Bee Keepers 🐝

Are any of my fellow Spell8 Coven members bee keepers? This is my first year attempting owning bees. I’ve been studying up on them for about a year now. The girls arrive the end of March to their new home here in Nashville, TN. Today I am outside sanding the outside of the hive boxes preparing them for painting. You only paint the exterior, not the interior components. Anyhow, just wanted to see if anyone else raises bees. :honeybee: blessed today y’all (pronounced in my country accent).

16 Likes

It’s really cool :grin:

12 Likes

May your land be dripping with honey and wax, soon!

12 Likes

Sweet gonna get that fresh honey

12 Likes

I’m not a bee keeper but I have thought about keeping bees before! They kinda scare me (and I have no clue if I’m allergic) and I’m not sure how well it would go here in Maine…

Anyway, I wish you so much luck and I hope you do keep us all updated on your bee-keeping adventure! :honeybee:

12 Likes

This is awesomely @david12 ! I have thought about it many times so I could make my own honey to combat allergies. Is it very expensive to get into? Did you purchase the beekeeper suit?

Please keep us updated on how it’s going!

13 Likes

Ahhhhh I want to have an apiary so much but my HOA actually forbids it. :cry: for now I’m just making friends with apiarists and learning in the hopes of maybe in the future living on a piece of land I can do with as I wish.

So excited to see your progress and hope you continue to share your adventure, so I can learn and enjoy vicariously! :honeybee: :honey_pot:

12 Likes

The hive kits run around $150. The suit around $100 (yes I will be wearing a bee suit lol). The 3 lb package of bees that arrive the end of March along with the queen ran around $150. So yes, it does have its start up cost. I’ve slowly been buying things over time to spread out the costs involved. Ordering my bees was the final step. So now I’m trying to get everything ready prior to their arrival. They don’t like new scents of a hive nor do they like paint scent so my hive has been out all winter to “age” and lose the new hive scent. I painted the hive today because they say to paint at least two weeks prior to adding bees. It’s definitely a process and you definitely have to study up on everything. Who knew bees were so dramatic. Lol. I’ll keep everyone posted on my progress. :honeybee::crystal_ball::green_heart:

12 Likes

I pulled out my HOA rules so many times and slowly scanned through every item. I was thrilled there was nothing about :honeybee:. Heck I even had to register with the state of Tennessee with the Apiary Office. Who knew there was a department specific to bee keeping. And yes, they want people to raise bees. I will keep you posted on the progress. It is definitely a learning experience. And more complicated than I thought. :face_with_peeking_eye::rofl::honeybee::green_heart:

13 Likes

Oh I am nervous as well. Watch a video on YouTube about adding a bee package to a hive. Lol. I get to experience that once the bees arrive. Those people don’t wear bee suits. Ummmm I will be wearing one with a hood. :honeybee::green_heart:

12 Likes

Can’t wait to use my own honey in honey spell work. I will also have access to lots of dead bees (their life span is like six weeks, so they push the bodies out of the hives). Not sure if/what they could be used for besides adding to compost but, we shall see. :honeybee::green_heart::face_with_peeking_eye:

12 Likes

I was listening to KPPR Pure Pagan Radio while working on my hive today. Love it. It’s on Apple Music or also online. Just an fyi for anyone interested. :green_heart:

12 Likes

Here is the color I chose. Beehive by Behr. Lol.

e

12 Likes

I didn’t know that was a thing until now. Just looked up my state laws and we have to do the same thing in NC and have an inspector come out. :open_mouth: So much to learn but really sounds enjoyable!

12 Likes

Thank you for answering all my questions! Start up costs aren’t too bad. And definitely I will do my bee studies! My grandpa had bees when I was a small child. Only protection he ever wore were gloves. I thought the man was crazy! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

I just know me. If I get stung while working in the hive I will react. And swift reactions don’t end well. Lol. Plus if you accidentally squish a bee it releases pheromones and the others come to help. Yes. Lots to learn but a bee suit is a must in my world. Lol.

13 Likes

I’m so excited to see your progress with this! :clap:

11 Likes

Ahhhh! :heart_eyes:

Congrats on your bee-autiful adventure, @david12! I’ve wanted to get bees for years, but it wasn’t possible when I was relocating every three months. Now that I’ve relocated to the US more long-term, it’s just a matter of figuring out housing and then I would love to finally get bees of my own :bee: :sparkles:

I bought a suit, veil, smoker, and a beehive and put it together last summer, but my local beekeeping association said it was too late in the season to start! I didn’t have any luck catching a swarm either. I might try again with the swarm this summer, but I’m hoping to order a bee nuc next year! :crossed_fingers:

Until then, I’ll be bee-keeping vicariously through you and other beekeepers online. Wishing you and your hive all the best! :heart:

Blessed bee!

12 Likes

congratulations! I love beekeeping!
At some point my partner and I have thought about getting bees! I wish you the best honey!
may you and your bees be blessed! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

12 Likes

Wonderful! Bless your bees…may they bee :honeybee: healthy and strong!

12 Likes