Disposal of spell remains

Does anyone have any suggestions for disposing of remainders after the completion of a spell as a closeted witch?

4 Likes

The answer to this is going to depend on a few different factors…

1. What is the purpose of the spell?
  2. What are the ingredients?
  3. What are you current options?

If the spell is meant to banish something or otherwise push something away from you, you will want to dispose of the spell remainders in a place far away from your home. This can include disposing of it in a dumpster that is then going to the landfill, but I would just make sure that the remainders wouldn’t sit in your own garbage can for too long.

If the spell is meant to bring something to you - or any other reason than the one above - it should be acceptable to dispose of the remainders in your garbage can.

I also ask what the ingredients are because some spell remainders can be given back to Earth depending on what they are. For example, ashes can be blown on the wind, most papers can be buried in the Earth, and food can often be left out as long as it doesn’t pose a threat to the local wildlife. Just remember, never bury something or leave something out if it will not degrade/decompose or if it will threaten the local animals and plants.

The last question I ask because sometimes you don’t have many options and you simply have to go with what’s available to you. If the remainder is safe to flush down the toilet or sink, that may be an option. Again, blowing ash to the wind is also a safe bet so long as the ashes are 100% cooled off - let’s not start fires accidentally!

Remember to take into account all factors of your spellwork and then dispose of it in a way that is fitting to the nature of the spell - but also in a way that works for what you have available to you.

10 Likes

this is just candle remains from a spell to bring success, from what I read the garbage can would be fine?

2 Likes

melt the wax down and keep it.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can toss it. Is it just little wax remains or a full on candle?

2 Likes

its actually just the drippings left over from a burnt chime candle I just did a basic candle spell so it cant be more than a handful

2 Likes

Thanks Roxanne, I was considering this as well, they are still sitting by my altar as I am still undecided on what to actually do with them! hahaha

1 Like

As a new practitioner, I wasn’t sure what to do with the “remains”. I’ve actually been collecting them. I really liked the idea of having the ashes blown in the wind. I tend to use incense sticks. So yesterday I actually went into my backyard and blew them out into the universe. It was such a nice feeling. The sticks itself went into my compost. :slight_smile: @Trey thank you for asking the question :smiley:

3 Likes

No problem Ana, I am fairly new as well, so for me everyday is a learning experience

1 Like

I do the same thing!! I just connect with Air so well in every level. Sometimes just standing outside and listening to the wind can deliver lots of messages…

1 Like

I actually have done and still do the same. I stop and “listen” to the breeze or wind. Yesterday, I went for a 10 km walk in a nearby green-space (like a small wooded/forest area). The breeze was rustling the top of the trees forcing me to stop and look up. The sun shining through the leaves was simply gorgeous. So many different tones of green and pockets of blue skies peeking through. I felt at peace…then the mosquitoes decided “yummm lunch is served” so had to move quickly :smiley: I too feel connected with the Air…it’s amazing to see how nature moves with just the slightest breeze. Believe it or not, I also love hearing the wind howl in the dead of winter too. Okay, I can go on and on about nature :star_struck: :blush:

2 Likes

I see no problem then just tossing the remains in the trash. Unless, of course, you want to save them to make another candle as @roxanne has suggested! This is something I do sometimes, too.

2 Likes

Hi Trey. Yes, you said it perfectly “every day is a learning experience”. :slight_smile: I am happy to know that I’m not the only one!

4 Likes

This sounds so lovely, Ana! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: You have a very strong connection with nature- and when you write it’s like I can feel the warm sun rays and gentle breeze too! :sunrise_over_mountains:

Although goodness yes, it’s mosquito season now! There seems to be so many of them here- even in the city :confounded: :mosquito:.

One of my favorite little shops, the Cape Cod Lavender Farm sells an all-natural herbal bug repellant called “Dune Not Bite” that works wonders.

It’s a mix of:
-witch hazel
-lavender
-grapefruit
-geranium
-lemongrass
-cinnamon

I brought a bottle with me to Europe, but I’m almost out! I’ve been meaning to gather the ingredients and try to create my own version :test_tube:. I highly recommend something like this to keep those nasty mosquitos away- so you can enjoy your serene nature walks in peace! :bouquet: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip :hugs:. I will check to see if I can purchase a bottle online. Depending of course on the shipping and exchange rates. If I find that it’s too costly, I will try to see if I can make my own. As I write this, decided to make my own. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

How is your new home? Hoping everything went smoothly with your move!

1 Like

I have a rule of thumb about witchy remains–
If it is baneful workings, something you want to get away from you, or something you don’t want back in your face, take the remains and go for a drive as far away as you can, and bury them…
If it is a drawing ritual, a healing one etc…bury them in your flowerpot to keep close to you.
I never dispose of any in any garbage… don’t know who may touch or find them, and sometimes garbage comes back closer to be disposed of.
Just my take on things.

All of my offerings to my Gods and Goddesses, are taken out to my trees and put around the base of them, and I ask them to please accept this…
That is just me. Any other ideas???

5 Likes

Those all seem like great ideas @roxanne - especially taking the remains of baneful magick as far away from you as you can. I always advise, though, that you don’t bury anything that won’t break down and decompose. That’s just the environmentalist in me lol

4 Likes

Roxanne,
Those are all very good ideas and the post was very informative, there are a lot of questions I had about this and between you and Megan they have all been answered, thank you both so very much!

3 Likes

What types of things would you use in spells or ritual that are not natural products?

1 Like

Some oils and waxes will not typically decompose and instead seep into the earth. Some people like to bury glass jars. Just because something is considered natural doesn’t mean it is biodegradable or good for the earth and soil.

3 Likes