Essential oils - Drop some knowledge on me!

Hello, all!

I have never really used essential oils in my practice and I’d truly like to know what I might be missing out on. I have always made my own oil infusions with herbs and whatnot for use in magic but I am curious if anyone has seen any type of elevation in their own magic with essential oils. Perhaps the higher concentration in essential oils compared to infused oils gives the practice a little more kick?

I’ve read about people using these oils when they can’t burn incense which is a lovely idea, but does it stop there? Just fragrance?

SO MANY QUESTIONS, LOL!

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

13 Likes

I’ve used it to dress candles as well. In my limited experience it has boosted the energy or effectiveness. I’ve only got a small collection so far, but lavender, sandalwood, eucalyptus, pine oil and tea tree oils are all effective I’ve found. Hope this helps a little. Blessed be!

10 Likes

That’s great @Lyn, thanks!

7 Likes

I only have a couple of oils myself but I’ve started playing around with them… As @Lyn said they are good for anointing candles/crystals in spellwork. They’re also quite useful for giving a different balance when using in spell jars/home made oils as if you just use the herbs you’ll often find that some are stronger than others- the essential oils are more concentrated so it’s fun to experiment in that sense.

10 Likes

I mostly use oils for dressing candles, things like that. I have a blessing oil that’s a mixture of rose, rosemary and other things, and High John the Concur oil when I really want to achieve at something. I’ve got to admit to anointing myself at times and using it as sort of a blessing/perfume all in one. But that’s what I mostly use mine for.

9 Likes

They are not just for fragrance! They have lots of uses in aromatherapy, hair and skin care, and for internal use (but not all of them!)

I like to spray them on the pillowcases and bedsheets before going to sleep.

Other ideas are:

• Add them to baths. Make sure you test them on your skin first and do research in case you’re allergic.

• Wear them on the temples of your head to improve mental focus, for headache relief and as an energy booster.

• Dress an unscented candle so it will release the aroma as the candle burns.

• Wear them on your wrists as perfume or on the collar of your shirt.

There are so many essential oils out there. Here’s a list of 150 essential oils and their properties:

If you want something more scientific, check this one out: Credible Essential Oil Databases for Research

9 Likes

I got this set from Amazon I can recommend (couldn’t really find anything similar elsewhere I looked), it has 30 different essential oils in 5 ml bottles and also 2 glass pipettes, I’ve been pretty happy with it! I’m sure eventually I’ll find my favorite oils and can order larger bottles of them, until then I have plenty to sample! :blush:

7 Likes

This is all so great you guys, thank you so much! I’m really excited to see the differences in using my infused oils versus essential oils!

4 Likes

That’s a great looking set! I’ll think I’ll have to pick up the same one.

5 Likes

Ooh that’s such a great starter set! I may need to invest in this when I have the cash :joy:
Thanks for sharing @CelestiaMoon! :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

You’re welcome, happy to help! :heart:

4 Likes

Can anyone recommend a good place to look for common magical correspondences for different oils / plants? Would be very helpful :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

@Francisco has mentioned Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Correspondences on another post somewhere - it’s right at the top of my shopping list :joy:
oh also Scott Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs :herb:

6 Likes

@CelestiaMoon I often return to This page here from the Thrifty Witch site.

And a couple of books by Scott Cunningham have been my go-tos for quite a while:
The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews and as @Limeberry mentioned, Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs :grinning:

6 Likes

Ooh this link is GLORIOUS! Merci beaucoup :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you very much! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also something I’d love to have in my bookshelf, appreciate the recommendations :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

These are s few E.O. recipes I’ve had for so many years, I don’t remember where they cam from.

