Am i being disrespectful?

Hi and Merry Meet to everyone. I am a baby witch and new to Wicca (loving every bit of the experience), and I have started on the progress of setting up my first Altar and will be continuing to add altar items in the coming weeks until I feel like it is me (unfortunately it is lockdown due to Covid where i live, so i have to make, source within my home or order online).
So my question is, since i have limited space in the house and the only sacred quite space i have is in the dining room where my study area used to be, is it disrespectful to also place my laptop on my altar when I am learning/researching about Wicca and doing my social work studies? I have 4 kids and a accepting/divided husband, so this space is the only place i may have time to practice Wicca. The last thing i want to do is give my sacred space the feel of insignificance which is the exact opposite of what it is to me.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t think it’s disrespectful. That’s your opinion. It’s your altar. If you believe it’s disrespectful, then it is. If you don’t believe it’s disrespectful then it’s not. Personally, I don’t think it is because that’s your sacred space.

7 Likes

Hi thanks for replyingChristina, i tend to have been touchy when others sit or touch my space as i feel so connected to my altar, however, i do not particularly feel i am being disrespectful and actually feel that my own positive energies and calmness helps me to cope with the stress of studies, kids and life, so in a way even when i do not find heaps of time to meditate, i am sort of ‘unconsciously’ meditating in a way :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I don’t have my laptop on my altar but I do have it next to it. But I don’t feel like its disrespectful to have your laptop on your altar as you use that space for learning as well. It can help you to gain energy for learning and having your laptop there is a great way to add that usefulness for it. If I had a larger surface area for my laptop on my altar I would have it on it as well. not only does my altar help me to receive that extra boost of energy when I work with it but it also gives me more reason to learn about new and exciting things about my craft. Plus you can even use your laptop as an electronic book of shadows where all your information is. SO really its just a plus to have it there as well. Blessed be

8 Likes

“you can even use your laptop as an electronic book of shadows”

Good call!!

5 Likes

If it makes you feel any better, I have a mini-altar in front of my computer and do a lot of my workings from here. I don’t think it’s disrespectful, since that’s where I spend the majority of my time. It where I meditate at and everything. So I’d say go ahead and do whatever makes it easy for you to spend time with the Gods. You do you.

6 Likes

My sacred space is in my bedroom. I have my altar setup on top of my vanity dresser. I also have things on my dresser like an earring stand, a porcelain baby doll that I hang things my kids made when they were in kindergarten or younger, a crystal ring holder with earring backs & a ring my mom gave me when I was a teenager, a crystal butterfly box that has piercing jewelry in it. All of those things & other, including my crystals, pendants, wooden boxes affect my daily life/practice in some way and most are a part of me through passed loved ones. My altar though is central to the mirror. However it makes you feel connected to your practice is what really matters. Its personal for everyone. I wish I had an updated picture, but over the last few weeks I have let my space go a bit while I go through some things. So I’m sorry if this doesn’t read well.

5 Likes