Àinë Celtic Sun Goddess

Being Scottish I have tended toward having my focus on the Celtic Gods and Goddess in my daily rituals but since there wasn’t one for today for the Goddess àinë I did a little digging and came upon this article:

They also had an ancient prayer that is attributed to her that I copied for my own use but will share it here in case there are any other Celtic witches who want to honor her today.

Àinë Celtic Sun Goddess

Hail to thee, thou sun of the seasons,

As thou traversest the skies aloft;

Thy steps are strong on the wing of the heavens,

Thou art the glorious mother of the stars.

Thou liest down in the destructive ocean

Without impairment and without fear;

Thou risest up on the peaceful wave-crest

Like a queenly maiden in bloom.

It’s interesting that there are so many differing accounts for the same Goddess and no one really knows for sure if she was human or immortal. It will be interesting to find more information since my heritage is Scottish and I married a rival clan member lol.

Blessed be and happy new year. :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Very beautiful prayer! Thanks for sharing! :hugs:

6 Likes

Great information and a nice read. Thank you for the beautiful prayer too!

5 Likes

Coming from a Roman background myself, I am extremely used to this trope of Sun = Male; Moon = Female. It was refreshing to read this:

The very word “sun” derives from the Norse and Germanic goddess Sunna, who transverses the daytime skies with her solar chariot

That was an excellent article. Hurrah for solar goddesses, and thanks for sharing it!

4 Likes

It is always a delight to learn about a new goddess- thank you so much for sharing your wisdom about Àinë, @Magdelina! I personally find the Celtic deities to be fascinating- I took a semester of Scottish Gaelic in university, but I have to admit none of it stuck :sweat_smile: But reading this beautiful chant reminds me of how lovely and fascinating the culture there is.

Truly, thank you so much for sharing! Blessed be :sun_with_face::pray:

4 Likes