Creamy Asparagus and Cheddar Bake

My friend Lorraine wanted a vegetable side dish and I wanted to do something for Spring! Can you believe we’re almost to Ostara? So here’s what I found. Hope y’all enjoy it!

Creamy Asparagus and Cheddar Bake

Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 20 mins
Servings 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 lb asparagus, trimmed of woody ends
2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cup milk
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp dry powdered mustard
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups grated aged white cheddar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400° with rack in center of the oven, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.

If your asparagus is thick, blanch the asparagus in a large pan of salted water for one minute, remove and refresh in ice water, or microwave on a plate for about 90 seconds. If your asparagus is thin, you’re probably good to go as is. Divide the asparagus in half and lay on parchment on a baking sheet with the cut ends touching in the middle. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth sauce. Return to the heat, stir, and simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened.

Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolk, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Taste and add more salt, as needed. Season with freshly ground pepper.

Pour sauce over the middle of the asparagus. Top with the grated cheddar cheese.

Bake at 400 ° for 8-10 minutes, then move the rack to the upper part of the oven, switch your oven to broil and broil until the sauce is bubbly and golden.

Top with a bit more freshly ground pepper and serve immediately.

Nutrition:

Calories: 230kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 12gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 246mgPotassium: 304mgFiber: 1gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1165IUVitamin C: 4.2mgCalcium: 324mgIron: 2.2mg

Recipes courtesy of Seasons and Suppers.

5 Likes

Oooh this sounds good!
Thanks for sharing Kasie!

4 Likes

Great idea! Thank you for posting @Amethyst

3 Likes

You’re welcome @Rowan and @Susurrus! I thought it sounded like an asparagus pizza or something. Glad you liked it!

4 Likes

I can’t say that asparagus is my favorite veggie, but what doesn’t taste good covered in cheese? :yum: :cheese: :joy: Thanks for the tasty recipe, @Amethyst!

3 Likes

I’ve never tried asparagus, it’s not in my price range. But if I was to try it this would be the recipe. Its like an asparagus pizza. LOL. Glad you liked it!

3 Likes

I assure you that you aren’t missing out on anything, my friend :laughing: :+1: It’s icky. But imo, even worse than the regular green asparagus is the white asparagus. If you ever have the chance to try it… don’t :joy: Go for the normal pizza instead! :yum::pizza:

2 Likes

It’s always smelled horrid to me, and looked like little green … well, I won’t say. LOL. Glad I’m not missing anything.

2 Likes