A Focus on Pluto - The Dwarf Planet's Transit Through the Zodiac

I have dedicated some time to Pluto, the forgotten world on the edge of the solar system that is about to transit from Capricorn into Aquarius. As an astrology fan, this is a big thing as Pluto doesn’t change sign very often. Therefore, I decided to have a look at what its new home might mean but also look at the impact it has already made on its journey through the signs of the zodiac.

What is Pluto?

A little bit of Astronomy first. Pluto used to be the 9th planet in the solar system. It was demoted to a Dwarf Planet in 2006 because it didn’t meet all the criteria to remain in the planetary club:

Orbit on a path around the Sun

Be of spherical (or almost) shape

Clear its neighbourhood around its orbit.

Unfortunately, Pluto does not meet the final criteria as it shares its neighbourhood with other large object. This means it cannot be classed as a planet.

Pluto is 5.3 billion kilometres away from Earth and is smaller than our Moon! Surprisingly though, it has 5 moons of its own, the largest being Charon. Pluto is cold! The average temperature is -232°C, making it too cold to sustain life.

Pluto Through the Zodiac

It takes 248 years to orbit the Sun and therefore, make one cycle of the zodiac. That means that, for most people, Pluto will have moved through less than half of the zodiac in their lifetimes. It spends between 11 and 30 years in each sign (the difference is due to retrogrades). This means that Pluto is considered a generational planet, having influence over entire groups of society rather than having an individual impact.

Pluto in Astrology

In Astrology, Pluto is the modern ruler of Scorpio. It is the planet of transformation, life and death cycles and of the desire for power and control. Pluto brings upheaval, whether we are ready for it or not. It may throw us into chaos with the hope that we will emerge from it stronger. Pluto does not mess around; he throws you in at the deep end of the pool and forces you to swim there and then. From this comes personal development and growth. This is also how Pluto encourages you to embrace impermanence and the fact that things are out of your hands – there is no point in fretting over things you have no say over. With Pluto, you learn to take things as they come and act accordingly; you can’t control the wind, but you can control the sail in your boat. Pluto forces a clear out; power struggles, fears, phobias, negative past experiences, irrational thoughts and inner demotions all rise to the surface. Fortunately, introspection can also release your inner strength, allow you to seize control of your own destiny and provide a sense of empowerment. Where and how this happens of course will depend on Pluto’s sign and house placement within your own natal chart.

Pluto’s Next Transit

Pluto enters Aquarius on January 22nd. It last visited the sign of the water bearer in 1798! It will remain in Aquarius until September 2nd. It will then retrograde back into Capricorn before returning to Aquarius on November 20th, where it will remain until 2043! That is a long time for the transformative powers of Pluto to work with the innovative, unconventional and rebellious energies of Aquarius. What could this period bring?

We may see huge technological advancements. This may manifest as scientific breakthroughs, perhaps through advance treatments or even cures for diseases. We may see further advancements in Artificial Intelligence perhaps through its implementation in the workplace or in places of learning. We may be about to receive more advanced Virtual Reality technology that could be used for education as well as entertainment. With the focus on sustainability, I would say it is likely we will see breakthroughs in renewable energy sources, perhaps more efficient or affordable.

There may be an amplification of social and humanitarian movements. We may see increased activism and advocacy for marginalised groups, human rights and social equality. Pluto may highlight issues and inequalities, encouraging many to fight for change. There may be pushes for fairer political systems, fairer distribution of power and governments that are a truer reflection of society. Societal shifts for social justice may gain momentum as society works collectively to break down old barriers of intolerance and discrimination.

This transit may bring upheavals as people work to bring down traditional power structures and work towards decentralised governance. We may see many use the democratic right to protest the traditional power structures and strive for alternative systems of governance and economics. It is safe to say that the status que will not continue as is during this period. It is going to be an exciting and transformative 20 years! I am sure that the world will look much different when Pluto finally leaves the domain of the water bearer.

