Buffalo Chicken Casserole

Buffalo Chicken Casserole

total: 45 mins
active: 20 mins
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:

Cooking spray
12 ounces uncooked penne
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
12 ounces sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups), divided
2/3 cup buffalo-style hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (about 1 lb.)
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots (from 2 medium carrots)
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery (from 2 stalks), plus celery leaves for garnish
3/4 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Coat a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Prepare pasta in a large stockpot according to package directions for al dente. Drain pasta; return to the stockpot, and set aside.

Step 2

While pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium. Add flour; cook, whisking constantly, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Gradually add half-and-half, whisking constantly; cook, whisking often until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low; gradually add 2 cups of the Cheddar 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until melted and smooth after each addition. Remove from heat; whisk in hot sauce, sour cream, Worcestershire, and salt. Pour sauce over drained pasta in stockpot; add chicken, carrots, and celery, and toss gently to evenly combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.

Step 3

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over low. Stir together melted butter and panko in a small bowl. Sprinkle casserole evenly with the remaining 1 cup of Cheddar and panko mixture. Bake in preheated oven until the casserole is golden brown and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Sprinkle evenly with blue cheese, and garnish with celery leaves. Serve hot.

Recipe courtesy of Southern Living.

8 Likes

@Amethyst yum, yum and yum again. Definitely going to try to make this sometime this week.:heart:

5 Likes

Glad you liked it! I hope it turns out well for you!

4 Likes

I was just thinking that I hadn’t seen a recipe from you in a little bit! Thank you for sharing! The men in my house LOVE :heart: Buffalo Chicken, so this may be a good option! :sparkles:

4 Likes

I hope they enjoy it! It sounds good!

3 Likes