Creamy Egg Strata

Creamy Egg Strata

total: 10 hrs 10 mins
hands-on: 35 mins
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients:

1/2 (16-oz.) French bread loaf, cubed (about 5 cups)
6 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sour cream
8 large eggs, lightly beaten
Garnish: chopped fresh chives

Directions:

Step 1

Place bread cubes in a well-buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter, and drizzle over bread cubes. Sprinkle with cheeses.

Step 2

Melt the remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Whisk in broth and the next 4 ingredients until blended. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3

Gradually whisk about one-fourth of the hot sour cream mixture into eggs; add egg mixture to the remaining sour cream mixture, whisking constantly. Pour mixture over cheese in the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for 8 to 24 hours.

Step 4

Let strata stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 350°. Remove plastic wrap, and bake 30 minutes or until set. Serve immediately.

Recipe courtesy of Southern Living.

9 Likes

This sounds like something that would be good for a weekend breakfast or to make & then cube & freeze for quick breakfasts throughout the week! Thank you! :heart: :yum:

6 Likes

You’re welcome! It’s a brunch recipe and I thought a lot of people may want something like that this time of year. I hadn’t thought about freezing it and having it later, that sounds good!

5 Likes

The chickens are cranking out about 5 eggs everyday- we’re having to be pretty creative about ways to use them! :laughing: :egg:

I can’t say I’ve ever made a Strata before- gonna have to look into it! Thank you for the recipe and fun idea, @Amethyst :heart:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! Hopefully, you can use up some of those eggs!

4 Likes

This sounds delicious! I can almost smell it cooking now :yum:

5 Likes

Glad you liked it!

4 Likes