Clarity vs. Mystery - your thoughts?

I was watching an old Joan Crawford movie on TV and one of the actors recited this verse. It fascinated me so I Googled it. It made me think how people search for and desire clarity but are fascinated and drawn to mystery. That’s about as far as I got in my thoughts because I am not especially profound :slight_smile: but I would love to hear your thoughts on this, perhaps as regards your practice, your own search for clarity or perhaps your fascination with mystery and unknown gods :slight_smile:

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: :first_quarter_moon_with_face: :first_quarter_moon_with_face:

Let mystery have its place in you;

Do not be always turning up your whole soil with the ploughshare of self-examination,

But leave a little fallow corner in your heart ready for any seed the winds may bring,

And reserve a nook of shadow for the passing bird;

Keep a place in your heart for the unexpected guests, an altar for the unknown God.

Then if a bird sing among your branches, do not be too eager to tame it.

If you are conscious of something new—thought or feeling, wakening in the depths of your being—

Do not be in a hurry to let in light upon it, to look at it;

Let the springing germ have the protection of being forgotten,

Hedge it round with quiet, and do not break in upon its darkness.

Henri Frederic Amiel

9 Likes

That is a wonderful verse. So many people want logical explanations for things, it takes the mystery out of nature.

7 Likes

I agree!
@mary25 I love mystery and to get lost in thought or even in nature!! I’ve always wandered around. I had to know what it was like to be one with nature, with myself by myself. I didn’t always have that being from the middle of 5 siblings. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Wow, I’m saving this quote. I really appreciate it, Mary!

Mystery and the unknown are the only door to knowledge and wisdom. To me, it resonated a lot with this topic that Annesha just shared in the Forum:

8 Likes

Absolutely beautiful quote, @mary25- and I agree! To think that humankind has already found all the answers, that there are no more questions worth asking, and that there is nothing left to discover- how dull that would be! :grin:

Life is far more exciting and intriguing with a bit of mystery :sparkles::blush:

7 Likes

Well, Mary your entire entry is rather profound and makes for some really deep thinking.
The first statement, I would have to see it used in context.

8 Likes

Thanks @Francisco

6 Likes

I agree. This is a very important quote.

People generally stay busy in criticizing theirs and others’ mistakes, but it is necessary for everyone to forget the real world or reality sometime and enjoy the life along with mistakes because formation of life is a mistake that happened for conflict between material nature which is temporary.

So, it is necessary to forget the material nature means reality sometime and through yourself into the den of happiness, joy and enjoyment of life which is the ultimate aim of everyone’s life.

6 Likes

Well, after much thought, you must keep yourself open to life, knowledge, mystery…but keep a small part of yourself for you (A safe zone.)

8 Likes