Brand Newbie Needing Help with Goddess and God Representation Statues Please?

Hi everyone,

My very first question.

Just a quick one. I am starting to set my my altar and I am quite surprised as to how many bits and pieces that I had lying around that are useful for a new purpose. Which is pretty awesome actually.

My question is… Are Bast and Anubis statues appropriate for my altar? To represent the Goddess and God?

I have always had an affinity with the Egyptian Gods even when I was young, especially Bast and Anubis.

I just want to make a respectful and appropriate altar.

Thank you everyone for your guidance and advice.

Jess🐾

12 Likes

@jessica72 hi I think it would be fine to use the statue that you have. You must have been drawn to them for a reason.

10 Likes

Yes they are suitable. The dieties you wish to worship are up to you. Guess it depends if you consider yourself a practitioner of Witchcraft as a general term, or you consider yourself a Wiccan and wish to follow Wicca as a religion.

I too am into Egyptian dieties and worship Ra the sun god and Isis for the Moon.

Tem

10 Likes

Thank you :blush:

8 Likes

Thank you. My first instinct was to use Bast and Anubis.

Then I probably did the worst thing that I could do and did some googling and a suggestion was using Isis and Osiris but it just didn’t feel right to be honest.

I can’t explain it. But I’ve had multiple statues of Bast and Anubis around the house for many years. Maybe this is why?

I just want everything that I choose to be respectful to the craft.

8 Likes

Its all about what feels right for you. Not what feels right for others so much.

Isis and Osiris is likely more accurate for me with Ra as the creator God makes more sense.

9 Likes

7 Likes

Altars can be whatever you want them to be to fit your practice. :bowing_man: :bowing_woman: When I first came out about my faith, I used an angel statue to represent My Lady. Here is a post of one setup I used. You can see the angel in the top right of the picture. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That really does help so much. Thank you. I need to stress less lol. The angel representation is beautiful. That would hold so much meaning especially if in remembrance of someone who has passed. I just thought of my dad as soon as i saw the angel on your altar. He passed when I was 8. Thank you that helped me so much. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Absolutely. It’s your altar and it should reflect your preference. I have Baste, Isis, Michael the Archangel is my protector, so he’s there. I keep Gaia and the horned god (Covering all bases, ha ha)I have dragons. I have an Aladdin type lamp not functional. I use a filigree mini chalice to use for formal spells. I keep regular candles for ceremonial spells and birthday candles if I can’t stay to watch the flame. I use incense matches too. My house is only 660 sq. ft. more incense, I’d have to open the windows to air out the building. My Travel altar is an Altoid tin painted. inside I carry the elements in mini pictures. Again, birthday candles, incense matches which also serve as the fire to light candles.
It is your altar, put whatever you want on it.
Light and Love, Garnet.

8 Likes

I’ve just been wandering around home. Ferreting around in drawers. I’ve found feathers that I had kept, a dragon that my Nan bought for me when I was little, a wind chime. All sorts of odds and ends that I had kept for pure sentimental value. Now I see them in a whole new way and understand that there was reason that I kept these things. As a Virgo through and through when I have a clean out I don’t hold back :joy:

8 Likes

Every altar is going to be different. There is no right or wrong way to set one up. It’s all instinct and intuition. If it feels right to you go with it if it don’t then don’t got with that. I have Greek deities cuz it feels right to me just like others have Greek or Roman or others. I don’t have a God on my altar at all because it feels right to me. But my goddess Artemis is also feminine and masculine so I have her as both. You can’t go wrong or be disrespectful if it’s right for you. And besides they are good deities to work with as well. You’ve found or been called by them and that’s awesome. You do you and they won’t think you are being disrespectful either if they think you’re doing something wrong they will let you know. That’s probably why they gave you that feeling when you looked at the others. Congratulations and welcome to the coven.

9 Likes

@jessica72 you have some great information already. They are right also, whatever feels right to you for representation on your altar. Some people have a separate altar dedicated to their deities, some people incorporate them into their spell/ritual altar space, & others have something for them that they use when specifically working with them. It’s all up to you & how it resonates with you & your practice.

I have my representation of my deity where I can set up for Her whenever I am working with Her very easily. Otherwise, she is near my altar, but not continually on my altar. Her items are by her statue & always near me, just not incorporated into my everyday altar.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Thank you :blush: and thank you for your welcome :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Isn’t it great the forgotten treasure we find. My Grandma used to say “Save something for seven years and you’ll find a use for it.”

7 Likes

That’s so lovely. She was certianly wise your Grandma. She is certianly right. :purple_heart:

6 Likes