What Neuroscience Can Learn from Meditation

From SciShow Psych on YouTube,

Meditation methods and the scientific method are teaming up to explore some of the deepest questions about our existence and human nature.

I know. I know. I am addicted to YouTube. :sweat_smile: At least I look for reputable sources, right? Their sources are listed in the video description. While only 6.5 minutes, I had to watch this one twice and I will be reading the sources for days.

What Neuroscience Can Learn from Meditation

Editing this to add: if you want to learn more about meditation, Meganā€™s post is a great start.

7 Likes

I get sucked in to youtube sometimes tooā€¦:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Iā€™m bookmarking this to watch tomorrow, thanks for sharing.
Hope youā€™re well and have plans for a great weekend.
Blessed Be,

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing! This is really useful because it helps us see and understand why meditation has such a big, important role in our practice.

I wanted to make a summary for those who donā€™t have time to watch it:

• Skilled meditators experience ā€œoneness with the universeā€, or non-duality which is a phenomenon observable in brain activity scans. This happens because, during meditation, two networks that are typically active at different times are both active at once. One of them deals with the external world, and the other with the internal (self-identity).

• Spontaneous thoughts and eureka moments (e.g. in the shower) can be replicated during focused meditation (focusing on one thing alone). Brain activity slows down and thereā€™s more activity in one specific region linked to planning and remembering, and assimilating ideas.

• Loving-kindness meditations can activate parts of the brain that have to do with empathy. According to the video, empathy is a skill that can be trained, honed, and improved through meditation.

6 Likes

I love SciShow Psych. My hubby and I spend far too much of our time watching videos on YouTubeā€¦

7 Likes

Well, this seems like a nice channel to subscribe to. I enjoy both neuroscience and meditation. Thanks for the link :link:

5 Likes

Very true, I wanted to quote you but itā€™s all so very true!!!

5 Likes