Moon Worship 🌘 The Mother of Universal Protection

We’ve been learning about Selene, the Greek Goddess of the Moon. But I believe Moon worship is truly universal :full_moon: no matter what culture or location.

One of the most prominent examples of lunar worship is the symbolism of the Crescent Moon in Turkic and Arab culture. For this week’s Witchy Challenge, I decided to share some information about lunar traditions around the world.

The Turks and the Crescent Moon :crescent_moon:

Many Islamic nations have a crescent moon on their flags, such as: Turkey, Uzbekistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Pakistan, Singapore, Mauritania, Malaysia, Maldives, Comoros, Azerbaijan and Algeria.

The Byzantines were the first to use the crescent moon a symbol of protection and to include it in their flags. Their worship of the moon has its origin amid the expansion and conquest by Christian forces. ✞

The legend tells that Philip II of Macedon was about to invade the city of Byzantium for its strategic location. He opted for a night assault, which would allow him to besiege the city without being seen. :crossed_swords:

Philip waited for a suitable night and quietly led his army towards the walls of the city. As soon as their climb began, the clouds dispersed in the sky and a crescent moon suddenly shone, exposing their strategy. :waning_crescent_moon:

As thanks and in commemoration of that day, the Moon became the emblem of the city. Since then there was no ornament, jewel or art in Byzantium that did not bear the Moon as a distinctive sign.

Later, when the Ottoman Turks took over the city, they were fascinated by its elegance. Due to their eternal struggle against the Christians, upon learning of the legend, they incorporated the Moon into their flag and endowed it with magical powers and moral strength. For them, the Moon would shine again whenever they were in danger and its strength would revitalize them.

Moon flag

Moon Worship in Islam :star_and_crescent:

When Islam emerged in the Arab peninsula, it came at a time where many of the desert trade routes were traveled by night because during the day the heat would reach unbearable heights. :dromedary_camel: The moon’s light was enough to help them navigate, and these caravan leaders relied on the moon to tell them what day of the month was and gave them directions.

The concept of Moon Water may have its origins in certain Islamic rituals that revolve around Moon worship. To absorb lunar energy through water, they would fill a silver container (a metal symbolic of the moon) with water where the full Moon would be reflected.

Some historians also have argued that “Allah” was the name of a moon god in pre-Islamic Arabic mythology. The use of a lunar calendar and the prevalence of crescent moon imagery in Islam is said by some to be the origin of this hypothesis. - Source

Other Lunar Deities :crescent_moon:

Khonsu: Egyptian god of the Moon
Artemis: Greek goddess of the Moon
Diana: Roman goddess of the Moon
Luna: Roman embodiment of the Moon
Máni: Norse personification of the Moon
Wiccan Goddess: Triple goddess of the Moon
Tsukuyomi: Japanese moon god
Coyolxauhqui: Aztec goddess of the Moon
Mama Killa: Incan goddess of the Moon
Chandra: Lunar deity in Hinduism
Chang’e: Chinese goddess of the Moon

10 Likes

I did not know the back story on the flags and the moon. Thank you for your post! Flags have always interested me, how they were thought of and created. I just began to challenge myself to learn something different everyday.

6 Likes

I had no idea that’s why the moons were incorporated into the flags. That was a lot of great information! Great job with your research and presentation. I loved reading about them!

5 Likes

Wow. I didn’t know the history behind the flags and Islam. That was a great bit of teaching you did there! :grin:

5 Likes

This is so interesting! :star_struck: The moon must truly be very important in these cultures for them to honor it on their country flags :crescent_moon: This was a great read- I love learning new cultural facts, especially when they seem to bring everyone in the world closer together! I think just about all religions and cultures around the world revere the moon in some form :pray::full_moon:

A delight to read- thank you so much for sharing, @Francisco! :sparkles:

6 Likes

@Francisco, thank you for sharing! I did not know that history of it! Great to know as why it became part of their emblem.

5 Likes

Great read :blush: thank you for sharing

6 Likes

We sat and stared at the Full Moon with my wife last night :full_moon: and I was telling her all of this that I researched. She was super interested! She normally doesn’t connect with anything spiritual… But the astronomy-side of it gets to her!

I also used an app on my phone (I think SkyView Free) to find some constellations and we had lots of fun. I also wrote a post about constellations and the zodiac a while back which came in handy!

I’m glad everyone found it useful! I hope you’ll remember these stories and legends when you see the moon, and will think of all the times people have looked at the same moon for so many different reasons…!

8 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing, Francisco :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You’re welcome! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :waning_crescent_moon:

6 Likes