1 lb strong wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 ounce fresh yeast
2 teaspoons clear honey
1/3 cup brown ale
2 cups warm water

Directions:

Mix the flour and salt together.

Blend the yeast with a little of the ale to create a creamy paste, then mix into this the rest of the ale, honey, and 1.5 cups of warm water.

Add this liquid mixture into the flour and salt until you have a firm dough. NOTE: You may need to add a little extra water to get the right consistency.

Shape the dough into a ball, leave it in the bowl and cover it with clingfilm. Place the bowl of dough in a warm area of the kitchen and wait until the dough has risen to about twice its original size.

Remove the clingfilm, press the dough down firmly, and split it into 2 halves.

Place each half of the dough in a bread or cake tin (depending upon the shape of the loaf you want to bake). Cover each tin with a cloth and set it to one side to allow the dough to rise further.

Bake in a preheated oven (230 degrees Celcius) for about 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and turn out the loaves onto a wire rack. Leave until cold before cutting and serving.

Recipe Notes:

Barley flour can be difficult to find. I order mine from a local wholefoods supplier.
Barley bread recipe by Shelagh Caudle

Recipe found at Medieval Recipes.

6 Likes

I am always intrigued about what people did, ate, how they acted and lived waaayyy back when… their foods included… This looks like a very interesting bread & seems like it would be good for the upcoming Sabbat!

6 Likes

It’s an interesting site! I went looking for a good barley bread recipe and found so much more!

5 Likes

I went to it too! I’m very intrigued by the Medieval Recipes. I’m glad you found more than you were hoping for & shared with us!

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m glad you liked it!

5 Likes

Bring on the bread recipes! :partying_face: :bread: You know it’s time for Lughnasadh when the forum fills up with bread :laughing: :+1:

Thank you so much for this recipe, @Amethyst! :heart:

5 Likes

You’re welcome! I have a good bannock recipe I’m going to post next week!

5 Likes