Backfired/undoing spells

Hi, everyone!

As a baby witch that’s still learning and doing her research I would like to know how can you undo a spell and how do you know if it backfired (the only thing I know is that something bad happens if it does? or I might be wrong with this).
I know that it depends on the spell, and I that’s why I haven’t done any, because I want to take all the protection precautions before doing one.
In case it backfires, I want to know what to do and how to undo it.

Thank you in advance!

7 Likes

Hi @diavoline! Great question! :+1:

I recently replied to a similar question about staying safe when casting spells. I’ll paste it here:

Most of the time, a ritual can’t “backfire”. It either works or it doesn’t. But the best protection spell is to keep learning. The more you learn, the less you fear.

Protection spells are available to those who might be dealing with baneful magic or don’t have enough confidence, so they feel a specific need for an extra layer of protection.

You don’t have to cast a circle every time you cast a spell. The circle will give you confidence and a place to practice without distractions, but it’s not always necessary. Think of it as a “safe space”, your training wheels. Eventually you don’t really need it and it’s also good to experiment without it.

10 Likes

Hey @diavoline! I don’t know too much myself about spells backfiring, but I do know of a good video of what happens and how to stop it. I watched it, I just can’t remember it. It’s about a thirty-minute video and I love Hearth, the witch who puts these out. You can find it here.

Hope this helps.

8 Likes

Hello there :heart:

I recently watched one of Thorn Mooney’s videos and she said something that I don’t think a lot of people realize. When doing a spell, the chances of it backfiring are very, very small. Usually, it either works or it just doesn’t. There is a lot of hype about spells backfiring and everyone needs to cast a circle to protect themselves but the reality is just not that.

Don’t be afraid to practice and experiment with your spellwork. You’ll never get any better if you don’t!

Here’s the video, too, if you want to watch it.

5 Likes

I know that feeling. I used to cast a circle every time, or try to, but sometimes my anxiety acts up & I wind up scattered while doing any work or ritual. I also have a small space & my circle never seemed to be any bigger than me standing in one spot and turning around. So instead, I have made it my practice to invoke Brigid (whichever deity you work with is just fine, it doesn’t have to be her.) If my spell or ritual is more involved, I cast a circle & invoke Brigid. I always go by how I feel immediately after. At first I was very, not scared, but shaky and questioning everything. I recently did a spell that hasn’t manifested, I didn’t do it wrong, but my anxiety was high & there were people in the house doing whatever it was they were doing. I do a lot better when I am by myself and can really focus on what I am doing and set the right intention. Not anxious & scattered & hurried. I’m going to do it again, but I will be in the right mindset, not just doing it to get it done.

7 Likes

@Francisco thank you for the clarification! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@Amethyst thank you for the amazing video! (:

@MeganB thank you so much, it’s so helpful. :purple_heart:

@Susurrus thanks for the advice ! but how do you invoke (a deity) is there something specific that you need to say- like a spell or just what feels right for you. Also how do you communicate with your deity? Do you see/hear/feel them? or?

6 Likes

Great question @diavoline! We discussed this in the topic: How do you find and connect with a deity?

My answer was:

Working with a deity can simply mean to show them gratitude and include them in your prayers or thoughts. There’s no right or wrong here, just what works for each person.

A good place to start can be building a relationship with your ancestors . Learn about the culture and deities of the people you come from. That can help you develop a strong connection.

If you haven’t already, I recommend that you watch this lesson:

And here’s a quick list of deities and information about them:

Other useful links:

3 Likes

You’re welcome for the video link! I hope it helped you out some.

3 Likes