Fake đź”® Psychics/Tarot Readers

I love :heart: my local metaphysical shop but I had the opportunity to listen into a tarot reading yesterday. An elderly man, so handicapped he couldn’t make it up the two steps to get into the main section of the building, came in for his regular reading. His wife was with him. I listened in as I shopped. (1. The store was closed when he got there to give privacy but I get special privileges everywhere in life. I don’t know why. :man_shrugging:t3: 2. I know, it’s rude to listen in.)

The tarot reader regularly asked him leading questions. Is your mother dead? (Most likely she was. He was like 80.) Did you have a relative with a name beginning in D? That kind of stuff. :thinking: He would answer yes or no to the questions and she would continue the reading, telling him the spirits were communicating through the cards. My blood boiled. The shop owner believes she is the real deal. I don’t know the tarot reader. Maybe she thinks she is the real deal, too.

Edit: Oops. Posted too soon. :rofl:

Here’s the thing. I know every reader is different. I personally don’t ask for the intention or questions beforehand. :upside_down_face: I ask if there is a question or questions, how many - up to three - they may have. Then I do the reading. I don’t ask questions during the reading, either. :flower_playing_cards: (I may misread the cards. That’s on me. But I don’t believe that has happened yet.) Then I ask them if the reading resonated and allow them to share what the intent or questions were after the fact. :question: (I do have one person that likes to share beforehand and I try to keep that from influencing my reading.)

The cards speak for themselves. Real magic will prove itself. :star_struck: I don’t need parlor tricks. Wondering your thoughts on the matter.

7 Likes

Very true! You seem like you’re doing fine. But…that person is a fake :lying_face: hence, the phinnocio nose lol but for real I can’t stand fakes and people who charge outrageous amounts of money for a bland job. This person you’re talking about is just asking questions about generalized things in his questions,premonitions, etc.

6 Likes

I think you’re right, during the reading there shouldn’t be many questions. I will give maybe a situation or usually one question that covers what I’m looking for. I have never had any other readings further than my own, @MeganB, or another friend from the coven & I’ll tell you they got it right without much influence from me. If the universe/spirit/God/Goddess wants you to know something, the cards will tell you.

6 Likes

It’s such a bummer to know people out there are actively taking advantage of others and profiting from it as well. I don’t ask anything of those I’m reading except to concentrate on a question or issue that s/he’d like addressed. I always inform the person that if the cards don’t seem to match that perhaps another issue or question was what the person truly needed or wanted answered. (I’ve never known them to steer me wrong!) I view Tarot as a vehicle for truth - leading questions asked aloud, and with seemingly forced specifics, at least for me, anyway, would potentially block this path.
However, as you stated that this gentleman being read was a regular, perhaps the reader does provide a worthwhile service? Otherwise, why would this man return?

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be so harsh on the reader. Like you said @praecog29, every Tarot reader is different. Just like everyone has their own interpretation of the cards, each will be unique in their approach to the querent and will add their own flavor to the reading.

It’s possible that the reader came from a psychic-oriented background where those types of questions are just more common. Or maybe they were focusing more on the person that on the cards. In the end, both can be equally important.

I’m not saying there aren’t people who will definitely exploit or scam their clients. Some will manipulate or scare people into giving them money, and commit obvious fraud, hurting people in the meantime.

7 Likes

This is an interesting topic because of the many variations of readings, some which I do not understand. I consider myself a “surface reader” for lack of a better word. I set the question before the read and interpret based on the card(s) that are drawn. I have not done many readings for others but I have watched some videos where people are doing a reading and are able to tell an elaborate story as they pull the cards. And one of the readings I did for someone (who also does Tarot divination) and their meanings of the cards differed from mine as they would use the card in a different way. For example they might pull a seven of wands, but they would define it as having seven attempts remaining or something like that. I’m not sure if that is normal or not, but it was interesting and confusing. Can the cards be used to quantify a specific time when doing a reading or is that them putting their own spin on the process?
And for now I always use my books; I have three I use to reference back to. Blessed be.

6 Likes

Well, I can see it both ways. Asking questions to get a better reading is a good thing. But it does sound like it was a scam. Which is sad because it drags down everyone who reads the cards, even if they’re doing it for fun and not profit.

5 Likes

@Saulamay, the modified Gaia spread I use can be used for time :clock10: based readings. It really depends on the reading when I am sitting there with the person. Like Francisco reminded me, every Tarot reader is different. I definitely read the cards as a story, though. Many people tend to remember stories easier than facts by themselves.

@wellie, It’s possible she’s legit. It’s also possible, that he finds comfort in what she says even if she’s a fake. :thinking: Again, I don’t know, but I do know I don’t like leading questions coming from Tarot readers or Psychics. Personal opinion, but I believe if they are the real deal then they don’t need to ask questions.

@Francisco, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. I don’t know her. I don’t know the guy getting the reading. I know the shop owner and he believes she is the real deal. :man_shrugging:t3: When I do a reading, I don’t only read the cards, I read the person. Leading questions are always red flags to me, though.

@Susurrus and @Amethyst, I totally agree. Questions themselves aren’t bad. It’s when everything a reader says is prefaced by a question designed to get specific answers from someone. I love that you, Krissie, tagged our friend, Megan, too. :wink: I wish I’d have thought of that. She’s perfect for this discussion.

@christina4, the money thing really upsets me. I should have asked how much do the readings cost. :man_facepalming:t3: Next time. :slight_smile: I’ve seen people pay north of $75 for an hour sitting. If that’s what people enjoy, I guess more power to them. I find it difficult to charge $25/50 depending on the spreads. (So difficult that although I have the prices set I have yet to actually charge anyone. :rofl:)

6 Likes

I purposely tell the Querent to think of a specific question and not to tell me. I think that knowing may somehow influence my readings. It’s the one aspect of Crowley’s Book of Thoth technique I use.

8 Likes

I guess there’s things I do like to ask otherwise it might be a message not intended for whomever I’m reading for or if I genuinely have no idea the situation sometimes I struggle to piece the messages together. I’m trying to learn to read the cards intuitively but I think mainly I ask questions during the reading as I’m still suffering from a bit of imposter syndrome and don’t always trust myself

7 Likes

You do a great job & the more you do it the easier they will come. I don’t think it’s imposter syndrome, maybe learning curve? Trust yourself, you’re good at what you do.

5 Likes

Women have a sixth sense, use it for your own good.
If you do not trust yourself, what else then?
Not very good at reading. I am learning.
After years playing with other card sets, finally came around to play Tarot.
Have lost my fears here?
I tend to draw the cards, read all the possibilities and walk away munching my thoughts.
I get different point of views this way.
The only time I do not like it and jump to conclusions is when i am feeling anxious about a subject.
It helps me to distract my mind on something else.
Then again, I’m just human.
Keep doing the good work!

6 Likes

Each of us can tap into the magic flowing through us. Patience and practice and you will get there. :grinning:

5 Likes

I agree with Francisco everyone has a different background if they are a tarot or oracle reader. Some are more psychic based, some are more intuitive based, some are more empathic, some healing based, etc. Ive seen some readers just straight up tell people what the card is about from the guide book and thats it for their answer.

7 Likes