Essential oils - Drop some knowledge on me!

Hello, all!

I have never really used essential oils in my practice and I’d truly like to know what I might be missing out on. I have always made my own oil infusions with herbs and whatnot for use in magic but I am curious if anyone has seen any type of elevation in their own magic with essential oils. Perhaps the higher concentration in essential oils compared to infused oils gives the practice a little more kick?

I’ve read about people using these oils when they can’t burn incense which is a lovely idea, but does it stop there? Just fragrance?

SO MANY QUESTIONS, LOL!

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

7 Likes

I’ve used it to dress candles as well. In my limited experience it has boosted the energy or effectiveness. I’ve only got a small collection so far, but lavender, sandalwood, eucalyptus, pine oil and tea tree oils are all effective I’ve found. Hope this helps a little. Blessed be!

6 Likes

That’s great @Lyn, thanks!

4 Likes

I only have a couple of oils myself but I’ve started playing around with them… As @Lyn said they are good for anointing candles/crystals in spellwork. They’re also quite useful for giving a different balance when using in spell jars/home made oils as if you just use the herbs you’ll often find that some are stronger than others- the essential oils are more concentrated so it’s fun to experiment in that sense.

6 Likes

I mostly use oils for dressing candles, things like that. I have a blessing oil that’s a mixture of rose, rosemary and other things, and High John the Concur oil when I really want to achieve at something. I’ve got to admit to anointing myself at times and using it as sort of a blessing/perfume all in one. But that’s what I mostly use mine for.

6 Likes

They are not just for fragrance! They have lots of uses in aromatherapy, hair and skin care, and for internal use (but not all of them!)

I like to spray them on the pillowcases and bedsheets before going to sleep.

Other ideas are:

• Add them to baths. Make sure you test them on your skin first and do research in case you’re allergic.

• Wear them on the temples of your head to improve mental focus, for headache relief and as an energy booster.

• Dress an unscented candle so it will release the aroma as the candle burns.

• Wear them on your wrists as perfume or on the collar of your shirt.

There are so many essential oils out there. Here’s a list of 150 essential oils and their properties:

If you want something more scientific, check this one out: Credible Essential Oil Databases for Research

6 Likes

I got this set from Amazon I can recommend (couldn’t really find anything similar elsewhere I looked), it has 30 different essential oils in 5 ml bottles and also 2 glass pipettes, I’ve been pretty happy with it! I’m sure eventually I’ll find my favorite oils and can order larger bottles of them, until then I have plenty to sample! :blush:

5 Likes

This is all so great you guys, thank you so much! I’m really excited to see the differences in using my infused oils versus essential oils!

3 Likes

That’s a great looking set! I’ll think I’ll have to pick up the same one.

4 Likes

Ooh that’s such a great starter set! I may need to invest in this when I have the cash :joy:
Thanks for sharing @krista_moon! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

You’re welcome, happy to help! :heart:

3 Likes

Can anyone recommend a good place to look for common magical correspondences for different oils / plants? Would be very helpful :smiley_cat:

4 Likes

@Francisco has mentioned Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences on another post somewhere - it’s right at the top of my shopping list :joy:
oh also Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs :herb:

5 Likes

@krista_moon I often return to This page here from the Thrifty Witch site.

And a couple of books by Scott Cunningham have been my go-tos for quite a while:
The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews and as @Limeberry mentioned, Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs :grinning:

4 Likes

Ooh this link is GLORIOUS! Merci beaucoup :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you very much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also something I’d love to have in my bookshelf, appreciate the recommendations :kissing_heart:

3 Likes