What is witchcraft?

Beyond all the layers of traditions, cultures and specializations that we hear about and live out as Witches, at its core, distilled to its most simplest definition Witchcraft is a spirituality of connection.

In truth spirituality in general is about connection, but when I link that specifically to Witchcraft, what I’m referring to is that the very nature of a Witch’s mode of interacting with existence is to connect to both the world of the seen and the unseen . In this sense, connection also is very intimately woven with relationship, but we’ll get into that at another time!

This is about our growing capacity to sense and read the energy waves of a space, botanicals, land, entities that have passed or have always lived in the beyond. It’s about the connection we refine over time with the rhythms of natural life, the dynamic between souls, the circuits of collective unconscious wisdom passed along the slipstreams of time.

It’s in the dancing with these points of connection that we weave our magic, our healing and the worlds we spin when we speak them out loud for all universe to hear.

11 Likes

Beautifully stated! I love that view of Witchcraft because it evokes the unseen and ethereal which is hard to describe. If you allow me, I’d like to add my vision and interpretation of “witchcraft” as something also more tangible.

In my first language, Spanish :argentina: ! witchcraft is sometimes translated as hechicería, which could also be “sorcery”. Another more literal translation would be “fetishery”. In this sense, witchcraft is the “Craft of fetishes”. Originally an adjective meaning ‘made by art’.

I believe the root of all witchcraft is exploring our fetishes, our desires, and trying to make them real (manifest them). The obvious example is the stereotypical voodoo doll, but there are many ways to do so. We come up with spells and charms, we draw or paint (think of cave paintings). And all along the process is to visualize something and then craft it to make it real.

7 Likes

I would like to add that Witchcraft, today, should be all of that, and also about Community. About gaining wisdom (through self-empowerment) but also about sharing that wisdom. Otherwise what good is it?

Witchcraft can be used in many ways but in my opinion it’s best when used to bring light, peace, love, and to heal and restore the world. :pray:

7 Likes