Elderberries & A Decoction for Immunity and Antiviral properties

Elderberries, derived from the Elderflower bush (Sambucus nigra) and its variants, are a fascinating and versatile fruit. The elder plant, recognised for its delicate, creamy white flowers, blossoms in summer. These flowers transform into dark berries as late summer turns to autumn. Both the flowers and berries of this plant have long been cherished in herbal medicine, with the berries being processed into various forms such as decoctions, tinctures, gummies, and syrups.

[source]

The Benefits of Elderberry

Elderberries are renowned for their potent impact against cold and flu viruses. They work in several ways to combat these illnesses and alleviate their symptoms:

• Antiviral Properties: Studies have shown that elderberries can prevent viruses from entering cells, thereby halting their replication. Even if a virus has infected the cells, elderberries can inhibit the release of the virus, helping to prevent its spread to other cells.
  • Boosting Immunity: Elderberries are rich in flavonoids, compounds that stimulate the immune system, enhancing the body’s capacity to fight off the cold and flu viruses.
  • Reducing Inflammation: These berries are effective in soothing inflammation, offering relief from sore throats and joint pain.

Using Elderberries Safely and Effectively

Consuming raw elderberries can be risky due to their content of hydrocyanic acid (HCN), a toxic substance that may cause nausea and vomiting. While some individuals have eaten raw elderberries without adverse effects, others may be more sensitive. Therefore, cooking the berries is advised to deactivate the toxins. Boiling elderberries for at least 30 minutes is recommended, making syrups and decoctions safer methods of consumption.

The effectiveness of elderberries in combating cold and flu symptoms is somewhat short-lived, lasting about 2 to 3 hours. Consequently, regular dosing is crucial during an infection. If a decoction preparation yields 700ml, a typical dose would be 10ml, which should be taken every 2-3 hours during waking hours for maximum benefit.

Elderberry Decoction Recipe

I recently prepared an elderberry decoction for its immunity-boosting and antiviral benefits. This simple yet delicious recipe is enhanced with raw honey. Here’s how to make it:

Ingredients:

• 200g dried elderberries
  • 900ml water
  • 200g honey

Instructions:

1. Combine the berries and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Use the back of a spoon to lightly mash the berries.
  3. Strain the mixture through a sieve lined with muslin or cheesecloth into a measuring jug, aiming for a total of 560ml. If short, top up with boiling water.
  4. Allow the liquid to cool to 35°C (95°F) or lower before adding the honey and stirring well.
  5. Transfer the mixture into sterilised glass bottles and refrigerate.

This elderberry decoction is quite concentrated and can be diluted in warm water for a soothing drink. Alternatively, it can be taken directly by the tablespoon, added to ice cream, or used in various other culinary creations.

Using Fresh Elderberries

Fresh elderberries can certainly be used in your decoction preparation. It’s important to note that fresh elderberries contain approximately 80% water by weight. Therefore, to substitute for 200g of dried elderberries, you would need about 1000g of fresh elderberries. This also means adjusting the water content in the recipe: instead of adding 900ml of water, you would only need to add 200ml.

This adjustment ensures the decoction maintains the correct consistency and concentration of flavours.

Incorporating Additional Herbs

The basic elderberry decoction, with its singular herbal component, is both effective and delightful. However, personalising it by adding other herbs can enhance its taste and health benefits.

While I typically prefer the simplicity of using just one herb, there are times when combining elderberry decoction with other herbal extracts, such as echinacea tincture or olive leaf extract, can be beneficial. Below are some popular additions:

• Ginger: Known for its ability to combat the cold virus, warm the body, and alleviate nausea, ginger is a fantastic addition. To incorporate, add 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger at the beginning of the recipe, along with the elderberries.
  • Cinnamon: This spice not only adds a warm flavour but also brings antiviral and antioxidant properties to the mix. Include 2 crushed cinnamon sticks at the start of the cooking process with the elderberries.
  • Rosehip: Exceptionally high in Vitamin C, rosehip can be a nutritious addition. Add 50 grams of rosehip after you have finished simmering and turned off the heat. Cover the pot and let it sit for 10 minutes before straining.
11 Likes

I haven’t had the pleasure of working directly with Elderberry, but it’s on my list to try! I’ve taken elderberry syrup before, but never anything homemade - just the store-bought stuff. I’ve heard it’s great for the immune system!

9 Likes

It’ll be great for the cold weather in the northern hemisphere. :smile:

This was the first decoction I ever made and it was well worth it. :black_heart:

6 Likes

Elderberries! :raised_hands: :heart_eyes:

It’s absolutely divine as a syrup- we’ve had some in the past that we pour over pancakes! I don’t know if it’s healthier than maple syrup in terms of sugar content (doubtful), but it does offer all of the medicinal benefits of the elderberry. And it’s delicious! :yum:

I really like your decoration recipe here with the honey- I think using honey is better than the white sugar I’ve used (as honey has its own wonderful benefits and flavors! :honey_pot: :two_hearts: )

This is awesome, @starborn- thank you so much for sharing your elderberry wisdom! :purple_heart: :blush:

6 Likes

Know what’s frustrating? Locating Elderberry bushes in the spring and then not being able to find them later when you go back to look for them! :laughing:

I’m going to make a better effort this year to forage and find plants and them GPS mark them on my phone so I can go back and find them later for berries.

4 Likes

There are a few places in the area we’re moving to that have elderberries on their farms. I’m sure I can find some wild elderberries, too, and I’m excited for that, too! :clap: :heart:

5 Likes

That’s brilliant! :star_struck: You could tie a small piece of colored yarn or twine on the branches too-that way the GPS will get you back to the right spot, and the mark would make rediscovering the right plant easy-peasy :grinning:

Happy foraging, Artemisia! :sparkles:

4 Likes