Homemade White Tiger Balm

5g | 0.18oz camphor essential oil
6g | 0.21oz cajuput essential oil
4g | 0.14oz menthol essential oil
1g | 0.03oz clove bud essential oil
8g | 0.28oz peppermint essential oil

1g | 0.03oz Vitamin E MT-50 (USA / Canada)
10g | 0.35oz beeswax
10g | 0.35oz cocoa butter
3g | 0.1oz emu oil (or andiroba oil)
3g | 0.1oz andiroba oil

Combine the oils & beeswax in a small heat resistant glass measuring cup & place that measuring cup into a small saucepan with about 3cm/1″ of barely simmering water to create a water bath. Heat through until melted.
While the carrier oils are melting, weigh out the essential oils into a non-porous container (glass, preferably).
The carrier oils (the beeswax, specifically) should be just barely melted. You don’t want the mixture to be any hotter than necessary. Add the essential oils, heat & stir as necessary to blend, & then quickly decant into a small container to cool. This recipe makes approximately 51g of tiger balm, which should fit nicely into a 60mL/2oz glass jar. I’d recommend glass for storage for this one thanks to the high essential oil concentration (the essential oils can eat away at plastic or metal).
Massage into sore muscles and enjoy the cooling sensation (it’ll take a couple minutes to kick in)!
How to Make the Best Natural Pain Relief Balm
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Active Time: 20 minutes
Cooling Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 25 minutes

Makes: 2 Balm Containers

Supplies

3 tablespoons beeswax pastilles

2 tablespoons coconut oil

3 teaspoons sweet almond oil

8 drops spearmint essential oil

10 drops wintergreen essential oil

8 drops peppermint essential oil

8 drops frankincense essential oil

Tools

Small balm containers

Double Boiler

Instructions

Fill your double boiler’s bottom half just over half full of water and place on low to medium heat. Then add the beeswax to the top half and place on the stove. Bring the water slowly to a boil, stirring the wax to break it up if it sticks together much. This process should move slowly you don’t bring it to a boil too fast and burn the wax. You will lose its valuable properties if it gets too overheated or burned. Once you hear the water (not the beeswax) starting to boil, turn it way down to the lowest setting.
Once the beeswax is clear and melted, add the coconut oil and sweet almond oil to the beeswax, and stir frequently until melted.
Remove from heat and add in the essential oils. Each one of these oils is a thin consistency, so go slowly when adding your drops! Now stir the mix all together and you are ready to pour.
Fill your containers to just below the rim and leave off the lids for now.
Let the balms cool and solidify at room temperature until they are fully cooled off. Feel the bottom center of the containers after about 30 to 45 minutes to test them. For the larger containers, like the 2-ounce size they will likely take about an hour. Once they are totally cooled off, you can put the lids on and just make a nice label if you’d like, and you are all done!
How To Use Balm for Pain Relief
Take a pea-sized amount of your natural pain relief balm and rub into area that is sore or uncomfortable.
Reapply as needed. For severe pain or strain, you can apply the essential oils on top of the balm, layering for an even deeper effect.

*How To Make Your Own Green Lion Salve:**

**Warm**

**1 Cup of Massage Oil**

**Add Essential Oils (by the drop): 7 Eucalyptus, 7 Camphor, 6 Menthol, 9 Lavender, 7 Tea Tree, 7 Wintergreen and 6 Peppermint**

**Stir all the the ingredients together**
**Leave overnight**
**Melt and stir**

**Add 8 drops of Cinnamon Oil**

**Add ⅓ -½ cup melted beeswax**

**Stir and enjoyuse as needed for sore joints and**

**muscles**

**DIY Tiger Type Balm**

**Full Recipe:**

**1/2 c St.John's Wart infused olive oil**

**/2 c Calendula petals infused sunflower oil**

**1 oz grated Beeswax**

**1/4 c Coconut oil**

**1/4 oz Shea Butter**

**10 drops Camphor essential oil**

**10 drops Peppermint essential oil**

**8 drops Eucalyptus essential oil**

**6 drops Cinnamon (Cassia) essential oil**

**4 drops Clove essential oil Oil Infusions:**

**3 Tbsp dry St.John's Wart &**

**1/2 cup olive oil,**

**In a double boiler heat on low for 2 hours, strain with a fine mesh strainer**

**3 Tbsp dry Calendula Petals &**

**1/2 cup sunflower oil,**

<strong>using a double boiler heat on low for 2 hours, strain with a fine mesh strainer</strong>

