Witch Bottles - a little of this and that

What is a witch bottle?

A witch bottle is a type of amulet that was traditionally used for protection against evil spirits. It is typically a small bottle that is filled with a variety of items such as nails, hair, urine, or blood. The witch bottle would then be buried near the home or hidden in a place where it would not be found.

The belief in the power of witch bottles dates back to the 16th century. They were particularly popular in England and Europe, but were also used in other parts of the world.

The use of witch bottles declined during the 17th and 18th centuries, but they experienced a resurgence in popularity during the Victorian era. Today, witch bottles are becoming more and more popular and are used today in much the same way they were back in the “old-days”.

A brief history of witch bottles.

A witch bottle is a type of protective talisman that has been used for centuries. It is said to ward off evil and can be used to protect your home, property, or even your person. The earliest known witch bottles were found in England and date back to the 16th century.

Witch bottles were traditionally made by filling a glass bottle with nails, hair, urine, or other items that were thought to repel evil. The bottle would then be buried near the threshold of the home or property to be protected. Some bottles were even hidden in the walls or under the floorboards.

Today, witch bottles are still made and used for protection. They can be filled with anything that has personal meaning to you, such as herbs, stones, or jewelry. Many people also add a charm or rune to their bottle for extra protection.

While witch bottles offer protection from negative energy, it is important to remember that they are not a substitute for common sense and caution. They should be used as part of a holistic approach to safety and security.

What are they used for?

When it comes to witch bottles, there are a few different ways they can be used. The most popular way to use a witch bottle is for protection. This could be protection from evil spirits, bad luck, or negative energy in general. If you feel like you need a little extra protection in your life, then a witch bottle could be just what you need.

Another way to use a witch bottle is for healing. This could be physical healing or emotional healing. If you are dealing with something difficult in your life, making a witch bottle and filling it with healing energy could help you to start feeling better.

Lastly, witch bottles can also be used for manifesting. If you have something that you really want, you can put your Intentions into a witch bottle and let the Universe work its magick.

There are endless ways to use witch bottles, so get creative and see what works for you. Witch bottles are a powerful tool that can really help to improve your life in a number of different ways.

How to make your own witch bottle for protection.

A witch bottle is a very old method of protection against evil. It is a container, usually a glass jar or bottle, that is filled with various items that are believed to be protective. These items can vary, but often include things like urine, hair, blood, nails, and even spiders.

The idea behind a witch bottle is that the evil intent of someone trying to harm you will be foiled by the objects inside the bottle. The belief is that the evil will become tangled up in the objects and hence, be rendered powerless.

Making your own “authentic” witch bottle is actually quite simple. You will need a glass container, some urine, some of your own hair, and either your own blood or nails…or any other sharp objects.

Fill the glass container about halfway with urine. Add in a few strands of your own hair, and then either your own blood or nails…you can add any other items in there that call to you. Seal the container tightly and then bury it somewhere on your property.

(I personally never bury this type of item outside as the items inside the bottle could potentially hurt our local wildlife & as a green witch I like to be mindful of these things)

It is said that as long as the witch bottle remains buried and undisturbed, your home will be protected from evil.

What do you need?

A witch bottle is a talisman used for whatever intention you are working on. They can be made using a variety of items, but there are a few things you will need to get started.

First, you will need a clean glass bottle with a tight-fitting lid. You can use any size or type of bottle you like, but it should be large enough to add all of the ingredients you will be using.

Next, you will need to gather your ingredients. These can include items like herbs, roots, stones, and feathers. It is up to you what ingredients you use, and you can tailor them to your specific needs. However, there are a few ingredients that are commonly used in witch bottles.

One of the most important ingredients is garlic. Garlic is a powerful protective herb that has been used for centuries to ward off evil. It is said to repel negativity and promote healing.

Another common ingredient is salt. Salt is a Purifier and is often used in spell work to cleanse and protect. It is also used to absorb negative energy.

