Dragon Magick: Wulong Tea, Leviathan, and Chinese Dragons

Continuing the discussion from :trophy: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Catch-Up! [Challenge #200]:

For this challenge entry, I’ll be discussing Wulong tea, followed by an exploration of Leviathan and Chinese dragons, all while enjoying a cup of Wulong tea myself.

Wulong Tea 烏龍茶

Also known as oolong, wulong is a traditional semi-oxidised Chinese tea known for its diverse flavours, ranging from sweet and fruity to woody and roasted, depending on its production style. Originating primarily from Fujian, Guangdong, and Taiwan, wulong teas undergo a unique process involving withering, oxidation, curling, and twisting. They are celebrated for their complexity, bridging the characteristics of both green and black teas. Popular varieties include Da Hong Pao and Tieguanyin. Wulong tea is also notable for containing caffeine and unique compounds called teaghrelins.

Two of the wulong tea that I have are Alishan 阿里山 and Dong Ding 凍頂.

Alishan wulong tea is a typical Taiwanese tea produced in the mountain area of Jiayi 嘉義 County. This particular tea comes from a garden where the sea level is around 1000 to 1600 metres. There are actually two types of Alishan wulong Tea: Jinxuan 金萱 and Qingxin 青心 wulong tea, and mine is the former.

Dong Ding wulong tea is another typical representative of Taiwanese tea, produced in the Dong Ding Mountain area in Fenghuang 鳳凰 Village (Phoenix Village) at about 600 to 900 metres above sea level. Dong Ding means “frozen peak”, which describes the nature of the landscape in this part of Taiwan. There’s a fun blog post on picking tea in this area here:

Leviathan

In the context of my studies with the Temple of Ascending Flame, Leviathan is also known by her ancient names: Tiamat, Typhon, Dagon, Lotan, Tietan, Yamm, Rahab, Nahar, and Tannin. They say that Leviathan is derived from Hebrew, meaning “that which gathers itself into folds” or “that which is drawn out,” and is a water serpent depicted in various forms throughout different traditions.

[Tiamat | Goddess, Dragon, Mythology, & Popular Culture | Britannica]

In Christian sources such as the Old Testament and apocryphal texts, Leviathan is portrayed as a formidable sea beast, ranging from a serpent, dragon, or crocodile to a whale. The Old Testament describes Leviathan as a monstrous adversary of Yahweh, possessing a body of immense length and fiery breath that boils the waters.

[Leviathan in Revelation – Jamin Bradley]

Rabbinical literature and gnostic texts also mention Leviathan, often alongside her male counterpart, Behemoth. Leviathan’s eyes are said to shine with an eerie light, described as “like the eyelids of the dawn.” In medieval biblical art, Leviathan is frequently depicted carrying the Antichrist, symbolising her role as a source of infernal power.

[Leviathan – The Truth Project of Salisbury Md.]

In the Draconian Path, Leviathan acts as an intermediary between Lilith and Lucifer, forming a triad which represents the union of opposites. Michael Aquino in The Diabolicon describes Leviathan as the primordial principle of continuity and ageless existence, a force that predates all creation. Some view Leviathan as the Anima Mundi, the soul of the world, embodying both chaos and divine potential within the human psyche.

Through the Temple’s gnosis, Leviathan is seen as the binding force between the astral and physical bodies, symbolising self-mastery through dynamic change. She represents both the internal and external aspects of the divine, connecting the individual to the primal source of all creation and destruction. Through immersion in the depths of the unconscious, dreams, and visions, practitioners can access Leviathan’s power, fostering the transformation of their consciousness.

Leviathan is also revered by them in the context of the Cosmic Dragon, where she is seen as the Primal Serpent coiled around the universe. This concept aligns Leviathan with other serpent deities such as Tiamat, the Babylonian Mother Goddess of Chaos, who is the primal matter and Womb of Chaos. Tiamat’s legend, as presented in the Babylonian Enuma Elish, positions her as the archetype of the Outer Dragon, embodying the chaotic and creative forces of the cosmos.

[https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZeZgxm]

In practical rituals and meditations, Leviathan is invoked through chants and visualisations to awaken the Dragon’s Fire within the practitioner. This process involves deep meditative states and the use of symbolic imagery, such as a hexagram and the coiled serpent rising from the heart chakra or Anahata, to activate and harness Leviathan’s transformative power. The goal is to achieve a state of heightened consciousness, embracing both the destructive and creative aspects of the Dragon.

Chinese Dragons & Leviathan

Chinese dragons, known as long 龍, symbolise power, strength, and good luck, and are often seen as benevolent creatures associated with water, rain, and the heavens. They are beautiful, auspicious beings.

These dragons share some attributes with Leviathan, as both are associated with water, creation, and primal chaos, but they manifest in somewhat distinct ways. Chinese dragons are regarded as rulers of water and weather, controlling rainfall, rivers, and oceans, thereby ensuring agricultural prosperity. Leviathan represents the chaotic and destructive power of the sea, as well as the chaotic waters from which the cosmos emerged.

[The powerful role of dragons in Chinese mythology - History Skills]

Chinese dragons are seen as creators and protectors, embodying the harmonious balance of the universe. Leviathan symbolises the primal chaos and continuity that predates creation and represents the raw, undifferentiated chaos that births creation.

