Crystals Galore! What's your favorite?!

I can’t choose just one. But I am attracted to blues and greens the most. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yes it’s all tigers eye. I learned that in school. I had no clue about it being toxic when I bought all of mine. You should be fine just wash hands after touching and wear a mask if breaking it.

3 Likes

Oh please be super careful! That’s a highly toxic one!

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I had planned to ask a friend to drill a hole into the cinnabar so I could put it on a string. Not gonna do that now. It’s in the form of a pendant with a dragon on it. I wonder how they carved it without falling over? Thanks again for the warning!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your knowledge about crystals, @Christina4- I agree, sellers should most definitely include a note of warning when selling crystals with toxic properties! :astonished:

Such a gorgeous collection, @magissa :heart_eyes: I love the mix of shapes and colors- you have a lovely balance between tumbled and natural stones. They are so pretty to see! :sparkles:

5 Likes

This topic by @SilverBear (and the links!) is my go-to when it comes to crystal toxicity

I already knew about cinnabar, but tiger’s eye was a new one to me, even as it was there on the list… and to think it’s a very common power crystal too! Looks like another occasion where my intuition / Goddess protected me, even as I love big and small cats I felt kinda funny about getting one! Thank you @christina4 :cat:

Also thank you @MeganB for the eye opening articles about the ethics of crystal mining… not very uplifting reading but definitely good to know. I had a little personal crisis about if I can still enjoy crystals, still didn’t reach a full conclusion except that at the very least I’ll be very sparing about getting new ones. But then I’ve already just picked a few ones that have been calling out to me. To me there’s not really any point if I can feel no connection.

3 Likes

Unfortunately very few sellers know their chain of supply beyond two or more levels. Like Megan said, I don’t think crystals are ever ethically harvested these days.

If you live near a river there’s a good chance you will find crystals such as amethyst, quartz and others. For example:

7 Likes

When I first started with crystals, I would only get obsidian and only then it would need a certificate saying it came from accessible lava fields and was ethically prepared. I still hate the thought of people potentially harming themselves for my benefit. Gold, coal, and diamond are other minerals that cause so much damage when mined, too.

But… :upside_down_face:

Now that I am building a collection, I soothe my conscience knowing:

1. my magic brings peace and clarity to my friends and family.
  2. I am buying from mom and pop stores which helps them stay in business.
  3. my cell phone and other electronics are just as bad, if not worse, on miners, assemblers, and the earth.

Unless I want to give up electronics, helium for my kids’ balloons, and electricity in the State I live in… all to stay consistent… may as well embrace it all? :man_shrugging:t4: I don’t know.

As for the danger related to the stones? Many nonliving things from under the ground appear to be dangerous to humans and we should assume they should not go near our food, drinking water, or become pastes for our skin. If we treat them with respect in our practices, I believe we will be fine.

@Neptune, I love your crystal collection and I am totally jealous. :sweat_smile: I love working with bloodstone, nuummite, and amethyst. I have many crystals but I like to display my red, blue, and green goldstone because they are gorgeous in the candle light.

I don’t think you should feel guilty or unsafe when working with your crystals and I hope to have such a lovely collection some day.

6 Likes

Thank you for your reassurance @praecog29 :relieved: :two_hearts:

My girlfriend made a similar note about ethical consumption in general… of course it’s good to try our best to pick the most ethical choice if at all possible but it shouldn’t be over our mental health, and it shouldn’t break our budget either if it’s something necessary. And if it helps us to give joy and comfort to those around us in any way, including indirectly through us feeling better, you better believe it’s worth it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria! I have severe OCD and which caused me to spend 3 hours arranging these. I ended up leaving them on my floor for 3 days until I could figure out how to arrange them around the house… Yes, it is a HUGE rose quartz! It was actually my first crystal purchase! On my first visit to my supply shop, I kept bumping into it and decided it must be a sign!

4 Likes

@MeganB thank you for the information! I absolutely love learning in general, even more when it is about something I am passionate about!

5 Likes

@praecog29 I think I am right there with you! I buy from one shop which is owned by a single mom from Russia! She drives out of state once a month to replenish her crystals! She also takes special order requests at that time and will try to find me whatever I ask for! I definitely plan to ask her for more information about her supplier though! Also, don’t be jealous, be inspired! It has taken me a long time to acquire my collection, especially since I like to make jewelry with them for gifting! My collection has helped a dear friend conceive after years of trying!

5 Likes

I definitely don’t see anything wrong with enjoying crystals still. There are many different sources for ethically mined crystals, plus you always have the option of stepping outside your front door and figuring out what is naturally occurring around you!

As others have mentioned, too, it’s about ethical consumption and only you can make that decision for yourself :heart:

4 Likes

I want to share my beauties I acquired on my birthday and my trip to ID :smiley:

Labradorite is totally the crystal for me. I use this one with my tarot cards and then I have a smaller one I carry with me daily.

Can’t not have Amethyst of course!

My sister gave me this cluster

It is so hard taking a picture that really captures it’s beauty!

Everyone has such a beautiful collection!
I love their energies and how they have that ability to change a mood instantly.

6 Likes

Oh wow! They’re all wonderful but I’m envious over the amethyst! That looks great!

4 Likes

Thank you! I’ve had a couple smaller pieces but I didn’t have a strong connection with Amethyst until I was gifted her.

4 Likes

Loving that cluster your sister gave you, very cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Your girlfriend summed this very complex issue up well, @CelestiaMoon! Thinking about the ethics of crystals opens the door to the ethics of… well, like @praecog29 mentioned- just about everything else :sweat_smile: . It can quickly become a spiral of guilt that can be a nightmare for mental health.

I think it’s important to stay educated and aware, trying our best to do what we can while also understanding and respecting our own limitations and needs. It’s okay to find both pleasure and comfort in our treasures :sparkling_heart:

What a way to start a collection- it is gorgeous, @Neptune! :heart_eyes: I imagine that as your first crystal it will always have a special place in your heart :blush:

An amazing find, @Janelle! Gosh that Labradorite is out-of-this-world, the colors are so intense :star_struck: You’ve got some beautiful new treasures, enjoy! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Aw crap I just noticed that I spelled Damien’s last name wrong…dang autocorrect!!!

5 Likes

:laughing:

From Cool Funny Quotes

I just fixed it for you :wink:

7 Likes