Can you help me identify this crystal

Hi,

Can anyone identify this stone?

Thank you

9 Likes

Hmm, the milky white part is throwing me off. Otherwise, I’d say it’s honey calcite or amber. The inclusion is interesting, too. Carnelian wouldn’t have that white in it either. I’d love to hear the answer to this one myself! Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

7 Likes

Greetings @HollyGray!

Like BrightBear, my best guess would have been Carnelian too, but let’s just say that being able to identify crystals isn’t something I can claim on my resume :sweat_smile:

But while it isn’t my area of expertise, there are numerous crystal experts in the forum who will have a solid idea for you! :gem: Tagging just a few here that come right to mind: @christina4, @Missa, @Susurrus

Whatever it is, it is a very beautiful stone! May it serve you well, Holly. Blessed be! :sparkles:

8 Likes

@HollyGray Off the top of my head either a red jasper, but I think that is more of a solid & it could be a Carnelian with quartz inclusions though. I am going to have to “zoom” on the stone a little bit.

@BrightBear I believe It could be some kind of amber though, from the pictures of Amber I have seen this is pretty close… Amber Images

@christina4 or @Missa may have a more definitive answer but without actually seeing it in person, I can be hit or miss.

@BryWisteria thank you, I try but get stumped on the reds/oranges :laughing: They always trip me up!

9 Likes

It kinda looks like my fire agate. Best to wait on the experts though.

8 Likes

Yes, I have an amber that is similar, but without the white. That’s what’s throwing me off.

8 Likes

Right? I feel like it’s a carnelian or red jasper with a quartz inclusion. But I’m not 100% in that because of the images of different types of amber I saw, but that is a tree resin, so wouldn’t have the quartz in it. I also feel like that may not be quartz, but a lighter clearer part of the stone or amber. :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for giving it a go :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: should I post another image, of the other side of the stone?

7 Likes

There’s an app for that! I use one called rock identifier. I accidentally paid for a years subscription to it (opps) but it has been so handy. I took a picture of your picture and it says carnelian agate. The description says that carnelian agate is a semi precious stone prized for its beautiful yellow orange or amber bands combined with white. This banded form consists of Carnelian and agate which are varieties of the mineral known as chalcedony. Most of these polished stones are mind and produced in Botswana. It’s beautiful!

8 Likes

Agates are one of my FAVS…I say its an Agate!

8 Likes

It looks like one that I have called Banded Agate.

7 Likes

Carnelian agate makes so much sense! it’s gorgeous either way. The reds always trip me up. I have such a hard time deciphering my carnelian from my red jasper & they both have quartz inclusions of different variations. (I used to tumble my own stones from grab bags of rough cuts) Then it looked so much like amber… but a banded carnelian agate seems spot-on for this one.

Thank you @AileyGrey! What is the name of the app that you used? If you don’t mind sharing :hugs:

6 Likes

@Susurrus, it’s called “rock identifier”. It’s very good!

7 Likes

That’s a Botswana banded carnelian :slight_smile: boosts creativty, sexuality and courage; sacral chakra

7 Likes

Thank you everyone :sunflower:the advice and thoughts are all appreciated. You guys rock… get it LOL. Anyways, have a blessed Woden’s Day!

9 Likes

AileyGrey, thank you! I love this Rock Identifier app!

6 Likes

Sooo… There’s 3 different things we could identify this as…

• Red Agate
  • Red Agate Carnelian/Red Carnelian Agate (I’ve heard them interchangeably)
  • Carnelian

All look very similar yet have slight differences and all unique.

Im going to say this is Red Agate Carnelian

“… Red agate and carnelian are both types of chalcedony, a subspecies of quartz which includes all cryptocrystalline varieties. Red agate is a semi-precious variety of chalcedony which has bands of distinct color and transparency. Carnelian is a translucent, semi-precious variety of chalcedony which has a red color as a result of colloidally dispersed hematite at the time of formation…”

“…When chalcedony is red, it is called carnelian. To be clear, when it is reddish-brown in color it is called sard. Banded forms of chalcedony are called agate. There lies the difference between these two types of chalcedony…”

Another thing is that Carnelian is a lot more on the orange side, lighter in color, and is a Sacral Chakra stone… Red Agate is more deeper in color and is a Root Chakra stone!

https://crystalsandjoy.com/red-agate-vs-carnelian/

Hope this helps! @HollyGray and thank you @BryWisteria @Susurrus for always thinking of me on crystal questions!

7 Likes

You are very welcome! When you know, you know. :wink: I’m going through smaller pieces & trying to remember which is which today with their cards & I’ll probably use pictures. Too bad I couldn’t have you here in person :joy:

5 Likes

Aww haha. Well feel free to send me a message anytime for identification help or metaphysical properties or whatever! Im more than happy to help and talk crystals anytime :grin: @Susurrus

5 Likes

@Wysteria_Norn It’s wonderful, isn’t it? I had a student (first grader) bring me a stone and ask me what it was totally out of the blue this week. It was quartz, and I knew that, but I showed him the app and my principal was laughing. She said “Of course you would have an app to identify rocks on your phone!” I mean… when you need to know, you need to know! Full disclosure: I also have a nature/animal identifier app too…. And one for birds because my youngest is a bird nerd.

8 Likes