Bath Ritual question (for the ladies, sorry dudes)

Trigger Warning: female anatomy

Ok, so I have a female question for those who create, and use herbs, salts etc. in ritual baths.

I’m sure most of you have heard or have been told to take care of what you put in a baby’s bath to limit “female” infections.

Would this same apply to older children and adult women?

I have always been leery of adding a lot to a bath for this very reason because I added bubble bath to my daughters bath when they were little (about 3 or 4) and both ended up with a terrible infection, took forever to get rid of it and I think it actually set them up to have troubles with that when they got older.

I know there is a big difference between adding natural things like herbs and salts and adding who knows what chemicals that are in commercial bubble bath, even if it says it is safe for kids.

But is it just that it would happen if you are prone to those types of infections, is it what you would add or am I just being paranoid?

I know we can adjust a ritual bath to a shower but would it be wise to apply all the ingredients of a ritual bath directly to your skin to turn it into a ritual shower?

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

I’d be interested to learn this too. Thanks for putting it out there. :sparkling_heart:

6 Likes

Hi @suzanne7,

Great question!

Maybe this is TMI, but apparently when I was little I had the exact same problem as your kids with the bubble bath causing infections- no more bubble baths for little Bry :sweat_smile: I imagine the companies didn’t do a good job testing it (or, like so many things, didn’t properly test how it would affect female bodies in particular).

I’m super careful now about the bath and shower products I use- I completely avoid bath mixes and bubble baths that are loaded with chemicals. While I can only speak for myself and my body, I’ve had no issues with natural soaps and bath mixes. In fact, some of the herbal, salt, and milk bath blends have been really great and nourishing for my sensitive skin! :bathtub: :sparkles:

I will say that, if someone has sensitive skin (anywhere on their body), be cautious with how much citrus you put into the bath- it’s lovely and has a great smell in small quantities, but can irritate the skin and cause itchiness if you’re very sensitive and use too much at once :tangerine: :mag:

As with anything, it’s best to do a test swab on your hand or arm and then start with very small amounts in the bath water to check for any reactions. If there’s an issue- don’t use that mix! If not, then relax and enjoy :blush:

Good luck and blessed be, Suzanne! :sparkles:

6 Likes

This is a fantastic question, @suzanne7 :clap:

I don’t use my bathtub - I’m too tall to be comfortable - so I’ve never really thought about it. Same with my kiddo. She doesn’t really take baths anymore. I would say that just about anything has the potential to cause infection, especially in such a sensitive area of a person’s body.

I think some people are more prone to infection than others, so definitely knowing a person’s body would be important. I also think, like @BryWisteria, that the more natural and chemical-free products would be less likely to cause infection.

My advice is this: when in doubt, either leave it out or use a small amount as a test first.

5 Likes

Hi :wave: 2 of my children had (or have) very sensitive skin. One we had to actually bathe every other day unless it was necessary depending on activities that day.

I will say, that more natural ingredients for their washes & hair worked much better for them. My daughter in particular would use a bath, but before she got out we did like a final rinse with the shower (& a facecloth or bath visor over face, for a long time she couldn’t stand water on her face)

Any newer products we had to do a spot check & we used products that were more natural. For her it was usually Aveeno or… now I cant remember. I’ll check though.

All of my children had transitioned to showers :shower: fairly early & now we have a stand up shower with a seat. (we had smaller than normal bathtub :bath: so it just wasn’t comfortable or necessarily easy because our bathroom is also kind of small)

I’m trying to remember what my daughter’s pediatrician had me use during & after the bath for her. (they were natural or organic) We also had to pat her dry & when she was much younger… keep her out of diapers, training pants, undergarments for about 15 - 20 minutes (longer if possible) after her baths. *(she had her own little ladybug :lady_beetle:hooded bath robe we put her in so she wasn’t all “nakey” running around with 2 older brothers.

My younger 2 also had eczema until into elementary school ages too. My daughter started taking daily showers once she started her cycle & started transitioning to young woman. We still have her use natural products for sensitive skin & she wraps in a towel then is usually in her room in a robe &/or locks her door while she does her aftershower things.

My son with sensitive skin used the same more natural products, pat dry, & no type of undergarments. He also had eczema into elementary years, but started daily showers once he started sports activities. So his wash also had an extra moisturizing element to it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.