You can also add a petition inside the bottle or draw magickal symbols on a piece of paper and add it to your jar as well.

Once you have gathered all of your ingredients, it is time to put your witch bottle together. Start by adding your salt to the bottom of the bottle. Next, add your garlic cloves. following that, you can add any other ingredients you are using. Add the petition if you have one.

Once all of the ingredients are in the bottle, it is time to seal it. Seal the bottle tightly with the lid, making sure that it is secure.

Now, your witch bottle is ready to use. Hang it in your home, or keep it in a safe place. Its energies will work to protect you from harm and negative energy.

The benefits of having a witch bottle.

There are many benefits to having a witch bottle. A witch bottle can help to protect you from negative energy, to cleanse your home of negative energy, and to draw in positive energy.

A witch bottle can also be used to help you focus your intention and to amplify your magick. When you are making your witch bottle, you can infuse it with your intention. This means that every time you look at your witch bottle or use it in your spells, you will be reminded of your intention. This can help you to stay focused on your goals and to Manifest your desires.

Another benefit of having a witch bottle is that it can act as a powerful talisman. A talisman is an object that is infused with power and used for protection or to bring good luck. When you charge your witch bottle with your intention, you are also charging it with power. This power can then be used to protect you from negativity or to draw positive energy into your life.

So, as you can see, there are many benefits to having a witch bottle. If you are looking for protection, to cleanse your home, or to amplify your magick, then a witch bottle is the perfect tool for you.

19 Likes

Witch bottle wisdom from the Queen of witch bottles herself- this is a gift! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you so much for sharing the information and crafting tips, @SilverBear :heart::jar: :sparkles:

Blessed be!

8 Likes

Thank you :pray: @SilverBear this is indeed a lovely gift! :gift:

8 Likes

This is super useful. I have one question. Is this only for protecting house, or can this be carried on one’s persona as a personal ward?

Many thanks for posting this, and to the lovely people here for recommending this to me!

7 Likes

You can make a witch’s bottle to carry with you, though I would alter the ingredients you include in it. I made a few miniature ones earlier in the year when some family was moving. It was geared toward safe travels, and the one in my purse still keeps me safe while driving here!

→ 'Round the Cauldron on Instagram

11 Likes

@SilverBear I love this :heart::heart_eyes: I have one by my front door!

7 Likes

This has been super interesting and helpful.Thanks for your input, learning so much here! Hope you don’t mid a few more questions:

-Is there anything that could potentially go wrong when making these bottles, for example when melting the candle wax into the bottle, could the energy of a black candle draw potential unwanted/negative energy into fingers instead of the bottle?
-would a white candle be better for protection in the above possible situation?

• How important is it to cast a protective circle when making such a bottle (related to question 1 perhaps).?
  • If one relocates to a new home in a different city, would I be correct to assume that you would dismantle the bottle and make a new one for the new home? If yes, is there a recommended safe way to dismantle/deactivate/discard the old bottle?
6 Likes

Black is not an “evil” color. Black is a great color for banishing & repelling, and it is also great for absorbing. With that said, if you believe something bad will happen - it will. This is what most people who practice don’t seem to realize - when practicing you have to 100% believe in what you are doing. Otherwise it doesn’t work. This comes over time with practice --don’t feel badly if you are not 100% – we call it a practice for a reason. I’ve been practicing for 35 years so when I say something or do something I 100% mean it…I was not always as confident and I screwed up…many times. This is also how we learn. Do not be afraid to experiment and log your outcomes.

White and black are equally good for protection. I prefer black for it though.

**I always cast a circle and call in the 4 elements to watch my back while I perform any ritual. when I am done I release them and thank them for their guidance **

Botanical items can be sent back to mother earth - thank her for recieving. She will cleanse them. Physically and spiritually cleanse the bottle. Start over on a new one. :slight_smile:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

It’s up to you if you cast a circle. That’s your preference. I would recommend cleansing yourself, your space and anything else you may use. I usually just use an incense stick

5 Likes