Big Chocolate Cake

If I was going to bake a cake this week, this would be it! :birthday: Enjoy!

Big Chocolate Cake

Level: Easy
Total: 1 hr 45 min
Prep: 20 min
Inactive: 1 hr
Cook: 25 min
Yield: 12 to 14 servings

Ingredients:

Cake:

4 sticks butter, plus more for greasing
8 heaping tablespoons cocoa, plus more for dusting
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling water
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 whole eggs, beaten

Frosting:

3 cups heavy cream
24 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:

For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease and dust with cocoa four 9-inch round cake pans.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the cocoa. Stir together. Add the boiling water, allow the mixture to boil for 30 seconds, and then turn off the heat. Pour over the flour mixture and stir lightly to cool.

Combine the buttermilk, baking soda, vanilla, and beaten eggs. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the butter/chocolate mixture.

Divide the batter among the prepared cake pans and bake for 20 minutes.

Cool completely before icing. Refrigerate the layers after cooling for best results.

For the frosting: Heat the cream until very hot, and then pour over the chocolate pieces. Stir to completely melt, and then pour into the bowl of an electric mixer. Refrigerate to cool.

Once completely cooled, add the vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until light and airy.

Frost the cake in between each layer, on the top and around the sides.

8 Likes

Ow thank goodness for chocolate :chocolate_bar: I’m sure it’s going to turn out good! I used real chocolate for the icing it turned out really good! I really need to keep track of my recipes better! Awsome thanks, I want to try this delicious recipe!

2 Likes

I love Chocolate Cake! When my mother was able to, she would come to my house on my birthday to make me a “from scratch” chocolate cake with homemade chocolate frosting. Peanut made a triple chocolate cake over the weekend too. When that is gone, we can make this one over her vacation.

1 Like

You’re welcome sweetie, I’m glad you liked!

OOh, Triple Chocolate cake sounds good too! YUM!

2 Likes

She is quite the baker. She has all kinds of cake decorating tools and things for cakes. She watches the shows on the cooking channel all the time.

2 Likes

There’s nothing like a warm chocolate cake right out of the oven :yum::chocolate_bar: Sometimes I like to put a dollop of nutella or jam in the center to make it extra delicious :drooling_face:

Thanks for sharing, @Amethyst!

Big chocolate sounds like big deliciousness! I’d be down to try this recipe and add either a little thc or cbd

1 Like

She should try out for that Kid Baking Competition!

Jam sounds good. I’m weird, I’m not fond of Nutella. LOL.

Hee! Green magic of a different kind. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Oh that gave me the best giggle

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Glad I could give you a laugh!

3 Likes