Elderberry Syrup

Elderberry Syrup - Take a teaspoon or 2 when you feel under the weather or anytime you want to support your immune system.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp dried elderberries
1 Tbsp dried ginger pieces
1 Tbsp cinnamon chips
1 cup of water
Honey
Optional: Vodka or Brandy to increase shelf life

Directions:
Fill a small soup pot with the water and add the dry ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and allow the concoction to steep for 30 minutes.

When it has reached room temperature, pour the brew through a double layer of cheesecloth into a pourable container. Squeeze all the liquid out of the herbs. Add honey and stir until completely dissolved. Pour the liquid into a small clean bottle with a lid. Label the bottle and store in the refrigerator.

6 Likes

Wonderful! Winter is here so this is a good time to try it! How long do you think it may last in the fridge?

3 Likes

I’m not sure, this is the first time that I made it. I will see if I can find out though & get back to you. It used to be the go-to for when people had a cold & it’s supposed to be a good preventative for colds too.

3 Likes

Hi, I found out that it will keep in the fridge for 6 months!

3 Likes

Wow. This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Elderberry Syrup is a favorite! :heart_eyes: It’s so tasty and versatile- it can be taken with water as tea, directly, or even added to cooking and desserts. You can use it as a substitute for maple syrup- it’s very yummy on pancakes! :pancakes::yum:

The cinnamon chips are a creative and very tasty addition- thanks so much for sharing this recipe, @Susurrus! :heart:

3 Likes

You’re welcome the added honey makes it taste wonderful too. I really liked that bit too. I have a witchy cookbook of sorts. I’ll look through it and see if there is anything else that I can share. I shared this one because I was thinking with cold season coming up it might be helpful to have something to boost the immune system.

3 Likes

You are absolutely right- elderberry is a go-to during cold and flu season, it’s a fantastic plant to boost immunity. And as an added bonus, it tastes good too! :yum:

I would love to see other recipes you recommend from your witchy cookbook, @Susurrus :heart_eyes: :open_book:

2 Likes

I will go through it and pick one to post later today. I’m so happy that everyone liked this one. It does taste pretty good.

3 Likes