An Imbolc Rite For One đź’›

I was flipping through one of my books as I was setting up my altar space yesterday and I came across this ritual for Imbolg that I wanted to share with everyone. This comes from the book Brigid by Courtney Weber.

An Imbolc Rite for One

Materials

• Bowl of cleansing water
  • Three white candles
  • One yellow candle (do not use dripless candles)
  • A small food offering- preferably something sweet such such as a cupcake or a cookie

Before beginning your Imbolc rite, reflect on recent events in your life; blessings, lessons, growth, and more. Create a space of comfort --perhaps with a cozy comforter and a cup of tea. (As always, if you live in an environment where there is little or no privacy or quiet, don’t be afraid to make use of your bathroom as sacred space.)

Focus on challenges that have come up in the space between Samhain and Imbolc, particularly any challenges you’d like to leave behind. Focus on what things you really wish to see come into your home, health, work, or self. Try, as best as you are able, to envision when throughout the months between the present Imbolc and the following Samhain that these things could happen (e.g. increased money after tax time, a new exercise routine when the weather warms, travel during the summer, a return to school in the fall).

Set your space for ritual with the four candles in holders, unlit, in a circle with the bowl of cleansing water in the middle. If you are in a region where snow is present, consider adding a lump of clean snow to your water just before beginning the rite.

When the challenges and desired blessings are firmly in mind, light the three white candles and let them burn for a while, but do not light the yellow one yet. Draw into your mind the vision of the Cailleach, the Winter Hag. Call upon her aloud or in your head:

Queen of Ice, Queen of Stone,
Hear me from your Frozen Throne,
Be here, be here, be here now!

As you chant or meditate on the words, envision her hair of snow, her skin of stone, and her eyes of ice, or however she appears to you. When you can see the image of the Winter Hag as firmly in your mind as you are able, cease the chant and begin to recount the challenges you’ve faced over the last few months either in your head or aloud. Next, tell her why you no longer want these things to hold you back. Then, listen. Listen to the words of the Winter Hag. Why were you faced with such challenges? Does she know? What words does she have for you?

When you are ready to be released from these things, begin to chant or meditate the following:

Brigid has come! Brigid is welcome!
Brigid has come! Brigid is welcome!

Continue to chant until you can see or feel Brigid and her hair of sunbeams and long green cloak replace the space of the Winter Hag. Light the yellow candle. Declare aloud or in your head what you want to be free from, such as, “I release myself from stagnation in my career!” “I release the anger and pain at my ex!” “I release impatience with my children!” Allow the dripping wax of the yellow candle to extinguish the flame of the white candles.

Sit with the burning yellow candle for a time, fixating on the image of Brigid in your mind. Tell her, aloud or in your head, what you wish to see blossom in your life over the spring, summer, and autumn. Then, as you did with the Cailleach, listen to any words that may come from Brigid, herself.

Finally, wash your face, the top of your head, and neck with the cleansing water. If you wear jewelry daily, wash that as well. If there are specific possessions that remind you of your troubles or troubling time, immerse them in water (if they are things that can be immersed -stones such as opal or selenite cannot be submerged) or simply flick some of the water over them if total submersion would damage them. Consider then changing your clothes as a symbol of putting on a new face, even if they are not new clothes. If you are able, burn the candle in a safe place in the center of your home-where you can see it, of course! No flames should be left unattended! The rite has concluded. Leave the sweet treat for the night on the windowsill. The sweet on the windowsill is a very old Imbolc tradition, one in which a sheaf of hay was also left for Brigid’s cow, as Brigid was believed to travel the countryside with a bovine companion. Traditionally, it was expected that the poor or hungry would take the food during the night, keeping with the spirit of Brigid’s aiding the poor. If this aspect speaks to you, consider taking an extra step in leaving the food where you do believe a hungry person will find it or simply drop of a food donation at a local pantry or soup kitchen.

Use the remaining water as a floor wash or sprinkle in the corners of your home to cleanse and renew your home. After your rite, pamper yourself and relax for a bit. You’ll want to be restored to meet all of the changes you wish to manifest!

19 Likes

This looks lovely. Thankyou for putting this up. :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

You’re welcome :heart: I want to turn it into something pretty to print out for myself :laughing: I figured others would enjoy the ritual as well!

11 Likes

It’s lovely, thank you for sharing! I hadn’t decided if I was doing any spell or ritual (other than the decluttering and cleaning) but this rite speaks to me. I may have to find some red velvet cake mix tomorrow and make some cupcakes to use for it. You know, always thinking ahead :wink: :laughing:

Bookmarked and I’ll print out a copy tomorrow morning!

10 Likes

This is a beautiful spell :heart: I always appreciate ones that can be cast on your own!

Thank you for sharing, @MeganB, and blessed Imbolc! :sparkles:

6 Likes

You’re very welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: The imagery of The Cailleach and Brighid being juxtaposed really speaks to me this year for Imbolg, too. I hope you have a wonderful time with the ritual!

It certainly is and I’m happy I could share it with everyone! Blessed Imbolc to you, as well!

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! This is beautiful! :brigid_cross: :white_candle:

7 Likes

Oh, I love these lines so. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thank you for sharing this. I will have to do it when Imbolc rolls around. :black_heart:

5 Likes

You’re very welcome, both of you!

@starborn – I love those lines, too, so, so much. I did this ritual and had a very interesting experience with An Cailleach :thinking: I haven’t fully processed the way I feel about it, but I might write about it on my blog (maybe…when I can find the time…) and share it here!

6 Likes

Oh, nice! That would be lovely to read. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I finally got around to this yesterday :heart:

7 Likes