Eggs for Ostara 🪺

One of the traditional foods associated with Ostara and the Spring Equinox is eggs! During this time of year, many witches and pagans spend time decorating their altars with eggs, even decorating eggs themselves with varying colors in many different shades.

The Symbolic Egg

We see eggs often during Spring, and the time leading up to Ostara and the Spring Equinox is no different. This is for good reason! Eggs hold great symbology for this time of year. They are a symbol of fertility and protection, both strong themes around the Northern Hemisphere. The birds are flitting through the skies, singing away and reminding us that better days are ahead.

Eggs on your Ostara Altar can symbolize…

• Fertility
  • Protection
  • Springtime
  • Abundance
  • Growth
  • New Life
  • Beginnings

A Ritual For Growth

I wrote this simple spell based on an activity I did with my daughter last year. Rather than dying eggs and potentially wasting them, we instead took to the drawing board with our crayons! This spell is meant to be a symbolic reminder of your goals for growth as well as a magickal boost to the work you are already doing.

You will need…

• the egg printable (see below)
  • three different colors of crayon, marker, pencil, etc.

Step One: Print The Printable

This printed egg is the representation of our growth. It has been “decorated” with different designs that we will color in. If you do not have a printer or you would rather draw your own egg, that is okay, too! Just be sure you have the egg because that symbology is important for this ritual.

Print this image for the ritual - click on it to make it bigger.

Step Two: Choose Your Colors And Goals

This spell works best if we focus on no more than three goals - better if the goals are all related in some way, but that is not necessary. It is also important for each goal to be positive in nature. We are working with abundance magick here so we want to call things into our lives rather than banish them. Each goal should be associated with a different color, as well. For example, if you have “get stronger” and “eat good food” as goals, each one should be given a different color.

Step Three: Color The Egg

Take a few moments to ground and center yourself, preparing for the spell. There are no words to be said for this spell. We will use our visualization skills and draw on the sympathetic magick of the symbols we are using. Color the egg in whatever way feels right to you, using the different colors you have chosen to represent your goals. As you color the egg, visualize yourself reaching these goals in as much detail as possible.

Remember, you do not have to “see” the goal. If you have trouble visualizing, check out this post on witching with aphantasia – no mind’s eye? No problem!

What is Aphantasia
Witching with Aphantasia - No Mind’s Eye & Can’t Visualize!

Step Four: Find A Spot

Now that you have the egg finished, it is time to put it up in your home. It should be placed somewhere that you will see it every day. You might choose to place it on your desk, on your wall, or even in your car. It is important to put it somewhere you won’t forget about. Seeing it every day is a reminder of the goals you have set! At this point, set it and let the symbol of the egg help you reach your goals.

If you try this spell, I hope you’ll let me know how it goes! May we all work with the growing abundance energy of the coming Spring! :egg: :hibiscus:

26 Likes

I have a pretty picture frame I turned into a white board! I’ll draw some eggs on that or paint some on pretty paper!

16 Likes

That sounds like a great plan! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

I have two main goals. To be self sustaining and independent. The lesser goal is to make sure Albus Bird is taken care of in the process because some possible paths would lead to losing him as a pet and friend.

Rust for Albus, the same shade as his beak and cheeks.
Infinity symbols for sustaining.
Polka dots for independence.

15 Likes

What a lovely spell! And this would be great for little witches! Thanks for sharing!

13 Likes

Those are great goals :heart: I hope you have fun with this spell!

Yes! This is perfect for kids and little witches, too :revolving_hearts:

13 Likes

This is such a cute and fun spell! And I love the egg too :egg: :sparkles:

Thank you so much, Megan - Happy Ostara! :partying_face: :seedling:

12 Likes

This is awesome! Gonna do this with my kiddos and their cousins today! Best part is its witchy without being in your face, not all of my family is ok with witchcraft. Thank you!:heart:

13 Likes

I love it! I cannot wait to do this spell. When I woke up this morning, I was just thinking, Ostara is here and I want to do something special. This fits the bill! Plus, my word, the cherry blossoms here popped just in time for Ostara :slight_smile: i mean, they are so lush, it’s like they are showing off :slight_smile: It’s going to be an absolutely gorgeous, although a little chilly, springy Equinox in DC and VA. So, will also take a walk…