The Impact of Pluto’s Previous Transits

Over the past 240+ years, Pluto has made its way around all 12 signs of the zodiac, and I was interested to see if it, along with the energies of the signs, had a visible impact on society:

Pisces: Pluto was last in Pisces between 1798 and 1822. This period saw abolitionist movements to end slavery. This represented a huge shift in what was considered “normal” practice. Pluto highlighted the cruelty and injustice of the system and brought it crashing down. The movement to abolish slavery appealed to the collective conscience and emphasised the need for compassion and empathy to those suffering (Pisces). Pisces also blurred the boundaries between race and challenged the idea of one being superior to the other. This period also saw the Romantic Movement, brining a shift in artistic focus. It emphasised emotion, imagination and connections with nature. This connects very closely to Pisces ideals. It represented a change to art that was more introspective and intuitive.

Aries: Pluto last visited the home of the ram between 1822 and 1852. During this time, the Earth saw the commencement of the Industrial Revolution. This destroyed the old ideas of working and methods of doing things, bringing innovation and revolutionary technology and working processes. Britain went from a land of farmers to the workshop of the world. It would lead the way for the invention of many items we rely on today. People embodied the Aries qualities of individualism and risk taking but leaving their homes and heading to the cities in search of a better life. Competition and drive is also evident through the rapid development of technology sands the rise of rival companies.

Taurus: Pluto was last in the realm of the bull between 1852 and 1883. During this time, the California Gold Rush took place. The discovery of Gold in California led to a huge influx of people looking for prosperity and abundance. Towns were established, businesses formed and infrastructure put in place, demonstrating a huge transformation of the areas land and economy. This period also saw the construction of the first transcontinental railway in the USA. It revolutionised transportation and communication, breaking down old barriers that the land once put up. It opened new opportunities for trade, economic growth and expansion. The Taurean determination and practicality is also seen in the undertaking of such a huge engineering task.

Gemini: Pluto last visited the twins between 1883 and 1914. This period saw rapid advancements in communication and intellectual pursuits. The invention of the telephone, the radio and the spread of mass media (mainly newspapers) meant that means of communicating and sharing information were transformed for the better. Journalism also arose as a power for providing information and shaping opinion, thus highlighting the power of Pluto to transform society. and This was a time of intellectual advancements including Einsteins relativity theory which basically tore apart the accepted understanding of the universe, highlighting Pluto’s transformative energy, expressed here in Gemini’s domain of learning and understanding.

Cancer: Pluto was last in Cancer between 1914 and 1939. Between this period, one world war began and ended while a second also began. It brought the rise of totalitarian leaders (Hitler, Mussolini) and brought massive social upheavals, destruction and transformation. It reflects the Cancerian desire for security of the home, both literally in terms of securing their homes but also in their country as home – there was the intense emotions of feeling the need to “do your bit” and “stand up” for your country. This was also the time of the Great Depression. Livelihoods were literally destroyed, and many homes experienced hardship and emotional vulnerability at the loss of home comforts and protection. Lack of money and food required new ways of making do and ensuring the family were looked after as much as possible. However, significant reforms were made around the world through welfare programmes and community support, showing the nurture and compassion of Cancer but also the rebirth and growth of Pluto.

Leo: Pluto last visited the Lion between 1939 and 1957. This was the period of starting over and rebuilding after the War. The post war period saw not only the rebuilding of homes, town and cities, but of whole countries, infrastructure, economies and society. This as a time to establish new national pride and a greater sense of self-identity, both Leo traits. Self-expression also transformed through the birth of rock n roll and the emergence of new art forms and literature.TV was also on the rise with more people now having them in their homes. It revolutionised communication but also brought entertainment and new method of gaining attention and recognition (which Leo loves). The public attention was also captured by the charisma and presence of leaders such as Churchill, Roosevelt and De Gaulle, who left their mark on their countries.

Virgo: Pluto was last in Virgo between 1957 and 1972. During this period we saw civil rights movements. African American and other marginalised groups fought for equal rights and an end to segregation. Activities focused on specific goals, legal strategies and non-violent tactics, mirroring Virgo’s meticulous planning and realistic approaches to problem solving. The sheer numbers of protesters were testament to Virgos need to help others. Pluto smashed old ways of thinking and encouraged something new. There was also growing awareness of environmental issues, echoing Virgo’s desire for cleanliness and the preservation of Earth’s resources. Thorough research by people like Rachel Carson emphasised the need for sustainable practices and suggested means od reading pollution and protecting ecosystems. Again, we see Pluto in action through the shedding of old ways and bringing transformation in terms of alternative means of thinking about society and the environment.

