Basic Crustless Pumpkin Pie

One more Pumpkin Pie recipe and I promise I won’t do any more for a while. This not only for my friend Tamera, but it’s also for Lunabee on Dreamwidth too! Her hubby just came home with high cholesterol.

Instead of having whipped cream or cool whip on top, this one comes with three healthy toppings. Cranberry-Orange Almond Crunch, Ginger-Chocolate Crunch, and Maple-Apple Pecan Crunch. I’m going to include them all since they all sound yummy.

Basic Crustless Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

Pumpkin Pie:

1 (15 ounces) can pumpkin
⅓ cup sugar or sugar substitute (see Tips)
2 tablespoons honey
1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
½ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed (see Tips)
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup evaporated fat-free milk

Cranberry-Orange Almond Crunch:

½ cup lightly sweetened toasted oat bran cereal flakes with oat clusters (such as Smart Start®)
⅓ cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
¼ cup dried cranberries
½ teaspoon finely shredded orange peel

Ginger-Chocolate Crunch:

8 cookies gingersnaps, broken
2 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate (60 to 70% cacao), chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger

Maple-Apple Pecan Crunch:

2 eaches gala or Jonathan apples (or 2 ripe pears)
¼ cup of water
¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease an 8-inch springform pan. In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, honey, and pie spice. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat lightly just until combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into prepared pan and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Step 2

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until center appears set when gently shaken. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack. Cover with foil and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours before serving.

Step 3

To serve, loosen pie from the sides of the pan by running a thin metal spatula around the edge. Remove sides of the pan. Cut pie into wedges to serve.

Step 4

Cranberry-Orange Almond Crunch: In a small bowl combine lightly sweetened toasted oat bran cereal flakes with oat clusters (Smart Start®); coarsely chopped almonds, toasted; dried cranberries; and finely shredded orange peel. (This makes a great snack mix or breakfast cereal: make extra of the mixture and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.)

Step 5

Ginger-Chocolate Crunch: Top chilled pumpkin mixture with 8 gingersnaps, broken. Then top evenly with 2 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate (60 to 70% cacao), chopped; and 2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger.

Step 6

Maple-Apple Pecan Crunch: Core, quarter, and thinly slice gala or Jonathan apples or ripe pears. In a large skillet, cook apples and pears, covered, in water over medium heat for 5 minutes or just until softened and pliable but not mushy. Drain off liquid. Arrange apple or pear slices atop pumpkin when directed in step 3. Sprinkle with coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted, and drizzle with pure maple syrup.

Tips:

Test Kitchen Tip: Choose from Splenda granular or Sweet’N Low bulk or packets. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar.

Sugar Substitutes: Same as above, except 67 cal., 13 g carb. Exchanges: 1 carb. Carb choices: 1.

You can substitute 2 eggs, lightly beaten, for the egg product.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 slice
Per Serving:
95 calories; protein 3.9g 8% DV; carbohydrates 20.2g 7% DV; dietary fiber 1.6g 6% DV; sugars 17.3g; fat 0.2g; saturated fat 0.1g 1% DV; cholesterol 1mg; vitamin c 2.6mg 4% DV; folate 23.7mcg 6% DV; calcium 90.8mg 9% DV; iron 1.2mg 7% DV; magnesium 19.3mg 7% DV; potassium 218.5mg 6% DV; sodium 59.4mg 2% DV.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carb

3 Likes

@Amethyst I LOVE this recipe. Have you ever tried dividing it into muffin tins, custard cups or ramekins? If you have- how does that change the cooking time? I will save this one for sure! Your house must smell wonderful!

3 Likes

No, I’ve not tried it. I just find the recipes. Unfortunately due to my physical disabilities, I can’t really cook anymore. It’s difficult for me to stand long enough to do anything. Which sucks because I used to put on quite the spread for Thanksgiving. Homemade rolls and everything.

Although if you wanted to cook this in a muffin pan, I’d use the temp and time from the Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes and check them out when you pull them out. The recipes aren’t too different. Just check to make sure the center is a bit wobbly and mostly set. It’ll finish cooking out of the oven, I’d say.

Hope this helps! :turkey:

3 Likes

Oh Kasie, it must be frustrating to not be able to do the things you used to. I know in part how that feels since I used to do very detailed drawings before my eyesight went wonky. It was my form of meditation to get lost in the creative process of drawing.
I want you to know that you are such a bright light. You have such a huge heart and it is a wonderful gift you share with the forum. (I hunt for your posts!!!) :male_detective:

Thanks for the suggestion … I will add your notes to the recipe.
Before covid19 I used to have lunch with a group I belong to - we would average about 25 ladies at the meeting (out of 52 members). This would be wonderful for so many that had special diets. Hope there will be a day when we can all gather like that again. Thanks for the healthy options!

3 Likes

I miss it, yeah, but with me being alone now I don’t have anyone to cook for, which is half the fun. I’m sorry you’re eyesight has gone bad, that’s scary. And you’re so talented too! I bet your drawings were awesome!

Aww! Thank you for those kind words, you made me blush. :blush: I love it here, I was very lonely in my craft before I found this forum. I’m so glad to have made friends like you!

Glad I could help you find a recipe for your group! Hopefully this time next year you’ll be able to get together with them. Or hey, canned pumpkin is available all year, why not have it in the spring? :hugs:

3 Likes

I wrote this a while back but it makes me think of you. @kasie

There cannot be life without challenge
The best we can do is to cope
May there always be light in the darkness
May there always be reason to hope.
May you learn to build fires in the hopeless
May you learn to give others your spark
You hold the tools to spead sunshine
When others see only the dark.
Hold fast to what you believe in
It is your strength that will pull you through
and when you feel the weakest,
remember,
Other are uplifting you.

Berta Morgan
3 Likes

Thank you for that, it’s beautiful! May I copy it to my BOS?

2 Likes

@berta this is beautiful! Mind if I print it? I’d love to put it in a frame and give to my son. Maybe one for myself too…:wink:

3 Likes

@Amethyst @Rowan
Of course… be my guest. I am so flattered that you liked it.
:heartbeat: :two_hearts: :heartbeat:

3 Likes

You write beautifully! Of course we’re gonna like it! :star_struck:

2 Likes

@berta Thank you! :heart_eyes::grin:

1 Like