In Chinese mythology, dragons are often depicted as guardians of cosmic order, much like the role Leviathan plays in its mythology. Chinese dragons act as guardians of the heavens, symbols of imperial power, and protectors against evil spirits. Leviathan, similarly, is the guardian of the depths, representing the boundary between the known and the unknown, and the protector of the chaotic forces, embodying the raw potential from which creation springs.

[https://www.echineselearning.com/blog/chinese-character-long-dragon]

The invocation of dragon energies in both Chinese and Draconian traditions often involves rituals that aim to harness their power for personal transformation and protection. Chinese rituals, such as dragon dances, offerings, and ceremonies during festivals like the Dragon Boat Festival, aim to invoke dragon blessings for rain, prosperity, and protection.

[Dragon Dance and Lion Dance_Study In China]

In the Draconian Path, rituals invoking Leviathan involve deep meditative states, visualisation of dragon imagery, and chanting to connect with the primal forces of chaos and creation.

Thus, I conclude this entry by spending some time at my Ancestor Altar.

The first photo showcases a small dragon statuette, symbolising strength, wisdom, and prosperity.

In this second photo, I’m burning incense in a holder adorned with both a dragon and a phoenix, honouring the majestic Dragons of the world.

Finally, I’d like to share a Dragon playlist that I’ve created for myself:

18 Likes

I’ve bookmarked this to come back to when I have a bit more brain space :heart:

10 Likes

I like dragons thankyou for sharing

9 Likes

Love dragons! I started collecting them when I was in high school and continued to acquire more when we visited Hong Kong.

Bookmarking and rereading in the morning when my brain is working again! :dragon:

9 Likes

Beautiful :heart_eyes: :star_struck:, have bookmarked your lovely work. Thabks for being you

10 Likes

It’s 6:53 in the morning, i’ve yet to imbibe coffee, and I’m not sure that I’m really awake enough for deep thinking yet, but this part right here really resonates with me. I come from a strong Christian background and so Leviathan has always been scary - but this paragraph doesn’t evoke fear… power, yes… mystery, yes… perhaps wisdom… I like it and I’m going to think more on it!

10 Likes

This is a wonderful post @starborn – I love the way you’ve connected both what you’re learning and doing now with the cultural influences of China!

Also, reading your post reminded me of a Studio Ghibli movie called Spirited Away with both dragons and a dragon-like river spirit! :dragon: :ocean:

7 Likes

That movie is one my most favorite

8 Likes

One of mine, too. He was a beautiful dragon!

hug-spirited

8 Likes

I might just watch that when I get home today and the movies fireworks,and weathering with you

7 Likes

Got a favourite? :smile:

I remember when I was a kid, I thought the dragon from Dragonheart was really cool because he was huge and breathed fire. But Mushu from Mulan was the funniest. :rofl:

That’s awesome! :heart_eyes: Do you still have your collection? (Apologies if you’ve shared it recently. I’ve been so focused on getting my own challenge stuff done since coming back from camp that I haven’t really been across what everyone else is up to. :grimacing:)

Aww! And thank you for being you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I know that feeling. :rofl: Unfortunately, imbibing coffee in the morning puts me straight back to sleep.

Ooh. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love that you may be releasing yourself from a fear. You’re more than welcome to share your thoughts should you return to the subject. (Or if you shared them elsewhere already, please point me in that direction. :rofl: I’m so behind with the rest of the forum.)

Thank you! I’ve been trying to tie more of my cultural heritage into my work. But I’m so mixed that it can be quite the challenge. :rofl:

Ah, yes! The first Chinese dragon looks like Haku. :silver_heart: If he got really angry and big. :rofl:

[Haku is…Chihiro’s dead brother? Studio Ghibli fans blown away by Spirited Away theory | SoraNews24 -Japan News-]

He was! It took me a while to grow accustomed to the almost serpentine deer-like nature of these kinds of dragons. But I love them now. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

I didn’t know much about Leviathan, but you’ve certainly piqued by interest! Thank you so much for this amazing exploration of tea and dragons (two awesome topics, made even better when brought together!) :teapot: :dragon: :blush:

Thank you for this awesome entry, @starborn! :sparkles:

8 Likes

[[Haku is…Chihiro’s dead brother? ]

Took them long enough to figure out that one! Did anybody see Baba Yaga?

Living humans are pigs- it’s not just Circe talking, here. The zombie look on Chihiro’s parents’ faces are caused by the food itself- getting lost in the delights of human life so they are unaware of the spirit world all around them.

8 Likes

I love spirited away as well.

9 Likes

I do! Thank you for asking, made me pull some of them out of storage and I found a couple of other cool things I forgot I still had (5 different mini Buddha figures and a little box of Guatemalan trouble dolls.)

To avoid taking up too much space I’ll put them in

here

She’s dusty and needs a bath.

9 Likes

Those are so freakin’ cool. :astonished: :star_struck: And the variety of materials. What are the first, third, and fourth ones made of?

8 Likes

I had no idea. :rofl: But then I watched this when I was 13, and I didn’t think much about movies then. #excuses :rofl:

Yes! :heart_eyes: I think??

Ah, one thing I can say my young self did actually get out of that. :rofl:

8 Likes

Just thought I take a pic that matches the title of this post

11 Likes

I like it! And the dragon is nice. Is that jade?? :green_heart:

8 Likes

Yea Chinatown here sold that to me for like 10 USD

8 Likes