**DIY Natural Sinus Relief Body Balm**

**sinus relief body balm to help keep your airways clear.**

**Category: Natural Remedy**

**Prep Time: 5 minutes**

**Active Time: 20 minutes**

**Cooling Time: 1 hour**

**Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes**

**Supplies**

**1.5 oz. beeswax pastilles**

**2 tablespoons coconut oil**

**1 teaspoon sweet almond oil or jojoba oil**

**12 drops rosemary essential oil**

**8 drops eucalyptus essential oil**

**6 drops lemon essential oil**

**8 drops lavender essential oil**

**Tools**

**Double Boiler**

**Lip balm containers with lids**

**Labels and marker if desired**

**Instructions**

**To start, fill the bottom half of your double boiler’s pot to about one-half full, and place over medium high heat. Then, add your beeswax to the top half of the double boiler. Stir it occasionally to be sure the beeswax is breaking up.**

**While the pan is heating to melt the beeswax, measure out the coconut oil and the sweet almond oil to have them all ready. Be careful not to burn the beeswax. When it's starting to melt, go ahead and add the coconut and almond oils. Once these three ingredients are all blended and melted nicely, and there are no lumps or chunks left, you can go ahead and turn off the heat.**

**Add in all of the essential oils. Carefully count each drop as you add them since some of these are runnier oils and they can run pour quickly into that pot!**

**Mix well and then you are all ready to pour the mixture into your balm containers. Pour the mixture slowly and leave just a bit of room at the top of each container.**

**Allow them to cool at room temperature and away from sunlight for close to an hour. Once they are completely cooled, place the lids on. Feel the bottom center of the container to see if it has cooled and if it is, you’re good to go.**

**Notes**

**How To Use Your Natural Sinus Relief Body Balm**

**Place a small pea sized amount on your fingers and rub onto the chest, neck or dot under the nose for natural sinus relief. The balm can also be put on the temples or the back of the neck if you are having stuffiness all over the head as well. Be sure to rub the salve in well.**

**You can also use a warm compress over the on the chest to help boost the**

**relief.**

##  **Headache & Tension Relief Balm**

**If you're looking for a great natural remedy for headaches, this DIY headache and tension relief balm works wonders.**

**Prep Time10 mins**

**Cook Time20 mins**

**Cooling Time45 mins**

**Total Time1 hr 15 mins**

**Course: DIY**

**Cuisine: Natural Remedy**

**Servings: 6**

**Author: Chrystal Johnson**

###  **Equipment**

**• Double Boiler**

**• Small containers with lids – at least 6 unless they are over an ounce each**

**• Labels and marker if desired**

###  **Ingredients**

**• 3 tablespoons beeswax pastilles**

**• 2 tablespoons coconut oil**

**• 2 tablespoons sweet almond oil jojoba oil works well too**

**• 8 drops frankincense essential oil**

**• 10 drops peppermint essential oil**

**• 6 drops spearmint essential oil**

**• 6 drops lavender essential oil**

**• 8 drops basil essential oil**

###  **Instructions**

**• Fill the bottom half of your double boiler with water and set it over medium-high heat. Add the top half of your double boiler and put your beeswax in the pan. It takes a few minutes to start to melt. Once you hear the water getting close to boiling, turn it down to low. The last thing you want is for the wax to burn, so just keep an eye on it once you notice it’s beginning to melt down, because it does go much faster at that point.**

**• While the wax is melting, go ahead and line up your containers so they are ready once it’s all melted. I used 9 containers in total and they were around half an ounce each.**

**• Once your wax is melted and clear in color, measure out your coconut oil and sweet almond oil and add it to the pan, stirring to combine.**

**• Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly (but not harden). Then, add in your essential oils, one at a time. Be careful not to over pour them, as most of these oils are runny in texture. Stir well.**

**• Pour your headache balm into containers slowly, filling a bit below the top edge. Repeat until all of your containers are full.**

**While you're doing this, keep the heat on the pan very low in case you need it to soften up the balm. It does set up quickly and sometimes while pouring you may need to put the pan back on the warm water for a few minutes to re-melt the mixture if you don't move quickly enough.**

