The Draconic Code of Honor

During my research on dragons and how to incorporate them into my Craft, I stumbled across the online Clan of the Dragon. This clan, started by a group of friends who identified as pagans and Wiccans, were interested in incorporating draconic energies into their Craft, as I am.

The Clan of the Dragon website banner by J’Karrah EbonDragon

One of the first things I read about them was The Draconic Code of Honor. In essence,

The Clan of the Dragon’s Code of Honor, which is often seen online posted as the “Draconic Code of Honor” was originally written in 1994 by J’Karrah EbonDragon for a group of friends who were interested in Dragons. As this group of friends were also Pagans and Wiccans, they also were interested in incorporating "draconic" energies into their magical work. This group became known as the “Clan of the Dragon” and they called their style of working the Draconic Tradition. At the time, it was considered to be a unique name for their tradition, but now there are many groups using this term to describe their practice. We’ll never know which group used the term first and, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t really matter.

So this Code of Honor was originally created to fit this group of friends. It was adapted from other traditional code(s) of honour used within the magical community at that time, but obviously reworded to fit the needs of this particular Clan.

It originally was posted online as 20 lines, and naturally was copied and reposted in various places online, usually without credit or context. It was adopted by the The New Dawn Dragon Magick Clan, which later became the Drachen Magie Vermachtnis Clan, and in order to join this Clan as a member, you were required to have an understanding of the Code of Honor and be able to explain how it related into their own life. It was also adopted by Kagiri Ushumgal and used as their Code of Ethics.

Draconic Code of Honor as posted on Drachen Magie Vermachtnis

Searching online, the Code of Honor is often posted after the words:

“The Draconic Tradition has a Code of Honor that is followed by all of its practitioners. The Code is followed in magickal workings and in everyday life. There are times when we can’t follow the Codes to the exact word, but to completely ignore them would be foolish. Dragons will not work with a practitioner that ignores them. But one who follows the Codes to the best of their ability earns the respect of the Dragons and will have no problem working with them.

(As seen on PaganSpace.net)

Which is a much extended version of J’Karrah’s explanation:

This is the Code followed by all followers of the Draconic Tradition to the best of their abilities.

(From ebon-dragon.com)

Unfortunately this leads some newcomers to the Dragon’s Path believing that they HAVE to follow this code in order to work with dragons. However, unless you are a member of The Clan of the Dragon, for which it was written, or one of the Draconic Traditions that has also adopted this Code, you do not need to follow it. I have seen more than a few people question the fact it keeps referring to “your Clan”, leading them to assume you need a clan to practice dragon magick, but once the history of this particular Code of Honor is explained, the way it’s written makes more sense.

In my opinion, it is a nice set of guidelines, and I do keep a copy of the updated Code of Honor from when it was revised in 2003, in my Book of Dragon along with the rest of my Clan of the Dragon writings. But as I am not a member of the Clan of the Dragon, and no longer a member of one of the Draconic Traditions that also use this Code, I do not feel bound to follow it verbatim.

There are various other sets of codes, guidelines, creeds, etc within the dragon magick community, which again are designed for the path, or group of practitioners, for which they have been written. For example, if you are following Conway’s Teachings of the Five Inner Rings, you’ll be expected to adhere to the Dragon Ring Code and her Dragon Ethics. If you are following the Draig Sidhe Path, you’ll be expected to follow the Draig Sidhe Creed and The Witch’s Wyrd. However, if you are a solitary dragon magick practitioner, then you can create your own code of honour, or ethics, or your own creed to follow if that is your wish. By all means take inspiration from the publicly accessible writings available, but you can write something personal for yourself and your own path.

Source:
The Clan of the Dragon’s Draconic Code of Honor

9 Likes

I haven’t read them but I know the late Deanna D.J. Conway published a series of books on the topic such as Mystical Dragon Magick: Teachings of the Five Inner Rings

Also, for anyone who is interested, there’s a Youtuber who has an entire playlist on Dragon Magick including How to contact your Dragon Guardian and Draconic Ethics.

Thank you, Stephanie! This is such a great thing to share with us and a very informative post on Draconian Magick. :dragon:

7 Likes

This is amazing! :star_struck: Such a delight to learn about a new branch of magick- and I must admit that I really like the sound of Draconian. I’ve always been fascinated with dragons and incorporating them into my practice is a thrilling idea to me :dragon: :sparkles:

Thanks so much for sharing, @Kasandra! :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you for the information on Dragons & the Draconic Code! Very interesting @Kasandra

6 Likes

@Kasandra:
Very interesting article.
According to Chinese flolkore, dragon represent Aries, the pusher!:smiley:
Was born in the wood dragon year, the less aggressive of all dragons.

6 Likes

Thanks Stephany, nice find. :wink:

6 Likes