What kind of animal is this?

Does anyone know what this lovely bird is ?

6 Likes

I think it might be a pale vented dove? Definitely a dove of some kind.

5 Likes

Absolutely beautiful animal, close, but not quite.

3 Likes

What area is it from? That may help us narrow it down.

4 Likes

North America

3 Likes

Is it a Grey-Headed Dove?

4 Likes

Grey headed do e or the turtle dove!! I have a friend with doves :dove: and I have a little family that visits me in the morning. :relaxed:

3 Likes

Sorry, it’s not.

3 Likes

Looking at this picture again, is this a taxidermy mount? I can’t seem to find any doves native to N. America that look like it.

4 Likes

I think it’s a dove, it does look like a male Morning Dove, sometimes the light will hit it just right and it looks so beautifully pink and fluffy. :cupid::cupid:

4 Likes

You all come up with great guesses and soooo very close.
It’s actually a pigeon, I really dug for this so forgive me if it was unfair.
The passenger pigeon or wild pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius) is an extinct species of pigeon that was endemic to North America. Its common name is derived from the French word passager, meaning “passing by”, due to the migratory habits of the species. The scientific name also refers to its migratory characteristics. 1914 marked the 100th anniversary of the passenger pigeon’s extinction.

By Barry Yeoman

May-June 2014
“De-extinction [can] get the public interested in conservation in a way that the last 40 years of doom and gloom has beaten out of them,” autobon society

PASSENGER PIGEON PROJECT

The Great Passenger Pigeon Comeback began in 2012 with a central paradigm: de-extinction needed a model candidate. The goal of de-extinction for us, quite literally is revive and restore, and so the pilot project needed to be one that would have a chance of successfully returning the species to the wild. By means of using a hibred bird.

I say, just because you can do a thing, should you do a thing? -Jurassic Park

5 Likes

What’s funny is’ my son, When he was little, called every bird he saw a pigeon’ lol (we have a lot of pigeons in the backyard especially in the late summer early fall) so I instinctively said aloud “it’s a pigeon cuz it has wings” thinking back when he was young’ lol …. And hey he woulda been right :rofl::cupid:
But he’s 13 now’ and I’m not okay with it y’all ’ :confused::pleading_face:

7 Likes