Camphor - waxy, white crystalline material

Camphor is a pungent, white crystalline substance found in the wood of the camphor tree.
(Cinnamomum camphora) It has a strong, characteristic odor. Camphor is obtained by the process of steam distillation, purification, and sublimation of bark and wood of Cinnamomum camphora.

The word camphor comes from the Latin word camfora, which means “headache” or “to stink.” Camphor has been used for centuries as a medicinal herb to treat a variety of ailments.

In China, it has been used to treat colds, flu, and chest infections. In India, it is used to treat respiratory problems. In the Middle East, it is used to treat skin conditions.

Camphor is also used as an insecticide and as a preservative. It is used in a wide variety of products including mothballs, topical creams and balms. (It is important not to apply camphor to broken skin, because it can enter the body quickly and reach concentrations that are high enough to cause poisoning.)

Camphor is a flammable substance and can be used as a fuel for torches and lanterns. It is also used in the production of fireworks.

Camphor is considered to be a toxic substance and should be used with caution. It can be fatal if ingested in large quantities.

(Camphor hepatotoxicity - PubMed)

Camphor has a wide range of uses in witchcraft and can be used in many different ways depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Here are some ideas on how you can use camphor in your practice:

-As an offering to spirits or deities that are associated with fire, as camphor is highly flammable.

-To purify and cleanse an area or object, as camphor has strong antimicrobial and antiseptic properties.

-To ward off negative energy, evil spirits or bad luck.

-In spells or rituals for healing, protection or prosperity.

-To make a magical oil or ointment for anointing tools, candles or yourself.

-As an ingredient in spell mixes or herbal blends.

-To create a smudge stick or incense for smudging.

-To add to a bath for cleansing or relaxation.

-To make a sachet or amulet to carry with you for luck or protection.

of course with anything use caution when burning especially around children, pets and pregnant women.

Be safe!

12 Likes

I’ve ran into mentions of camphor in the context of rituals and offerings to the dark goddesses, I think Kali and Hekate at least. It’s good to know what it is, and especially the safety precautions!

Particularly this one! :flushed: Sounds like potent medicine, and from the descriptions, smells like it too. Definitely something to be handled with respect, just like our connections to the Goddesses themselves :pray: :black_heart:

9 Likes

Oh! Thank you @SilverBear, I’ve recently come across Camphor & wanted to see if it had uses within practice & associations.

The warning :warning:& toxicity :skull_and_crossbones: information is so important too! Thank you for sharing!

6 Likes

I went down a rabbit hole not too long ago about tiger balm, which traditionally has camphor as one of the key ingredients. The tiger balm they sell here in the US has a significantly smaller amount of camphor than the stuff I got in Thailand.

I realized I have to be extra careful to keep it away from eyes/ears/nose/mouth when I use it! It’s definitely not something anyone wants to ingest- just as you’ve mentioned, it really can be very toxic.

That being said, it works wonders for certain ailments- I have a little jar I keep in my apothecary pouch in my purse. It’s great for bug bites and I’ve even used it on stinky shoes in a pinch :laughing: - the smell is strong but very refreshing! :herb:

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, Silverbear!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing @SilverBear :heart: :two_hearts: :blush:

4 Likes