Libra: Pluto last balanced on the scales between 1972 and 1984. This was a time of political transformations and tensions during the height of the Cold War. Pluto intensified the struggles between the USA and the USSR. The balancing power of Libra helped to ensure fair and diplomatic negotiations, increased dialogue and reduced hostilities that managed and ultimately ended these tensions. There were also political transformations around the world; several military dictatorships in Latin America ended as well as the establishment of a democratic system in Portugal. These reflect the destruction of old ways that no longer serve (Pluto) and the desire for equality and fairness (Libra). This was also a time of human rights advocacy; LGBT, women and indigenous people all fought for equality, fairness and harmony, tearing down old, outdated structures and views in the process. The UK got its first female Prime Minister, a huge nod to equality for women.

Scorpio: Pluto last visited Scorpio (its home sign) between 1984 and 1995. During this period, the world saw the fall of the Berlin Wall and the dissolution of the USSR. These represented the dismantling of old systems. These events represented the breakdown of ideological structures and opened the door to transformative change through democracy and relationships with other countries around the world. It also unified a country (Germany). This was also the period during which we saw the dismantling of Apartheid in South Africa, marking a significant transformation in policies of segregation. Hidden truths were revealed (Pluto and Scorpio like digging deep) such as secret arms deals involving the USA and Iran as well as the horrific genocide in Rwanda, prompting international outrage and action.

Sagittarius: Pluto was last in Sagittarius between 1995 and 2008. While it visited the centaur, we witnessed the rise of religious extremism and ideological conflicts. This can be exemplified through the 9/11 terrorist attacks which were planned due to confrontation (Pluto) based on religious extremism and differing ideologies (Sagittarius). During this period we saw increased tension between different ideologies and sects of the same ideology e.g. the Balkans wars in Bosnia and Kosovo while the Arab Spring uprisings also saw the clash between ruling dictatorships and the desire for democracy in Africa and the Middle East. Here we see Pluto in action through conflicts and huge changes and Sagittarius brings the religious/ideological element.

Capricorn: Pluto has been in Capricorn since 2008 and will remain there for a few more days. During this time, the world faced major economic transformations and power shifts. Pluto’s transformative power exposed flaws within the world financial systems (Capricorn’s domain), leading to the global financial crisis. This highlighted the need for long term planning and led to restructuring of systems and introduction of tighter regulations to prevent a rerun (a very Capricornian solution!). This was also the transit that saw Brexit, the UKs exit from the European Union. This brought a huge change in political and economic structures. The vote challenged the authority of the European Union and transformed the existing power structures. Negotiations were painstaking and required thorough, long term planning to ensure economic and political stability for all involved. The MeToo Movement also highlights the need for change (Pluto) by highlighting the need for integrity, accountability (Capricorn) in various industries.

I hope you have enjoyed my (not so) little journey through the zodiac with Pluto. It is interesting to see the events that occurred during these transits and how the link to the energy of the planet and the sign in which it was located.

Blessed Be

Alan

16 Likes

I like what it said about the prices

8 Likes

Not forgotten in my heart! :heart:

I love this deep dive into Pluto- it’s a planet/Dwarf Planet close to my heart (and I suppose my sign too!) :scorpius: :astrology_pluto:

This is really exciting! I suppose my first thought with current technologies is the advancements with AI, but how wonderful if treatments for diseases and cures are on the agenda. I’m feeling positive about Pluto in Aquarius later this month- thank you so much for this every thorough and informative exploration of Pluto through the signs, Alan! :pray: :star2: :blush:

9 Likes

Alan,

I have always had a fascination with Pluto. I love your insights! Thank you for sharing this! :astrology_pluto: :stars: :sparkling_heart: :milky_way:

With stars :dizzy: always

10 Likes

@BryWisteria @marsha

I found it fascinating looking back at Pluto through the signs. It was so interesting to see how the energies of the planet and the sign it was in seemed to connect with major events that occurred.