**• Now, leave the containers at room temperature on your**

**counter to cool fully. This will take about 30 to 45 minutes.**

**Feel the bottom center to see if it has cooled all the way.**

**If it has, they are good to go.**

###  **Notes**

###  **How to Use Your Headache and Tension Relief Balm**

**Apply a pea sized amount over the back of the neck or any area of muscle tension and rub in all the way. Apply to temples and down hair line for headaches, and layer with essential oils of peppermint, lavender and/or frankincense for more tension relief.**

##  **How to Make an Antihistamine Balm**

**Learn how to make our natural DIY antihistamine balm featuring essential oils quick allergy relief.**

**Prep Time5 mins- Cook Time15 mins- Cooling Time45 mins - Total Time1 hr 5 mins**

**Course: DIY Beauty, Cuisine: Natural Remedy , Servings: 2 Jars**

###  **Equipment**

**• 2-4 small balm containers with lids**

**• Double Boiler**

###  **Ingredients**

**• 1.5 ounces beeswax pastilles or chopped beeswax bars (locally sourced is great for your allergies if you find it)**

**• 3 tablespoons coconut oil**

**• 2 teaspoons sweet almond oil or your favorite carrier oil like jojoba oil or olive oil**

**• 10 drops lemon essential oil**

**• 10 drops lavender essential oil**

**• 10 drops peppermint essential oil**

**• 6 drops frankincense essential oil**

###  **Instructions**

**• Using a double boiler, fill the bottom half of the pot about 2/3 full of water and start it over low to medium heat. Measure out your beeswax and put it into the top half over the water. It is best to heat it slowly, so you don’t burn or overheat the wax, which will protect the properties of it. If it burns, you will lose those great benefits.**

**• While that is heating up, go line up your containers so they are ready to go.**

**• Next, have your coconut oil measured out and ready. If it has solidified and is hard to scoop out and measure, pop it in a bowl of hot water to soften it up. Once the beeswax is fully melted and there are no yellow lumps remaining, stir in the coconut oil and the sweet almond oil. Let them melt together with the beeswax.**

**• Once they are mixed together and clear, you can remove the pan from the heat and add the essential oils. All of these oils are a thin consistency, even the frankincense, which comes from a resin, so be cautious when dropping them in. It is super easy to have them get away from you and end up with twice the drops you needed. Now, stir in the oils well to disperse in the balm base.**

**• Pour the mixture into your containers, which you lined up earlier. Take it slowly and leave just a slight gap at the top of the container.**

**• At this point, they need to rest on a counter top at room temperature to cool off. Best thing to do is not to move them, so that they don’t spill, and the top will solidify smoothly. After about 30 to 45 minutes, they will likely be cooled off all the way, but this will depend on the container you used too. Check to see by feeling the bottom center of the container. If it is warm still, give them awhile longer. If you put the lids on too soon, moisture will form inside the lid after you close it and you don’t want that. Once they are cooled off totally, put your lids on and make up some cute labels if you’d like.These make awesome gifts for so many occasions!**

###  **Notes**

###  **How To Use**

**1. Run your thumb nail, if needed, to loosen the balm and then take a small pea-sized amount and rub on area desired. If it is for breathing or sinus, rub on chest, neck, or just under nose. It can also be put on the bottom of the feet.**

**2. Apply directly on top of bites and stings.**

**3. If the balm stays too firm for your liking, you can re-melt and add more oil. Use less beeswax in your next batch.*

To guess, I probably got some of these @ 
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/homemade-white-tiger-balm/
7 Likes

Wonderful Wisdom @Garnet !
Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

A treasure trove of essential oil wisdom! Thank you for sharing your recipes, @Garnet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I always keep a small container of Tiger Balm in an apothecary bag in my purse. It comes in handy in more ways than I can keep track of! Especially in the summer months with bug bites and other outdoor itchies.

Great to have a DIY recipe! Thanks again :heart:

3 Likes

I have a recipe for Baby balm if someone wants it.

4 Likes