a place not far from me called the fairy pools. Iā€™ve never been but maybe I should since it looks beautiful. Itā€™s in the Isle of Skye. There is more than one fairy pool.

There is also the fairy glen. Which is in the last picture.

Oh I must not forget the fairy bridge. I think I need to make a wee trip to visit these places. Esp since there too far away from me.

Credit note pics are from Google as I just typed in first pools and took a screen shot of the first few pics.

21 Likes

Challenge Entry
Fairies and elves
They remind me of the fairy tales I used to tell my children when they were littleā€¦
there is a beautiful greek song the lyrics are like thisā€¦
Fairy manifested on an empty cobblestone
Sun gold on the eyelids and silver on the neck
She dives naked in the sea and runs in the rivers
She has been baptized a thousand times, but she has no name.

How our souls and lives travel, tell me
On the banks of the Acheron and in the breaths of the wind.

What fate do the waters bring, what secrets are hidden
Which sea holds them in your arms.

At night you sneak up and enter my dreams
Red lips kiss me and paint mine
And when you come out of the hill again, I will reward you
Give me your lips to drink the time to kill
ā€‹https://youtu.be/rdZPIu10Q_w?si=AfqaAh-a0HSp8NnP

photo pinterest

19 Likes

Challenge Entry:

I decided to learn more specifically about Basque fairies called Laminak. I am Basque and am constantly searching for more information online and through books on Basque mythology and history, so this challenge was a good chance for me to do some research.

From Basque Legends: IV.--Basa-Jaun, Basa-Andre, and LamiƱak: Introduction
The LamiƱak are true fairies, and do not differ more from the general run of Keltic fairies than the Scotch, Irish, Welsh, and Cornish fairies do from each other. In fact, the legends are often identical. The LamiƱak were described to us by one who evidently believed in, and dreaded them, as little people who lived underground. Another informant stated that they were little people who came down the chimney. They long to get possession of human beings, and change and carry off infants unbaptized, but they do not seem to injure them otherwise. They bring good luck to the houses which they frequent; they are fond of cleanliness, but always speak and give their orders in words exactly the opposite of their meaning. In common with Basa-Jaun and Basa-Andre they hate church bells, and though not actively hostile to Christianity, are driven away as it advances. They were formerly great builders of bridges, and even of churches, but were usually defrauded of their wage, which was to have been power over some human soul at the completion of the contract. Fairiesā€™ wells and fountains are common in the Landes and neighbouring Gascon provinces, but we know of none in the Pays Basque. We failed distinctly to make out what are the ā€œfairiesā€™ holes (LamiƱa-ziloak),ā€ spoken of in the Heren-Suge tale; as far as we could gather from the narrator they are simply bare places in hedges, when covered by the web of the gossamer spider. We know of no dances by moonlight on fairy rings of green herbage; but if the reader will carefully eliminate from his memory the rare fancies of Shakespeare and Ben Jonson about Puck, Oberon, and Titania, he will find little otherwise to differentiate between the Basque LamiƱak and the fairies of Sir Walter Scott, of Campbell, and of Crokerā€™s ā€œIrish Legends.ā€

from Wikimedia Commons

In the Wikipedia article (see below) on Lamia their description is slightly different. And shows them more as a river-based mermaid, rather than a fairy.

The lamia (or lamina) (plural: lamiak or laminak) is a siren or nereid-like creature in [Basque mythology] Lamiak are typically portrayed as living in and around rivers. They are depicted as beautiful, long-haired women with webbed duck feet, usually found at the river shore brushing their hair with a golden comb and seducing men.

Mythology in coastal areas includes itsaslamiak, a variety of lamiak who live in the sea and have fish-like tails, similar to a mermaid.

Beliefs

In Basque mythology, lamiak are depicted as generous, aiding those who give them presents by helping them at work. For example, if a farmer were to leave food for them at the river shore, they would eat it at night and in exchange finish ploughing his field. In some places, bridges were believed to have been built at night by lamiak:

In other myths, lamiak must leave if the bridge that they were building at night was left unfinished at cockcrow. People believed that lamiak had left a river if a stone in the bridge was missing. Other beliefs claim that most lamiak disappeared when men built small churches in the forest.

Lamiak are also believed to be found on the other side of rainbows, where they are combing their hair. It is said that when the sunlight strikes their hair, the rainbow opens.

Mythology also occasionally describes male lamiak. In those stories, they are described as strong and are attributed with the creation of dolmens at night. It is also said that they can enter a house at night when its inhabitants are sleeping. They are given different names: Maideak, Mairiak, Mairuak, Intxixuak (in Oiartzun, Gipuzkoa), Saindi Maidi (in Lower Navarre).

from Buberā€™s Basque Page

More information on Lamiak:
BASQUE FACT OF THE WEEK: LAMIAK, THE BASQUE MERMAIDS AND NYMPHS
Mermaids with Dangerous Combs! Lamiak con Peines Peligrosos

I think fairies, laminak/lamia are to be respected. One could leave offerings or gifts for them, but you should be careful to not take a gift from them without devastating consequences. Whatever you do, donā€™t touch her golden comb! They can also be tricky like entering your house at night or taking children away to the forest!

18 Likes