Baked Ziti with Summer Vegetables

Baked Ziti with Summer Vegetables

active: 25 mins
total: 50 mins
Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 pound uncooked ziti pasta
2 1/2 pounds of yellow squash and zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and half-moons
2 pt.s red grape tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 ounces Romano cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 (12-oz.) jar marinara sauce
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
Fresh basil leaves

Directions:

Step 1

Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain and cool slightly, about 10 minutes.

Step 2

While pasta cooks preheat the broiler with the oven rack 6 inches from heat. Toss together squash, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Spread in a single layer; broil until charred and tender, about 10 minutes.

Step 3

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir together ricotta, Romano, basil, vinegar, and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.

Step 4

Combine pasta, cooked vegetables, and marinara sauce in a large bowl; gently stir to combine. Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Dollop 1 cup of ricotta mixture evenly on the pasta mixture. Repeat with remaining pasta mixture and ricotta mixture. Top evenly with mozzarella.

Step 5

Bake at 350°F until lightly browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with basil.

Test Kitchen Tip:

Broil the vegetables before you add them to the pasta to keep them from releasing too much water as the pasta bakes.

Recipe courtesy of Southern Living.

8 Likes

That looks delicious @Amethyst!

5 Likes

Pasta, my favorite food! Looks and sounds yummy!

5 Likes

I just don’t think you can go wrong with pasta, veggies and cheese! Thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

@Ostara, @marsha, @AileyGrey, thank you all so much! I’m glad you liked the recipe! I figured that people would be getting those super squashes from the garden soon and want something to do with them!

6 Likes

My husband loves the different squashes, I have never been able to eat squash, but I hate that he will eat what I eat & not some of the things he loves. So maybe once we have some squash in the garden I will surprise him, he likes pasta dishes & the summer vegetables :hugs:

5 Likes

I see you, and I applaud you :clap::laughing: :cheese:

I think it wouldn’t be too far off to call this Baked Mac n’ Cheese Ziti with Summer Veggies! :yum: Yumma!

Thanks for a fun summer recipe, @Amethyst! :heart:

3 Likes

Maybe if you cover it in enough cheese you won’t notice the squash? Either way, I hope your hubby likes it!

Hee! There does seem to be some serious dairy going on, doesn’t it? Glad you liked it my dear!

4 Likes