11 Likes

I used your printable Ostara egg!
I colored it Pink for balance in my yoga practice and in my spiritual life, Blue for protection during sleep and healing, and Green for healing of the solar plexus. Before 11:06 pm ET I will have it on my altar along with the rabbit and 3 eggs I made from the Canon Creative Park website.
I will be consecrating my latest enchanted bookmark for Balance that is stuffed with a powder of maple leaf, basil, sage, morning glory seed, and mint.

Now I just have to figure out how it is all going to fit on the altar. :pensive:
Thanks for the idea!

12 Likes

@BryWisteria – Happy Ostara to you, too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Kyrstyn – I hope you all had fun! It’s one of those witchy-but-not-obvious activities we can do. People won’t look at you funny for coloring! :joy:

@mary25 – Hooray! I hope you have fun with it :revolving_hearts: A walk sounds lovely. It’s overcast and chilly up here in Maine, but I’ve got my curtains open to at least see some of the blue sky lol

@bj1 – What a beautiful ritual to do! :revolving_hearts: Seeing as it’s now after 1pm ET, I hope you had a wonderful time consecrating your bookmark and working the spell!

Admittedly, I have yet to do the spell :sweat_smile: I have no idea where the crayons are and my kiddo is at school. When she gets home I think we’ll do this together!

12 Likes

Happy Ostara!

Can I share how smart my bird is?

I got Albus up, this morning, telling him about the holiday, that we could burn colored candles and Sandalwood incense, and listen to my usual witchy music for the morning. Then I wanted to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as my usual holiday celebration while I ate some chocolate.

After morning rituals, I was ready for a nap. Albus let me rest. Then I went to get myself some lunch. I watched the tail end of a movie I hadn’t finished the night before, and Albus sang and sang. I still wasn’t done with lunch, so I watched an Easter themed comic. Albus continued to have fits. This is quite odd for my little bird: he’s usually quietly listening to anything I want to watch while I eat in another room.

As I pulled out my chocolate bunny for dessert, I turned on Willy Wonka. Sudden silence from the bedroom and bird cages! This tiny finch remembered the movie I like to watch from a year ago and wouldn’t rest until I turned it on! I didn’t know their memory was that long!

9 Likes

Thanks @MeganB!

We had some farm eggs that needed to be used up so I boiled 9 of them today.
Tomorrow I will colour them and set the goals. At least I hope tomorrow. I have been feeling tired and under the weather so I hope I am not catching anything or if I have, that it doesn’t stay too long!

9 Likes

Sending you healing energy, dear!

8 Likes

That is really sweet. I like your symbols too.
Also your bird sounds really smart. :grinning:

Nice @Sivonnah. I look forward to pics if you are going to share.

@Kyrstyn i hope you had a great day today with you kids and their cousins!

Ohhh, enjoy the cherry blossoms @mary25. They are so pretty!

@bj1 I :two_hearts: love your bunny and eggs!!!

11 Likes

Thank you @georgia !! That is so sweet of you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

@georgia What a fabulous bird :bird:

7 Likes

You absolutely always can! :clap: :bird: I may not be a bird person, but I love that YOU’RE a bird person!

I love that Albus remembered that movie and wouldn’t be quiet until you turned it on. It’s like it was his way of reminding you to watch it for yourself, too!

You’re welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you’re not catching anything, either. That would be zero fun just in time for Spring. I hope your egg dying adventure went well :rainbow:

9 Likes

@bj1 they’re fantastic! :blush:

@georgia Gotta love Albus! :two_hearts::blush:

@Phoenix_Rose I hope you feel better soon :heart::people_hugging:

8 Likes

In the Byzantine Catholic tradition, we dyed 2 eggs red and will speak our goals to the egg and leave it on my living room altar tonight. Of course there will be candles and incense lol. It’s time for our evening meditation.

Happy Ostara. :revolving_hearts: :tada:

8 Likes