Finding your Patron Deity

I just finished the lesson on finding your Patron Deity and could a little more insight. While doing this lesson all I could think about was the God Ares, I have always been very interested in Ares but I’ve never really did any research. Is there any books or websites that are good read about him, I’m not saying I’m being called by him or anything because I’m not sure but I’d like to do more research on him now.

7 Likes

Fortunately for you, the Greek deities are well-researched and there is a lot written about them! I don’t have any book recommendations but one of my main sources of research for Greek deities is Theoi.com.

I’ll drop some links here for you to get you started :blush:

ARES - Greek God of War & Battlelust (Roman Mars)

ARES was the Olympian god of war, battlelust, courage and civil order. In ancient Greek art he was depicted as either a mature, bearded warrior armed for battle, or a nude, beardless youth with a helm and spear. [from Theoi.com]

Then we have an Ares devotional here on Spells8 that has some basic information to get started.

The Wikipedia article is also a great place to start! Though all of the information can be edited by others – and I wouldn’t trust Wikipedia as a primary source – there are so many sources at the bottom of the entry that you can be reading for literal days :laughing:

I hope this is enough to get you started! I don’t personally work with Ares but if you’ve got specific questions, I may be able to help find you answers.

9 Likes

Thank you so much!

7 Likes

You’re very welcome! I’m glad I could help :heart:

7 Likes

Had a dream last night and I’m not sure if it was a buzzard or a vulture that I saw in my dream but vultures are a sign of the god Ares but I’m not sure which bird it was.

4 Likes

I had a dream last night and in the dream I was talking to my sister and told her “ I feel a pull between Athena and Ares as my Patron Deity” so I guess I need to do more research on Athena and her relationship with Ares.

4 Likes

Everything I’ve read about him he lives for battle & conflict, but he is also a very stronge father figure.

4 Likes

I feel he could be very misunderstood. Like his “bloodlust for battle” may come from his parents rejecting him and not being there for him so he made himself strong and mean to hide the hurt! And being a great father to his kids unlike we he had I relate to that a lot!

4 Likes

@brandy20 many dieties are misunderstood. Some not understood at all. And others, research is spot on. When working with any diety, make sure its right for u. Do your own research, and come to your own conclusions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.