Yule log, Can it be any log?

I got to thinking what can I be doing for Yule! I know coming December 22 and is going to be the winter solstice. The winter Is at its weakest and the Sun God will be born on the Soltice! The God will become stronger every day till spring!
So I am learning a lot on u-tube and my friend Earnest Cornish did a video Krampus & Yule Traditions || Pagan Happy Hour Ep #7 - YouTube
I like him because like myself I use to be Christian and he has been helping me with my alter! For some people this may be your first Yule like me and you don’t know much about it so I thought this would be a good video for the alter!
I need to get a Yule log 🪵
Where can I get the log?
Any log because I can do that in my back yard! Just wondering if it needs to be specific?
Thanks
Jeannie

13 Likes

You can make a Yule log of any type of wood you choose such as pine, fir, cypress, etc.

There are many ways to do it, as a candle holder, with one candle, two, three, or without them. :candle:

Here’s a video I found on Youtube

Originally the Yule log was an entire tree! :evergreen_tree:

According to Almanac.com, “Families would bring the trunk of the tree inside and stick the big end of it into the fireplace. The Yule log would feed the fire through 12 days.”

13 Likes

Yule logs are great ways to celebrate the holiday and winter solstice! :candle: Francisco shared some wonderful advice for getting and using a log.

If a physical log isn’t an option, know that there is another yule log tradition you could do- an edible one! :yum:

During a time where burning logs indoors was banned in France, to keep the yule log tradition alive French people created yule log cakes- also called Bûche de Noël.

[Picture from the Lovelygreen Yule Log Cake Recipe]

They are very tasty but a bit tricky to make (rolling the cake is a challenge! :laughing:) so you may want to follow a guide video like the one Tasty did to walk you through the steps :scroll:

Happy Yule celebrations! :partying_face::evergreen_tree:

10 Likes

The connections between Yule and Christmas make celebrating Yule an easy thing for most of our Christian friends to understand. It’s the perfect time for them to see our practices, if it is safe to do so.

Can we all agree @BryWisteria won the post of the week with her idea of an edible Yule log followed with a picture and a video? :grin: For some reason it makes me crave Little Debbie’s Swiss Cake Rolls…

I loved @Francisco’s answer but he’s too modest. :sweat_smile: He gives way more information in his post :christmas_tree:How to Celebrate Yule Alone? Ideas+Ritual! @MeganB also has a great resource on Yule, including information on the Yule log, right here.

And don’t forget while celebrating, Francisco shared a Yule playlist :notes: last year.

8 Likes

@Jeannie1 When I clicked on you link it took me to “Pagan Happy Hour”… but it is only 7 am here and tradition dictates 5:00 pm before the alcoholic beverages flow…(unless you are Jimmy Buffett and then it is always 5:00 somewhere) HA! CHAMBORD… its what’s for breakfast!
That said… could you please send me the link to Earnest Cornish?

10 Likes

If you can’t make your own Yule log, store-bought is fine

If you think about it, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls can for sure be Yule logs. They’re shaped just like them!

Yup, it took me to Scarlet Ravenswood, too.

14 Likes

I’ve made my own Yule log before from a piece of reclaimed Ponderosa Pine when I lived in Oregon. I painted it and everything and my boyfriend helped me carve holes in the top so the tealights would fit. We sealed it and everything and now I can use it every year if I want.

13 Likes

That’s beautiful! What a great souvenir from Oregon! :grin:

7 Likes

Next time I am at the grocery store I am buying Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. I just have to hide them from my daughter because she will eat them without me. Even though her rule is that if I have one then she needs to have one too. I’m not allowed to eat them without her. I bet we have glitter sprinkles or shaped ones for the season that we can add to them with some chocolate sauce.

9 Likes

It is such a great souvenir lol it’s in a box in my closet right now because, well, we’re hoping our house closes on the 23rd and I really have nowhere to put it but :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

Travel Witch,
Funny you mentioned it I was researching how to make the Yule 🪵 Log cake! So many ways to put my craft into practice! I am going to try to make this a simple recipe! I heard it’s hard to roll it! I seen this already made at the store! I think it’s more purposeful when making the Cake one self! Thank you :blush:
I just wanted it to be as simple as possible so I’ll take your recipe firsthand!
I love your pick of the Yule log and how it has the corner log sticking out from the side! Gives it more character I think :thinking:
Blessed be
Jeannie

7 Likes

Berta,
I am so sorry about that, I hope this is right! https://youtu.be/6p3rySnEqe4
I just copied the the link
Jeannie

8 Likes

Megan,
I love your CREATIVITY, and this is what I love about the craft! I always can go to my inner child and makes me feel so good inside. I love that warm feeling I get when looking at ones art!
It’s really pretty! I love the colors too!
Jeannie

7 Likes

Yule be satisfied! Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls, sound good I’ll be going to the store too! :laughing: :laughing: Lol
Jeannie

7 Likes

Oh, you tempt, @Berta! Chambord is my favorite splurge! They have raspberry vodka here in Poland and it is excellent, but not quite as luxurious as the French liquer :yum: If you’re pouring, I’ll be right over! :running_woman::joy:

I am cackling over the perfect gift and your BRILLIANT idea, Megan! I never thought of using the swiss rolls- but they do look exactly like mini yule logs! :star_struck:

I googled it out of curiosity to see if it was more than coincidence, but alas- there doesn’t seem to be any solid history to where swiss rolls came from :woman_shrugging:. They come from Europe (though ironically not Switzerland :laughing:) so it could be likely they were directly inspired by the yule log cake! :yum:

Great minds think alike, @Jeannie1! :grin: That sounds like a plan- enjoy your tasty yule log cake :yum:

6 Likes

Oh Jeannie1… isn’t he fun!!! Interesting that he uses"The Witch’s Bible" - I have that book so I have read the information he shares, but it is nice having it in talk form. How generous of him to take the time and effort to create this resource! THANKS @Jeannie1 for the introduction. I feel like brewing a pot of tea and just sitting and watching! I have a feeling that if I ever met him we would have a lot in common.

8 Likes

Honestly, I didn’t think about it either until just then. That’s what I get for being hungry and not being able to eat them :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Berta,
If it weren’t for him I would not be here! He’s really inspiring to me! He’s helped me a lot!
Anyway I hope you enjoyed the video I am going to try to get my alter set up for Yule! Go to the store get Debbie Cakes and get some stuff for a Yule log!
I have a long list already!
Jeannie
Blessed be

6 Likes

@Jeannie1 sounds like a plan! Be safe out there.

6 Likes

That is really beautiful!

8 Likes