I then deiced to have a look at the astrology around the Titanic sinking (I was fascinated by this as a child). Interesting that Mercury went retrograde a few days before when you consider the missed ice warnings, the radio breaking down and the miscommunication of signals from a nearby ship, things certainly were not working as they should. M

Uranus, the bringer of sudden, unexpected upheaval, was in Aquarius, the sign of innovation and progress. Uranus uses shock value to bring things to the fore and initiate change. Here was have the largest, most technically advanced ship of the time, apparently unsinkable, meeting its fate in a way that no one expected or could even have contemplated. I cant help but wonder it this was an “ill show you” moment from mother nature in response to the arrogance of man, who believed that their technology had tamed her. Mars in Aries, certainly adds to this feeling of arrogance but also of the reckless decisions being made - speeding the ship up, not fully loading boats, the wireless operator telling a nearby ship to “shut up” when the later was warning them of ice. It adds to a feeling of boldness, arrogance and recklessness that ultimately led to disaster.

Pluto was in Gemini at this point too. When you think of Gemini as a sign of duality and add to that the destructive power of Pluto, I can help but think of how things went so wrong - the duality between the grandeur and luxury of the ship and the devastation and tragedy of the sinking. However, there was also the transformative aftermath (Pluto) where transport (Gemini) was drastically changed; 24 radio manning, ice patrols and lifeboats for all. Certainly a change for the better.

Neptune was in Cancer during this period too. This just highlights the sheer shock and profound emotional outpour that resonated around the world. There is also a sense of collective grief from this placement. boundaries of class were blurred as everyone found themselves in the same boat (no pun intended) as they awaited recue and discovered the fate of their loved ones. Neptune formed a square aspect with the Moon too, highlighting emotional turmoil, confusion and fear faced by the passengers and crew.

It really is fascinating stuff and makes you look at astrology in a different way.

blessed be

Alan

10 Likes

I absolutely did! :clap: I love that you took this further than just what’s happening now, especially since Pluto is a slow-moving planet and takes a really long time to make a full orbit around the Sun. I’m one of the “lucky” people of the generation of Pluto in Scorpio :joy: so I tend to feel that a lot, I guess.

Anyway, thank you for putting this together. I really enjoyed it!

I also want to drop this here because, well, Pluto will always be a planet in my heart! :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Snap! It was just 4 months into its transit when i was born so I recieved the full force of its effects! I do feel that it has given me the desire for transformation and growth as well as well as a bit of intensity! Its in my sixth house of work and service. too so could explain my intense, almost perfectionst needs at work and why i strive to do my best for the children I teach. There has also been a lot of out with the old and in with the new at work on my part. This may also be my deep interest in spiritual matters comes from and why I am drawn so deeply to esoteric subjects like astrology.

For me, astrology just seems to get more and more fascianting.

PS i LOVE that parody song!

Alan

7 Likes

Alan, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for your insights! Your explanation of the impact of past transits was really helpful, and now I have a much better understanding of what to expect with this one.

You’re awesome!

8 Likes

Thak you so much. You are welcome and I am glad you found it insightful

Blessed be

Alan

7 Likes

I was born in '91 so I was in the last few years of its transit :joy:

I’m still learning about the houses and stuff. It takes me a minute to disconnect the sign from the house, even though they’ll be the same…ish? So a planet in Scorpio will also always be a planet in the Sixth House. It’s hard for me to disconnect the Scorpio from the House :blush: if I’m even understanding it properly!

7 Likes

It is confusing at first; a good way to remember it is:

The planet tells you WHAT is happening

The sign tells you HOW you will do it

The house tells you WHERE in life it is happening.

So for example if Mars is in Gemini in the sixth house…

What is happening? Mars suggests you are bringing passion, drive and energy
How are you doing it? Gemini would suggest through communicating and learning
Where are you doing it? Sixth house would suggest in relation to your work or health.

It may be a new passion and energy for learning a new exercise routine or diet plan. This is a simple example but gives an idea of how to piece everything together.

Scorpio is in the 6th house on my birth chart but this will not be the case for everyone. It depends what your rising sign is. If you are Scorpio rising then Scorpio would rule your first house.

7 Likes

Ohh that’s right… I always forget that part :rofl: thank you for the reminder! That’s how it’s different!

7 Likes

Oh that is very helpful! I admit I’m pretty much out of my depth with astrology. It’s one of those subjects that I have a hard time understanding and retaining the information. I guess it just overwhelms me a bit!

8 Likes

A better treatment for ALS and cancer would be fantastic :pray::people_hugging::purple_heart:

7 Likes

C’mon, Pluto in Aquarius- so mote it be! :pray: :heart: :sparkles: :hugs:

6 Likes